Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:57 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
What are you driving that only gets 15 mpg highway?
If anyone has a frequent long commute, then buy a fuel efficient vehicle to go to work. Leave the trucks home until you need them to tow your pleasure boat or trailer for the weekends. There are plenty of great used cars and trucks on the market so that most people could own one truck and one fuel efficient vehicle at once, rather than have one newer and more expensive big gas guzzler. There are tons of cheap used and reliable 4-cylinder Japanese cars around.

One vehicle can't be everything. And stop buying new cars and trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 11:03 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Without oil we would be back to the dark ages.
The 1800's. The Dark Ages.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:09 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
If anyone has a frequent long commute, then buy a fuel efficient vehicle to go to work. Leave the trucks home until you need them to tow your pleasure boat or trailer for the weekends. There are plenty of great used cars and trucks on the market so that most people could own one truck and one fuel efficient vehicle at once, rather than have one newer and more expensive big gas guzzler. There are tons of cheap used and reliable 4-cylinder Japanese cars around.

One vehicle can't be everything. And stop buying new cars and trucks.
Another reason to work from home. Businesses that set it up for their employees to do so are ahead of the game. I wish more would catch on.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:38 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
There are plenty of great used cars and trucks on the market
There's a lot less than there should be due to "cash for clunkers."

Old 02-24-2011, 12:03 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Oil is not a dwindling resource. That is a total myth. Who is telling you that?

Industry experts now believe that the earth is constantly producing oil. The old "dinosaur theory" has long ago been rejected. New finds of oil have been huge, and we keep discovering more.

Further, we have more oil here in America than all of the Middle East combined, we are told, and we now have new processes that will allow us to extract the oil that is in the Dakota's (I believe that's where it is... I forget ... I just heard about this the other day on the news)

We are an oil rich nation.
FINALLY ... someone is paying attention!!!

But it's even more dramatic than you suggest here, so let me give you the latest news. These proven oil reserves found in Alaska and in the Dakotas are the largest known reserves in the world. Just in the Dakotas, the estimates are 2 Trillion Barrels of LITE SWEET CRUDE ... not some shale that requires elaborate extraction technology. This is the very best, most pure form of petroleum known.

The United States, TODAY, has MULTIPLE times the amount of oil in the Middle East .... with the proven fields in Alaska discovered in the 1970's and classified by the government.

Quote:
We will never not need oil. There is nothing to replace it with, and more products come from oil than you can imagine. Without oil we would be back to the dark ages. Oil is the fuel that drives our industries, and quite literally, our life style.

Obama is hurting his country by preventing us from obtaining and developing our own reserves. He is in violation of a court order to end the ban in the gulf, and his attitude and policies are completely wrong, and short sighted. The sooner he is out of office the better. The man is a joke.
This is where you are way off the mark ... and it's important to be accurate, and understand the issue. Obama has nothing to do with this. The reality is, it is utterly nonsensical to be drilling offshore with the vast, proven on-shore reserves available, and this cover-up of vast oil reserves has been ongoing for 40 years.

There is an intricate web of geopolitics underlying this conspiracy with several complimentary benefits to the gangster oil companies and banks behind this. The Federal Reserve "dollar" being the world reserve currency, and the medium of payment for all oil transactions worldwide, being a huge part of this. This made it necessary for all countries who wanted to purchase oil to have US Dollars, which allowed the FED to create massive amounts of money and ship it around the world, basically using every oil producing nation's oil reserves as a backing for the otherwise worthless dollar that was taken off the gold standard entirely in 1972 (I believe it was 72').

We struck a deal with the oil rich nations (our puppet dictators) that we won't produce US Oil reserves ... in exchange, these nations will accept nothing but US Dollars for their oil transactions, and in turn, buy military hardware and other stuff from us with a chunk of those revenues. Play ball, and we'll ensure that each one remains in power in their respective nations ... don't play ball, say bye-bye.

This also had the added benefit of keeping large amounts of oil OFF the market .... supply-demand ... along with a scapegoat anytime the Oil Companies wanted to jack up the prices .... they just tell OPEC ... the new price of oil starting today is $$ .... then they blame the Arabs. All the while, they completely control those oil rich nations. The sudden release and production of US Oil in the vast amounts available could bankrupt every oil producing nation on earth, and they know this ... so they do as they are told.

And from a long term strategic perspective ... the decision to use and produce everyone else's oil allowed the gangsters to keep US Oil Reserves hidden and untapped, as the Bankers bankrupt America and drive us into receivership ... meaning they get to keep all of that US Oil for themselves, once they have effectively taken total control of the US due to the inability for us to repay the massive national debt owed to the banker gangsters. (which is the current situation now).

Iraq, Iran, and Venezuela have been uncooperative, which is why Saddam Hussein was taken out ... why Chavez has been under constant assassination/overthrow pressure, and why Iran is now the primary target for the next military misadventure .... has nothing to do with Nuclear Weapons program.

The American people by and large are so clueless as to the reality of how the world works, they actually believe whatever is told them on the news. They think the Arabs are the reason why oil prices increase and decrease, not realizing that those decisions are made in London and New York by these criminal gangsters controlling everything.

It's funny .... some people believe that Saudi Arabia could hold the US and the rest of the world hostage with oil? PULLLLEEEZE ..... Switzerland could invade and take Saudi Arabia if it so desired. The US could take Saudi Arabia without breaking a sweat. We (actually, they, the gangsters) OWN Saudi Arabia.

Let me give you all an historic example of how this game works .... in the 1970's ... remember the oil crisis of the 70's? Gas lines ... oil production restricted by OPEC ... skyrocketing Crude Oil prices? All of it CONTRIVED. Those big increases in crude prices left the OPEC boys flush with massive amounts of cash. What to do with all of that money? Buy gold and silver ... and the prices of gold and silver went to $850 and $50 an ounce respectively. They also built this massive expanding infrastructure on these huge revenues. Then, the crude price was dropped suddenly ....and the gold and silver market intentional crashed ... that left the Arabs stuck like chuck .... needing to sell off that gold and silver at 1/3 of the price they paid for it just to compensate for the lost revenue experienced by the dramatic drop in crude prices. They were suckered ... and the gangsters were able to buy back that gold and silver that they sold for $850 and $50 ... for $150 and $7

The entire worldwide financial market is a gigantic scheme, as is the latest uprising in the Middle East .... the goal now is to drive the price of crude oil to $200+ per barrel over the next year or so, while continuing to destroy the US Dollar and economy. Sometime after the GREAT ECONOMIC collapse of Europe and the US that will happen by 2012, those US Oil supplies will then be allowed to produce, rebuilding the US, and by that time, the banks will have swallowed up large portions of residential and commercial real estate as those values continue to implode.

That's when we'll see a new currency and new financial system in place that heavily operated electronically .... read: cashless .... so that all public and private transactions can be monitored and controlled and taxed by the friendly saviors coming to our economic rescue from the depression they themselves created in the first place.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:05 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
Not me hihihi

Old 02-24-2011, 12:14 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
But that doesn't seem realistic.
US people are entitled and choose to have big houses outside of the area knowing that they're going to have to drive an hour or more to work. Choices, choices, choices.

Why not consider starting a bus company? Not you personally, of course. But if there's a need, someone should be able to figure out and meet the need. I could never understand why CA had such bad public transport and love of cars.
Why not start using Craig's List for carpooling?

If we need to live in apartments to be closer to work, we need to do that.
Gazillions (hyperbole) of people with children live in apartments. It doesn't kill them.
That's right!! Let them eat cake. Let them ride in rickshaws, and live in sardine cans stacked one atop another ... while the royalty are the only one's who's children have a backyard to play in.

Disgraceful ignorance. If you want to be a serf ... and that is exactly what you propose, good for you.

We choose not to be serfs .... choices, choices, choices.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:24 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
It's really insulting.

This picture I took on my way to work. I have to share it over and over and over again with anyone who drives a car.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:14 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What on earth have you been smoking? Oil is absolutely a fossil fuel...(You need to stop reading World Net Daily)

1. Oil is not an infinite resource.
2. Remaining supplies of oil should be used wisely.
3. Alternative sources of energy need to be brought on line soon.

U.S. Crude Oil, Natural Gas, and Natural Gas Liquids Reserves

Sorry, I rarely read WorldNet Daily. I didn't get my information from there. I got it from the most reliable source, the drilling and exploration industry itself. This is no secret. I'm surprised this is news to you. In fact, I heard a news story on the radio just last week, about the huge reserves that we have, which we now have the technology to extract easily.

My brother-in-law works in the "oil patch" and has owned his own businesses. He agrees with me, and added information when we last discussed this. I also used to work in the industry, for a company that manufactured oilfield equipment. I was in the sales department. I read the industry news letters. Even then, they didn't believe it was a "fossil fuel" but were begining to embrace the theory that it was constantly being produced. Now they fully embrace this theory.

Even Donald Trump made mention of the fact of our huge reserves on Cavuto about two weeks ago, when Cavuto asked what he would do if he were President. As I said, this is not news, and it isn't a secret. I don't care what your link may say. Your link comes from the government, which has an agenda. They want you to drive electric cars and they want wind energy. Ridiculous!

See, we develop new technologies that allow us to learn new things. When we learn something new, we discard the old outdated theories. Knowledge is constantly changing. That's how it works. See?

Bet you didn't know it is much cheaper to drill today than it was 30 or 40 years ago. And, we can drill parallel. We do not just drill straight down.

See what you don't know?

Old 02-24-2011, 01:39 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
I'm having trouble because of extenuating circumstances. It if wasn't for that, I'd be able to do it.

So, I looked yesterday into taking an express commuter bus that would drop me off about 4 blocks from work. Cool. Except, the fare, one way, is $4.90. Just to ride 16 miles. That would be $9.80 a day to go to and from work. So, until gas goes up so much it makes it more economically feasible for me to stop driving, then I will.

I'm in so cal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies