Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that the middle class doesn't pay enough in taxes
Yes, only the rich pay taxes 16 15.38%
No, the middle class kicks in their fare share 88 84.62%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh so when we are going to say what we pay, we are now going to include what the employeer pays???

nice moving the goalposts

how

simple those numbers were for a single zero dependant

she is married has 1 child and is a home owner...she pays nearly zero in taxes...same as me I make 60k and pay zero in federal taxes
I will make an attempt to cut the chase short. Please provide proof that Buffett lied and that his secretary does not pay the claimed 30% or so in taxes. And no "assumptions".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 10:07 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You should know, I get a chuckle every time you cry about "name-calling". ?
Why? I didnt call you a name.. I called you Einstein.. Isnt that your name? . you cant remember what your name is?
Quote:
And a laugh every time you extend an invitation to join your ways. Lately, that would be pretty much every post of yours.
No such invitation was extended.. Now you have to resort to pretending things are there that arent..
Quote:
Anyway, didn't I say "is taxed at a special rate"?
Being taxed at a "special rate" doesnt mean they arent taxed. Either it is, ir it isnt taxed. If you ask me, the special rate should be the normal rate.. Theres no reason for many americans to pay half their income for taxes... its beyond ridiculous.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:09 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,218,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Who said fake??

Maybe you have a link from the IRS?

The question you have to answer on your schedule is, "Was all of the investment at risk"

If yes, there is no problem.
This is all about the buffet and his secretary. You make it sound like a after work business could be started by a secretary and generate large enough losses every year in order to keep her taxes down very low.

My point is one, unless she has enough money to buy a legitimate business that losses money, she will be doing Amway or something like that. If that is the case you can't take large losses for ever.

Is multi-level direct selling a hobby or a business? | Business Tax Advisor

Old 03-03-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Being taxed at a "special rate" doesnt mean they arent taxed.
Brilliant!

Old 03-03-2011, 10:32 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Brilliant!
lets go back to your original statement, shall we?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Remember, income is taxed on what we keep, not what we make.
Quote:
Not necessarily. People keep the income from capital gains but they are taxed at a special rate. No?
WRONG.. you were wrong.. playing childish games isnt going to change the fact that you were wrong and trying to distract from it..

You are taxed on what you KEEP.. Driller was correct, you said they werent.. It might be at a special rate, but that doesnt mean its not taxed..

Old 03-03-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You are taxed on what you KEEP.. Driller was correct, you said they werent.. It might be at a special rate, but that doesnt mean its not taxed..
Brilliant!

Old 03-03-2011, 11:11 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
I will make an attempt to cut the chase short. Please provide proof that Buffett lied and that his secretary does not pay the claimed 30% or so in taxes. And no "assumptions".
no assupmtions

buffett lied

he said his secretary pays 30% in federal taxes

if she is single/renter
this would be the number

That would give her taxable income of $50,250 ($60,000 less 1 exemption @ $3,400 and a standard deduction of $5,360) and a federal income tax liability of $8,986.25 – $4,386.25 + 25% of the excess over $31,850. So, the secretary’s effective Federal income tax rate is only 15% ($8,986.25 / $60,000). Hmmmm.

Well, maybe Buffet is throwing in payroll taxes for Social Security and Medicare. OK, add on 7.65% — 6.2% for Social Security and .1.45% for Medicare. That gets the secretary up to 22.65%.

so FACT is that she would only be rated at 15% for INCOME...if you want to throw in payroll, (which is not income tax) it still only brings her up to 22%...certainly not the 30% that buffett lied about

other FACTS:we're talking about a married secretary, with a stay-at-home spouse. They file jointly, pay a home mortgage and have two kids under the age of 17. They place $4,000 in an IRA and itemize $15,000 in deductions. Here the tax picture changes dramatically. Taxable income drops to $27,800 -- the 15 percent tax bracket. With child tax credits, secretary now pays $1,419 in federal taxes, or 2.4 percent of $60,000. Add in another 2 percent for $1,218 in state taxes, and secretary pays a grand total, state and federal, of 4.4 percent on the $60,000-a-year salary.

meanwhile buffett paid over 8 million in taxes

buffett want the rates (for ALL) to be higher,, because it wont effect him, but it will hurt his competition....those are facts

Old 03-03-2011, 11:15 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
This is all about the buffet and his secretary. You make it sound like a after work business could be started by a secretary and generate large enough losses every year in order to keep her taxes down very low.

My point is one, unless she has enough money to buy a legitimate business that losses money, she will be doing Amway or something like that. If that is the case you can't take large losses for ever.

Is multi-level direct selling a hobby or a business? | Business Tax Advisor
Good link..and at the end of it it makes my point.

Be sure you run it as a business.

I just set up a dog breeding business for a friend.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
no assupmtions

buffett lied

he said his secretary pays 30% in federal taxes

if she is single/renter
this would be the number

That would give her taxable income of $50,250 ($60,000 less 1 exemption @ $3,400 and a standard deduction of $5,360) and a federal income tax liability of $8,986.25 – $4,386.25 + 25% of the excess over $31,850. So, the secretary’s effective Federal income tax rate is only 15% ($8,986.25 / $60,000). Hmmmm.

Well, maybe Buffet is throwing in payroll taxes for Social Security and Medicare. OK, add on 7.65% — 6.2% for Social Security and .1.45% for Medicare. That gets the secretary up to 22.65%.

so FACT is that she would only be rated at 15% for INCOME...if you want to throw in payroll, (which is not income tax) it still only brings her up to 22%...certainly not the 30% that buffett lied about

other FACTS:we're talking about a married secretary, with a stay-at-home spouse. They file jointly, pay a home mortgage and have two kids under the age of 17. They place $4,000 in an IRA and itemize $15,000 in deductions. Here the tax picture changes dramatically. Taxable income drops to $27,800 -- the 15 percent tax bracket. With child tax credits, secretary now pays $1,419 in federal taxes, or 2.4 percent of $60,000. Add in another 2 percent for $1,218 in state taxes, and secretary pays a grand total, state and federal, of 4.4 percent on the $60,000-a-year salary.

meanwhile buffett paid over 8 million in taxes

buffett want the rates (for ALL) to be higher,, because it wont effect him, but it will hurt his competition....those are facts
You're working on assumptions. Could you calculate my taxes too, if I just told you my income, and getting it down to a minimum?

Old 03-03-2011, 11:18 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
You're working on assumptions. Could you calculate my taxes too, if I just told you my income, and getting it down to a minimum?
I could but, would have to ask a million questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies