Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:50 AM

210 posts, read 209,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Don't know where you go but where I live you don't have the money you don't get to see the doctor.

As far as purchasing health insurance sometimes you have to decide on if you should feed your family or purchased health insurance. Sorry but putting food on the table usually wins.
Oh u can eat cheaply if you try..again I was a $5 A Hour pizza delivery boy A Few Years Ago and did just fine..i am doing better Now but i never wanted nor will take a government handout. You can Always go to an emergency room and there are many walk-in urgent care thingamajigs where you can make a payment arrangement..many take Credit Cards as well..and low cost insurance is available...google it. Most employers (even freaking walmart) offer it..if some lazy slob chooses not to purchase it, and instead buy cigarettes and other crap, i am not going to subsidize his stupidity..at least i don't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana View Post
What Donna said. You want doctors to give free care? Privately purchased health insurance is expensive.
oh well..if someone wants it they can buy it or not..thats how the free market works...the government is not responsible for people's health. Especially the federal government. Any rights not enumerated to the Fed. Gov.. In the Constitution, belong to the states, So many states rights are being violated, Every Day. I think Medicare and SS are unconstitutional too and should be phased out...we are becoming a nanny state

Old 04-12-2011, 07:13 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALTERWALTER View Post
Oh u can eat cheaply if you try..again I was a $5 A Hour pizza delivery boy A Few Years Ago and did just fine..i am doing better Now but i never wanted nor will take a government handout. You can Always go to an emergency room and there are many walk-in urgent care thingamajigs where you can make a payment arrangement..many take Credit Cards as well..and low cost insurance is available...google it. Most employers (even freaking walmart) offer it..if some lazy slob chooses not to purchase it, and instead buy cigarettes and other crap, i am not going to subsidize his stupidity..at least i don't want to.
Where I live walk-in urgent cost $175 to walk in and that was a few years ago. I am sure they are more now.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I'm generally in favor of it, but it can't work in the US like it does Denmark for example.

We are too overpopulated, only China and India have higher populations than we do. It should not be offered to illegal non-citizens.

We are the most unhealthy people on earth. Too many Americans are obese, are smokers, are alcoholics & drug users, etc.

It might possibly work if anyone in the above categories were denied coverage. Those are not pre-existing conditions, but rather lifestyle choices. Unfortunately, people aren't going to give up their McDonald's 5 days a week, their cigs and beer, or their crystal meth.
I have never understood the bold. There would be more people paying into the system as well. I don't get why it wouldn't work in the US.

People put too much faith in this lifestyle stuff. I don't advocate smoking or doing drugs, drinking too much, or eating totally unhealthily, but some things can't be controlled. One's genes do play a role.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Where I live walk-in urgent cost $175 to walk in and that was a few years ago. I am sure they are more now.
so what do u want it free? $175 Is A Reasonable Charge

Old 04-12-2011, 10:55 PM

Thumbs up free

free markets

Old 04-13-2011, 01:13 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have never understood the bold. There would be more people paying into the system as well. I don't get why it wouldn't work in the US.

People put too much faith in this lifestyle stuff. I don't advocate smoking or doing drugs, drinking too much, or eating totally unhealthily, but some things can't be controlled. One's genes do play a role.
In regards to that I meant that we have a larger population than European countries, and most of all, definitely a larger proportion of obese persons, and people with very unhealthy habits.

You certainly would have more people paying in, but a larger proportion people receiving substantial payouts. Something like 30% of Americans are overweight or obese and that's a high # in proportion to Denmark for example. I think the obesity rate most of Europe is about 10%

Obesity statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

Old 04-13-2011, 08:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
In regards to that I meant that we have a larger population than European countries, and most of all, definitely a larger proportion of obese persons, and people with very unhealthy habits.

You certainly would have more people paying in, but a larger proportion people receiving substantial payouts. Something like 30% of Americans are overweight or obese and that's a high # in proportion to Denmark for example. I think the obesity rate most of Europe is about 10%

Obesity statistics - countries compared - NationMaster
Looks like it's higher that that for obesity in many European countries. Some people focus too much on obesity. The smoking rates in Europe are ridiculous, including Denmark.

Smoking rates by country. « Markosun's Blog

Old 04-13-2011, 08:56 AM

8,882 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
It is absolutely, 100%, not that simple or cut and dry. Got cancer? An emergency room will be of little good.
That's why I insured my family in case someone got cancer.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:02 AM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
think about Wendell Potter?

(Wendell Potter gave testimony before the Senate panel on health care reform. He was the head of corporate communications for Cigna and he explained how health insurers make promises they have no intention of keeping, how they flout regulations to protect consumers, and how they skew political debate using big money to spread false information. He also wrote the book, "Deadly Spin" and the underhanded crap he was lead to do for the insurance companies)

Republicans against healthcare reform especially, do you buy it or do you think he is lying and the health care companies are doing a good job for our population regarding our health, being truthful? Or do you care either way?

Do you think the government would do an even worse job? Why? Why do you trust big business to look after you?
I dont know any Republicans that dont want healthcare reform! Why do you trust big government to look after you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies