Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your view of unions?
I approve of all of them, public and private. 106 43.80%
I approve of public sector unions only. 4 1.65%
I approve of private sector unions only. 49 20.25%
I do not approve of any unions. 71 29.34%
Other, please explain. 12 4.96%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 12:41 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
30k a year is laughable at any level unless you're living in Bumf#*k, Mississippi or something. Most college grads have loans to repay. It aint gonna be easy on 30k even as a starting salary. Even with good bennies, it's still a joke.
I'm sorry, who's fault is it that they couldn't pay their way through college? Don't fault the employer for someone not being able to afford college and having to take out loans. Maybe if they were a better student they could have gotten a scholarship or grant. Ever think of that? NO, b/c it's easier to have a pity party than to admit fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 12:43 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I'm not going to go over this again. It is unconstitutional to force someone to buy something they don't want, nor is it ethical to make a conservative like myself pay into something that goes directly to support liberal ideals.
So DO SOMETHING ELSE.
There ARE options. The fact that YOU don't like them is besides the point. The world doesn't revolve around YOU (despite what you may think).

Ken

Old 02-27-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Oh give me a break.
We get our rights from MORE than just the Consititution. Nothing in the Constitution about the right to drive - and you CAN. The big picture is covered by the Consitution, the details are covered by the mulitide of OTHER laws in place.

You may have gone to college but you sure didn't seem to learn much since you didn't even KNOW about the RIGHT to collective bargaining.

Ken

Yes, b/c everyone learns about collective bargaining in college. My fault.

Again, there is no right to collective bargaining. It was a privilege given to us and it can be taken right back since it's being so horribly abused.

I have nothing else to say to you since all you want to do is be insulting.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:49 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,372 times
Quote:
Blah, we do not need to go over pay YET AGAIN, nor do I need to explain how those sites are simply aggregators that may or may not be based on actual statistics.

After I got my bachelor's, the STATE job I applied for (Child Protective Investigator) started at $27k plus bennies. That is pretty average pay for someone without a degree in something like engineering or biology.
Child Protective Investigator! THAT explains so much! In Florida.

Btw, is $27,000 supposed to be "lavish" income that so many people have referred to when talking about public sector union jobs?

Old 02-27-2011, 12:51 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
My husband was UAW and I can remember at least three times in 30 years when he would have been jobless had it not been for the union standing up for him.
Quote:
Maybe he should have been jobless then. I don't know the circumstances but if an employer needs to fire someone who is not performing their job properly, or if they don't have the funds to keep someone on the payroll, the person needs to go. Unions prevent the normal business cycle from occurring.
Well, see, each of those three times were over things he was accused of, but didn't do; or things that were completely beyond his control. For example, the last four months he was employed, but not actually working was because he was on sick leave. The company rule was that he was supposed to call in once a week and explain why he wasn't coming to work. That's kind of hard to do when you're laid up in the hospital, medicated to the point you can't even think. So the union sent someone to visit him and bring the necessary forms to put in for his retirement. His retirement was approved 10 days before he died, because the union knew it would be much easier for me to get that pension check if he was already approved when he died.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Blah, we do not need to go over pay YET AGAIN, nor do I need to explain how those sites are simply aggregators that may or may not be based on actual statistics.

After I got my bachelor's, the STATE job I applied for (Child Protective Investigator) started at $27k plus bennies. That is pretty average pay for someone without a degree in something like engineering or biology.
More bullsh*t.
You don't like the statistics so you just make up some facts of your own.
The numbers are what the numbers are. They are consistant over time and from many many sources. Beginning teachers face LOW pay for someone with a 4 year degree. Do CPS new workers with a 4 year degree face low pay too? Yes they do. How does that in ANY WAY show that teachers DON'T face low pay too? There are many professions - even with a 4 year degree - that have low salaries. So what? THEY HAVE LOW SALARIES TOO. Social Sciences in general pay low. The difference is teachers have degrees in fields BESIDES the social sciences - some have math degrees or science degrees and yet despite that, if those folks go into teaching they STILL face the same low salaries other social workers do. Not a very good way to attract bright people to teaching.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 02-27-2011 at 01:13 PM..

Old 02-27-2011, 12:54 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Maybe people here don't know you personally, however, your attitudes and opinions as expressed in your posts certainly gives everyone at least a view of how you think.

Now where do we "get our rights from"?
I'm thinking maybe Andrea doesn't fully understand this portion of the Constitution:
Quote:
Amendment IX The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
Bill of Rights Transcript

Old 02-27-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, b/c everyone learns about collective bargaining in college. My fault.
And yet your IGNORANCE about collective bargaining didn't stop you from proclaiming that "no one has a right to collective bargain" - as you you somehow magically knew what you were talking about. If you don't know about something maybe you shouldn't be spouting off about it.

Folks have a right to collective bargaining. It's the LAW.

Ken

Old 02-27-2011, 12:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, who's fault is it that they couldn't pay their way through college? Don't fault the employer for someone not being able to afford college and having to take out loans. Maybe if they were a better student they could have gotten a scholarship or grant. Ever think of that? NO, b/c it's easier to have a pity party than to admit fault.
"Maybe if they were a better student they could have gotten a scholarship or grant."

LOL...wow! If colleges gave scholarships to everyone who is a good or even a great student, they'd never collect any tuition. You truly don't live in the real world. There is a reason why most kids, regardless of smarts, have to take out loans to finish school. My son Deans Listed every semester at NAU, and he was never able to get more than 5k in total scholarships over his 3 1/2 years. Luckily, i was able to foot the bill for the rest. Most of his friends aren't so lucky. And not all kids can work their way through college. At NAU alone (in Flagstaff) there are 17,000 kids. If even half of them need to work their way through, you think there are 8000 available jobs during the schoolyear for students in a town of 60,000 people?

You're being silly....and as typical of most of your posts, you lack any empathy for people. You don't have to hate Unions because Rush tells you to.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
More bullsh*t.
You don't like the statistics so you just make up some facts of your own.
The numbers are what the numbers are. They are consistant over time and from many many source. Beginning teachers face LOW pay for someone with a 4 year degree. Do CPS new workers with a 4 year degree face low pay too? Yes they do. How does that in ANY WAY show that don't face low pay too? There are many professions - even with a 4 year degree - that have low salaries. So what? THEY HAVE LOW SALARIES TOO. Social Sciences in general pay low. The difference is teachers have degrees in fields BESIDES the social sciences - they have math degrees or science degrees and yet despite that, if so folks go into teaching they STILL face the same low salaries other social workers do. Not a very good way to attract bright people to teaching.

Ken
I have nothing else to say to you, aside from to tell you that you are a rude human being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies