Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 04:11 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,336,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
I agree with what your saying, alot of people made this sacrifice for their children. At one time renting a 2 bedroom apt. in the LA/Orange Co. area was around $ 1200. a month when inland you could buy with a low down and $800-900 a month for a 3-4 bedroom with a yard.

Hoping that jobs and better infrastructure would be created in those communities in the future so you wouldn't have to commute. Never happened and alot of people are moving back to the Cities, but in this economy it's harder with falling home prices and fewer jobs.
But that doesn't seem realistic.
US people are entitled and choose to have big houses outside of the area knowing that they're going to have to drive an hour or more to work. Choices, choices, choices.

Why not consider starting a bus company? Not you personally, of course. But if there's a need, someone should be able to figure out and meet the need. I could never understand why CA had such bad public transport and love of cars.
Why not start using Craig's List for carpooling?

If we need to live in apartments to be closer to work, we need to do that.
Gazillions (hyperbole) of people with children live in apartments. It doesn't kill them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 04:25 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,598,188 times
Oil prices are set by commodity trading, not the oil companies. Enviromentalist share part of the blame for the current rise in oil prices. Their policies restricting where oil companies can drill in USA and preventing new refineries from being built has caused us and much of the world to rely on oil from troubled regions of the world. When trouble happens in those countries, oil speculators panic at the potential reduction or stop of oil coming from those countries causing the price of oil to rise. Enviromentalist should want oil drilling in America instead of in third world countries. Drilling in USA means companies must use employee safety equipment and obey enviromental protection regulations by using special proceedures and equipment,...things not required or used in many of these troubled areas. Oil companies pay their rig workers very well and with good benefits,...pay and benefits so good that unions never took hold in the industry cause they weren't needed. Perhaps that's why Democratic party doesn't like oil drilling here in America,...no union dues to be funneled to their re-election fund. Don't drill off the coast of Florida,...but Castro gives China permission to drill off the coast of Florida. Will Cuba and China use enviromental protections off the coast of Florida that American companies would be required to use if they drilled there? HELL NO!

Old 02-24-2011, 09:31 AM

33,596 posts, read 37,237,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Oil is not a dwindling resource. That is a total myth. Who is telling you that?

Industry experts now believe that the earth is constantly producing oil. The old "dinosaur theory" has long ago been rejected. New finds of oil have been huge, and we keep discovering more.

Further, we have more oil here in America than all of the Middle East combined, we are told, and we now have new processes that will allow us to extract the oil that is in the Dakota's (I believe that's where it is... I forget ... I just heard about this the other day on the news)

We are an oil rich nation.

We will never not need oil. There is nothing to replace it with, and more products come from oil than you can imagine. Without oil we would be back to the dark ages. Oil is the fuel that drives our industries, and quite literally, our life style.

Obama is hurting his country by preventing us from obtaining and developing our own reserves. He is in violation of a court order to end the ban in the gulf, and his attitude and policies are completely wrong, and short sighted. The sooner he is out of office the better. The man is a joke.
What on earth have you been smoking? Oil is absolutely a fossil fuel...(You need to stop reading World Net Daily)

1. Oil is not an infinite resource.
2. Remaining supplies of oil should be used wisely.
3. Alternative sources of energy need to be brought on line soon.

U.S. Crude Oil, Natural Gas, and Natural Gas Liquids Reserves

Old 02-24-2011, 10:28 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,708,149 times
The rich sure won't. When gas was over $4 a few years ago I saw one interview with a wealthy person who said she was grateful for the reduced traffic.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:32 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,225,222 times
I drive 40 miles a day just to take kids to and from school--I usually have at least one more extra trip with sports practices. We love where we live, so we take turns carpooling kids with friends/neighbors (we don't have school bus service) and drive fuel efficient vehicles. If the situation changes, you have to change with it.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:39 AM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,249,398 times
Default Who is struggling with the high gas prices ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Who is struggling with the high gas prices ?
Not me. I am driving a $500 1993 Honda Civic and getting 30 mpg in the city. My commute is only 7 miles each way. I don't mind gas prices climbing if it mean less people driving SUVs and AWD vehicles. Shrug.

When I was growing up, our family of five was in an old VW bug and a Mustang for many years. Later on the family cars were a tiny Subaru coupe and a wagon. And if you can't fit your family into a Mazda 3 wagon, then your kids need to lose weight.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 AM

29,981 posts, read 43,019,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Oil is a dwindling resource, but the recent drastic hikes in prices are almost solely due to the Libyan and Egyptian conflicts. They probably will rise higher and then crash once the Libyan crisis is over, assuming that Iran or Saudi Arabia do not have experience similar instability. If they do (and I honestly don't think Saudi Arabia will), you may see pump prices skyrocket.
We have hundreds of years worth of oil within US boundaries but the goventment has had it inexcessible. A POTUS who wanted the USA to maintain its exceptionality would not be working as an obstruction to accessing it while intently researching/developing future energy sources.

Meanwhile the Saudies are talking about ramping up production. Do we want to keep sending our wealth and the lives of our young men and women overseas because it does not fit Obama's agenda to "Drill Here/Drill Now" ?

The Fed is playing a role in pushing oil and food prices higher. We can either sit back and take it or fight the far left cronies and Obama with every legislative and judicial means available!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:41 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,323,271 times
LOL @ "conservatives" who believe gas should be eternally at around 2-3/gal.

More LOL @ people who didn't prepare accordingly and looked at the 2009 prices as if they'd remain there.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:50 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,971,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I am. I have to travel about 60 miles tomorrow round trip to work. At $3.56 a gal & 15 mpg thats going to cost me $14.24 & burn up 4 gallons of gas.
What are you driving that only gets 15 mpg highway?

Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,178,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Choices, choices, choices.
I think it's hysterical how you keep rambling on about "choices" in this thread, when you want to FORCE your "choices" onto everybody else in other threads.

Gotta love that raging hypocrisy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies