Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your view of unions?
I approve of all of them, public and private. 106 43.80%
I approve of public sector unions only. 4 1.65%
I approve of private sector unions only. 49 20.25%
I do not approve of any unions. 71 29.34%
Other, please explain. 12 4.96%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:13 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Just pointing out the obvious fallacy to your post.

And you just had to exhibit it once again? Brilliant!
Again, what is your problem?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 07:15 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Just pointing out the obvious fallacy to your post.

And you just had to exhibit it once again? Brilliant!
Hate to break it to you, but your last 2 posts really say nothing.

Why did you bother to make them?
Are you just bored or something?
State your case & make your point.

Ken

Old 02-27-2011, 07:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I work for a large multi-national. I have negoitiated pay and benefits. And I'm pretty low on the food chain.

I negoitiated pay and health insurance at a smaller company also. Known people that have done the same.

Both factories. Both non-union.

It's really quite simple. You have to show the employer how you have increased profits. Or made the company more responsive and flexible.

People that just do their job just get their paycheck. Nothing wrong with that, but it is insane to say negoitiation can't be done. "Rules in place" are nothing more than guidleines.
Do you guys really expect anyone to believe this stuff? Really?

That's it...i'm done. When folks are saying stuff like what's in this post, then you know there is a serious divorce from reality by some people. Negotiate pay and bennies and you're admittedly low on the food chain? SMH....whatever.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
We are not living an an Ayn Rand novel, guys.
SMH...i'm just as astonished by some of these posts as you are...trust me.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Do you guys really expect anyone to believe this stuff? Really?

That's it...i'm done. When folks are saying stuff like what's in this post, then you know there is a serious divorce from reality by some people. Negotiate pay and bennies and you're admittedly low on the food chain? SMH....whatever.
Agreed. "You have to show the employer you've increased profits?" Um... when I do a good job at work, I don't get a pat on the back. I get, "you could have done this, this, and this better." If you show you are a good worker, you're expected to work even harder.

There is no quid pro quo in the non-union workplace. Also I don't really get why someone is content that their employer may deign on them that they deserve a raise, instead of wanting to put together a union and FORCE the employer to act.

I don't like being like Oliver Twist asking for more. In a non-union workplace, that is exactly what you are.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Well then, that wasn't hard to figure out, now did it? But it would seem like that burnt you out at the momemt. My refute, Watson, was your age! That implied you have NO experience or knowledge about anything union or non-union. Lemonade stands don't count, kid.

LOL, join-date argument. And a vulgar word to boot. God, you are so awesome.
I've been working since I was 16, and not just summer jobs either, and I have worked both union and non-union. Maybe not as long as others, but I do have experience doing both. wtf, back up off me.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
That sounds like your fault, everyone I know negotiates with their employer on things like pay and benefits at the time of hiring and then at regular intervals during the year.
Everyone you know? Where do you live cuz i need to move there fast. Of all the people i know, maybe 2 or 3 people were able to do that. Since this recession started, i haven't met ANYONE who has done it.

When i started at my present job, i was given a salary range, and depending on my qualifications, i could start at the top, middle or bottom of that range. No way in hell could i ask for more than the top of the range and expect to get it. Furthermore, the benefits were set in stone and are the same for all. I asked if i could forego what i thought was a generous amount of my yearly salary in exchange for an extra weeks vacation and was flatly rejected.

THAT's how it is in the real world....and not the way you claim it is. And the little bit of negotiating i was able to do is FAR and away more than what most Americans can do.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
you're just plain not worth paying that much. I don't mean that to be rude, either.
I'm sure.

You know, I've had a lot of people tell me that on CD, yet IRL, I"ve gotten good evaluations, been promoted, and even done some hiring myself. So I"d say you guys don't know what you're talking about. I don't mean that to be rude, either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Give me a break. I don't know where you live, but there are literally over 100 PAGES of job postings for RN's in the Chicagoland area alone. Registered Nurse Jobs - Chicago, IL | Simply Hired

You cannot tell me that RN's aren't in demand. I'm not that gullible. Not only that, but having your RN puts you in a better position to negotiate. Lots of RN are Nurse Managers and don't even engage in much direct patient care. Your options are limitless. Either use it to your advantage or don't complain about crappy work environment.
You know, I don't really think you know much about nursing.

1. I know nurses in Chicago who are having a hard time finding jobs.

2. Even during times of extreme national nursing shortages, there are not similar shortages in metro Denver. I'm not at a computer right now where I can cut and paste, but if you'll take my word for it, I've seen nurse recruiters say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Thanks for the unsolicited advice, but I did my duty by informing my employer of my notice to appear for jury duty. If they wanted me to submit a hardship excuse, they certainly could have requested that I do so. Hindsight is 20/20.
Calling out someone for unsolicited advice? I don't recall asking you for any career counseling.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
You know, I looked at a few of the jobs in your link, whatyousay. On call, night postitions, travel nursing, blah, blah. Not too many "real" jobs there. None of them said salary "negotiable", either.

In addition, I never complained about my present job, just said it is not usual to negotiate salary, bennies, working hours, etc. In addition, I have been on some hiring committees, and no one we interviewed for an RN job ever tried to negotiate.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
More silly anarchist garbage.
Tell it to someone who cares.

Ken
You'll care when any of those are taken from you.

Okay, maybe not your life, since you won't be around TO care after it's taken from you. You claim to have rights, but they can easily be trampled by the very government you expect to protect them somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies