Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your view of unions?
I approve of all of them, public and private. 106 43.80%
I approve of public sector unions only. 4 1.65%
I approve of private sector unions only. 49 20.25%
I do not approve of any unions. 71 29.34%
Other, please explain. 12 4.96%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:51 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,108,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sorry, you're wrong, and I don't think I'm the one you've "counseled".

New RNs find job market tight - USATODAY.com

'Don't Call Us, We'll Call You' : AJN The American Journal of Nursing

Now let's take each of your "helpful" suggestions:

Traveling nurse? No thank you. I"ll stay here with my family.
Home Health? Been there, done that. More like "Home Hell".
Schools? Nearly impossible to get a job; little patient contact, etc. You do know that most "school nurses" are not RNs or even LPNs? Most are parapros with only OJT. The RNs in school nursing are assigned to numerous schools and they travel around making sure the care plans are all signed, stuff like that. I'm shocked you would suggest schools, working for the government and all.
Which brings up to: government! How could an anti-government person like you suggest working for the government: What kind of government nursing jobs do you think there are, anyway? I've been a public health nurse for several different agencies. The county HD in my county has gotten out of direct care nursing, in fact, has very few nurses at all working for them. And that is where some of my experiences come from. Negotiate with the county? LOLOLOLOLOLOL!
VA? The VA hospital in my area is 30 miles from my home, and I haven't worked in a hospital in over 30 years. Again, government? Think you're going to negotiate with the VA?
Insurance? Looked into it once, doesn't pay squat, and I don't really want to prostitute myself like that.
Call centers? Have thought of that for a retirement job. Mostly evening/weekend work, but you can work at home.
Hospitals? Again, haven't worked in one in 30+ years, have no interest in doing so. It's hell. Have to work weekends, holidays, evenings, nights; now they mostly work 12 hour days and I don't think I could handle that any more, especially 12 hr. nights.
Pays well, though, but that's where I"ve had some of my other experiences in the inablilty to negotiate.
Clinics? Where do you think I'm working now?
Weekender positions? In a hospital? No thank you.
Nursing homes? Very few RN positions, mostly LPNs. All the negatives of working in a hospital, plus some of its own. Lower pay.
Pharmaceutical sales? LOL! My brother the HR guy, used to hire salespeople for a couple of pharmaceutical companies. I asked him once about the requirements. To wit: Bachelor's degree, not necessarily in science. Willingness to work 12 hr. days. (Most of us think the drug reps are a PIA.)
etc, etc, etc? You tell me what these etcs are.
I'm not sure he meant that you should work in a different environment, just in a different office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 05:54 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,324,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
1. Less than 7% of workers in the United States are part of a union. It used to be considerably higher. How do explain that?

A big part of it is the fact that US has changed from a largely manufacturing economy - which tends to have a lot of union jobs - to a service-based economy - which has LESS union jobs.

2. How do you explain manufacturing wages in the United States rose by 57% (adjusted for inflation) between 1860-1890. Less than 3% of workers were unionized. We had no laws favoring unions and no min wage laws. Explain please? Wages rose another 34% from 1890-1914.

Virtually ALL of that increase in money wages took place during the period of 1860-1870 - a period of very high inflation which resulted in virtually NO growth of REAL wages for that decade. After that money wages were essentially flat for the next 30 years. Fortunately for workers, industrialization resulted in falling prices during that whole time. The DEFLATION saved workers butts because even though their wages didn't increase, prices decreased. So yeah workers had more for their money - but it wasn't due to any real increase in their wages. http://www.nber.org/chapters/c2498.pdf

3. How do explain millions of unionized workers leaving Western Europe to work in non-union shaops in the U.S.?

You need to provide some proof of that.

4. How do explain that child labor was non-existent by the time the Feds outlawed it? And it was non-union shops that ended the practice first, starting in the 1880s.

It's pretty simple, It took a LONG TIME to get child labor outlawed. The 1st child labor laws went into effect in 1837. From that time forward there was increasing pressure from the various state governments and the federal government. By 1900 most states had child labor laws of some type. In 1916 the US put severe limits on child labor but the law was eventually struck down and it wasn't until 1938 that a law was put in place that stuck. As I said, all of this took a LOT of time - giving business plenty of time to ween themselves of child labor. They didn't want to and they fought it all the way, but it eventually became clear to them that child labor restrictions WERE coming - and so they rid themselves of it. But don't kid yourself, it wasn't because they WANTED TO.

Child Labor in the United States | Economic History Services

5. How do you explain it was non-union shops that first offered emplyee paid health insurance?

There WERE a few progressive companies that realized the value of their employees. They were not the norm.

6. How do you explain it was non-union shops that were the first to publicly state they were only going to work 40 hours a week and take weekends off? (unions were still working more than 40 for no extra pay)

There WERE a few progressive companies that realized the value of their employees. They were not the norm.

7. How do you explain advances in technology that have improved factory safety. And who advances the technology and designs the machines? Non-union engineers.

A BS claim - for MANY reasons, not least of which is the fact that many engineers ARE union.

8. How do you explain a 2002 Ohio University study that concluded union cost the U.S. One Trillion dollars a year in positive economic growth. Nobody has been able to discredit the study.

Never heard of it. How about a link or links to back up your claim?
Ken

Old 02-27-2011, 05:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I'm not sure he meant that you should work in a different environment, just in a different office.
Then why all these "helpful" suggestions of other places to work?

Old 02-27-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Then why all these "helpful" suggestions of other places to work?
Well, the first line of that post did say maybe not to work for that specific doctor's office. I didn't read much past that, apparently, since it has no bearing on the topic at hand.

ETA: My mom works for an insurance company now, and to say they don't pay squat means either you aren't looking in the right place, you're not trying to negotiate your salary or you're just plain not worth paying that much. I don't mean that to be rude, either.

Last edited by andrea3821; 02-27-2011 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: found the post

Old 02-27-2011, 06:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Well, the first line of that post did say maybe not to work for that specific doctor's office. I didn't read much past that, apparently, since it has no bearing on the topic at hand.
See post 181.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
See post 181.
Read my edited post above.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:16 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I didn't get a chance to discuss any hardships with the attorneys or the judge in the courtroom prior to being selected. I was asked specific questions and told to answer them honestly. Period. In retrospect, I could/should have requested a hardship excuse before even arriving for jury duty, but I never thought I would be selected, let alone be selected for a trial that would last a week and a half. I was wrong. It's not a guarantee that I would have even been granted a hardship excuse on behalf of my employer anyways. I don't think it would necessarily qualify. It isn't the court system's responsibility to ensure that each juror has adequate coverage at work.

This is the exact wording on my jury duty letter regarding hardship excuses:
No, it's not a guarantee. However, if your work is so critical to your boss's business that it would create an enormous hardship for your employer for you to be away, PLUS if you have patients that need to be seen, you certainly would have been in a good position to get excused.

Just wondering why you neglected to fill out the paperwork from your jury duty notification and send it it. You said earlier that if you left your employer's business that it woud basically take them under, so certainly you knew that being out for a week or so would be a big strain on them.....you know, you SHOULD always think about your employer first and do everything to benefit them that you possibly can do.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:16 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,030 times
Quote:
Sorry, you're wrong, and I don't think I'm the one you've "counseled".

New RNs find job market tight - USATODAY.com

'Don't Call Us, We'll Call You' : AJN The American Journal of Nursing

Now let's take each of your "helpful" suggestions:

Traveling nurse? No thank you. I"ll stay here with my family.
Home Health? Been there, done that. More like "Home Hell".
Schools? Nearly impossible to get a job; little patient contact, etc. You do know that most "school nurses" are not RNs or even LPNs? Most are parapros with only OJT. The RNs in school nursing are assigned to numerous schools and they travel around making sure the care plans are all signed, stuff like that. I'm shocked you would suggest schools, working for the government and all.
Which brings up to: government! How could an anti-government person like you suggest working for the government: What kind of government nursing jobs do you think there are, anyway? I've been a public health nurse for several different agencies. The county HD in my county has gotten out of direct care nursing, in fact, has very few nurses at all working for them. And that is where some of my experiences come from. Negotiate with the county? LOLOLOLOLOLOL!
VA? The VA hospital in my area is 30 miles from my home, and I haven't worked in a hospital in over 30 years. Again, government? Think you're going to negotiate with the VA?
Insurance? Looked into it once, doesn't pay squat, and I don't really want to prostitute myself like that.
Call centers? Have thought of that for a retirement job. Mostly evening/weekend work, but you can work at home.
Hospitals? Again, haven't worked in one in 30+ years, have no interest in doing so. It's hell. Have to work weekends, holidays, evenings, nights; now they mostly work 12 hour days and I don't think I could handle that any more, especially 12 hr. nights.
Pays well, though, but that's where I"ve had some of my other experiences in the inablilty to negotiate.
Clinics? Where do you think I'm working now?
Weekender positions? In a hospital? No thank you.
Nursing homes? Very few RN positions, mostly LPNs. All the negatives of working in a hospital, plus some of its own. Lower pay.
Pharmaceutical sales? LOL! My brother the HR guy, used to hire salespeople for a couple of pharmaceutical companies. I asked him once about the requirements. To wit: Bachelor's degree, not necessarily in science. Willingness to work 12 hr. days. (Most of us think the drug reps are a PIA.)
etc, etc, etc? You tell me what these etcs are.
Give me a break. I don't know where you live, but there are literally over 100 PAGES of job postings for RN's in the Chicagoland area alone. Registered Nurse Jobs - Chicago, IL | Simply Hired

You cannot tell me that RN's aren't in demand. I'm not that gullible. Not only that, but having your RN puts you in a better position to negotiate. Lots of RN are Nurse Managers and don't even engage in much direct patient care. Your options are limitless. Either use it to your advantage or don't complain about crappy work environment.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:19 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
No, it's not a guarantee. However, if your work is so critical to your boss's business that it would create an enormous hardship for your employer for you to be away, PLUS if you have patients that need to be seen, you certainly would have been in a good position to get excused.

Just wondering why you neglected to fill out the paperwork from your jury duty notification and send it it. You said earlier that if you left your employer's business that it woud basically take them under, so certainly you knew that being out for a week or so would be a big strain on them.....you know, you SHOULD always think about your employer first and do everything to benefit them that you possibly can do.
Thanks for the unsolicited advice, but I did my duty by informing my employer of my notice to appear for jury duty. If they wanted me to submit a hardship excuse, they certainly could have requested that I do so. Hindsight is 20/20.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:23 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
That's because you can't respond with any facts. You JUST have your OPINION that you don't like unions. You try to take away someone else's RIGHTS and you are surprized that they act "rude". It's their RIGHT and your want to take it away from them.

If you don't like unions, don't join one. Instead you want to take away OTHER PEOPLES rights to do so?

Ken
there are no rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies