Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:50 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times

Advertisements

I am. I have to travel about 60 miles tomorrow round trip to work. At $3.56 a gal & 15 mpg thats going to cost me $14.24 & burn up 4 gallons of gas. I know gas will continue to climb with no end in sight & food & utilities will as well. I bet we see the $5.00 mark by summer. I believe this is all about filthy greed & nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 01:22 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Stop yer whining...Gas is $1.20 per liter here....That is $4.54 per gallon. What the heck are you driving that only gets 15 mpg?

Old 02-24-2011, 01:38 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
It's €.85 here ($1.20/liter) and I buy petrol at US prices.
That's $4.52/gallon for overseas military prices. And AAFES doesn't pay for taxes, although they do enjoy gouging the military member.
The government subsidizes your petrol.

You choose to live 60 miles from where you work and drive an inefficient car.
Choices, it's all about choices.

Isn't oil big business?
Don't you like the free market?
People love the free market until it hits them in the pocketbook.

My car gets 32 mpg.

Perhaps you should be looking at public or carpool transport; or moving closer to work.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:51 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Oil is a dwindling resource, but the recent drastic hikes in prices are almost solely due to the Libyan and Egyptian conflicts. They probably will rise higher and then crash once the Libyan crisis is over, assuming that Iran or Saudi Arabia do not have experience similar instability. If they do (and I honestly don't think Saudi Arabia will), you may see pump prices skyrocket.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:11 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I am. I have to travel about 60 miles tomorrow round trip to work. At $3.56 a gal & 15 mpg thats going to cost me $14.24 & burn up 4 gallons of gas. I know gas will continue to climb with no end in sight & food & utilities will as well. I bet we see the $5.00 mark by summer. I believe this is all about filthy greed & nothing more.
I am. This is ridiculous. There is no reason for prices to be this high. We need to be drilling and refining. How many years will we be dependent on our enemies for oil?

Fortunately, I am basically retired. I am doing Web designing for my retirement career. I had been doing ceramic tile, but that dried up, thanks to Obama. But it's okay... I'm getting to old for it now. After his election, worked dropped off to zilch. My friends in construction have experienced the same. No one can afford to build remodel or do home improvements.

I don't go anywhere I don't have to, and I try as much as possible to combine trips, so I don't drive excess miles.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:20 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
I am. I have to travel about 60 miles tomorrow round trip to work. At $3.56 a gal..... .

We (NJ) can get full service regular for 2.89-3.09.

How much does the state of CA gouge you guys taxwise per gallon?

Last edited by doc1; 02-24-2011 at 02:32 AM..

Old 02-24-2011, 02:25 AM

446 posts, read 649,442 times
Quote:
It's definitely greed jacking up the prices, at least at the current moment. Foreign and domestic powers alike gouging prices and the like. It ain't about running out of the stuff--yet. That will come into play in the upcoming decades, most likely, but not yet.

As for your particular case, a lot of the squeeze you're feeling seems to come from distance and bad mileage. Only 15 miles a gallon? Now, if you have to haul stuff to scattered locations and need a truck, or deliver big loads, or something that requires 60 miles of driving and a vehicle that only gets 15 mpg, it's understandable, but if you are just driving to a fixed workplace location and don't have to haul big loads, perhaps consider moving closer to your workplace. Heck, if it's an option, consider taking a bus or train sometimes. Might help a bit with the costs.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:25 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Oil is a dwindling resource, but the recent drastic hikes in prices are almost solely due to the Libyan and Egyptian conflicts. They probably will rise higher and then crash once the Libyan crisis is over, assuming that Iran or Saudi Arabia do not have experience similar instability. If they do (and I honestly don't think Saudi Arabia will), you may see pump prices skyrocket.
Oil is not a dwindling resource. That is a total myth. Who is telling you that?

Industry experts now believe that the earth is constantly producing oil. The old "dinosaur theory" has long ago been rejected. New finds of oil have been huge, and we keep discovering more.

Further, we have more oil here in America than all of the Middle East combined, we are told, and we now have new processes that will allow us to extract the oil that is in the Dakota's (I believe that's where it is... I forget ... I just heard about this the other day on the news)

We are an oil rich nation.

We will never not need oil. There is nothing to replace it with, and more products come from oil than you can imagine. Without oil we would be back to the dark ages. Oil is the fuel that drives our industries, and quite literally, our life style.

Obama is hurting his country by preventing us from obtaining and developing our own reserves. He is in violation of a court order to end the ban in the gulf, and his attitude and policies are completely wrong, and short sighted. The sooner he is out of office the better. The man is a joke.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:46 AM

545 posts, read 1,555,918 times
Quote:
Drive a more fuel-efficient car or start taking transit.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:52 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Stop yer whining...Gas is $1.20 per liter here....That is $4.54 per gallon. What the heck are you driving that only gets 15 mpg?
Maybe if you realized that driving from inland Southern California to LA and/or Orange County with it's unpredictable traffic/accidents/road work and closures is quite different than where you're at it would be easy to understand.

Cal Trans and other Government Agencies often don't notify it's residents accurately about road conditions also. You can have a 30 min trip on a good day turn into a 2 hour ordeal easily and if you call someone to check the State/Local government websites they will list it as free and clear when it's obviously not. (I've experienced that quite a few times).

I was stopped on the the 15 Fwy for 3+ hours once when they had to land a Helicopter to pick up accident victims and could not turn around or get off the Fwy and was stuck there all morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies