Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that the middle class doesn't pay enough in taxes
Yes, only the rich pay taxes 16 15.38%
No, the middle class kicks in their fare share 88 84.62%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:23 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You're working on assumptions. Could you calculate my taxes too, if I just told you my income, and getting it down to a minimum?
would you rather me give the MINIMUMS that she would pay or substitute mine

fact : buffett says she earned 60k

fact I earn 60k and pay ZERO in federal income AND payroll taxes

fact: buffet says SHE (not her employeer) pays 30% federally...which is IMPOSSIBLE

fact : I showed that even on a single/renter (the least amount of deductions ) the MOST she would pay for federal income AND payroll would be 22%..meanwhile she is married has children and owns (or the bank owns) a house

yes if you gave me your income and status, I certainly could come within a ballpark for a minimum amount

I posted the link to mine on post #45...go look
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 11:27 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
would you rather me give the MINIMUMS that she would pay or substitute mine

fact : buffett says she earned 60k

fact I earn 60k and pay ZERO in federal income AND payroll taxes

fact: buffet says SHE (not her employeer) pays 30% federally...which is IMPOSSIBLE

fact : I showed that even on a single/renter (the least amount of deductions ) the MOST she would pay for federal income AND payroll would be 22%..meanwhile she is married has children and owns (or the bank owns) a house

yes if you gave me your income and status, I certainly could come within a ballpark for a minimum amount

I posted the link to mine on post #45...go look
I can agree with YOUR facts, not that of others you assumed. But, why would Buffett lie?

Old 03-03-2011, 11:38 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I can agree with YOUR facts, not that of others you assumed. But, why would Buffett lie?
I can not get into his mind..........but a guess would be......... because he understands that you could raise the tax rate on income to 90% and it would not effect him.....but.... .it certainly would effect his competatiors, especially small businesses, especially in the pre-manufactured homes(factory made as oppsed to stick built) area (berkshire is big in that industry)

easiest way to win the game..have the government take the compitition away

but that is a guess..I only know that the FACTS are he said 30% and there is NO WAY for that to be.....he lied/fibbed/spinned

Old 03-03-2011, 11:43 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Quote:
oh so when we are going to say what we pay, we are now going to include what the employeer pays???

nice moving the goalposts
Funny, that's how conservatives came up with the "auto workers earn $75 per hour" figure.

They added in EVERY expense that could be tacked on to hiring an employee and claimed that for the employee's total compensation.

I didn't move the goal post, I just used the ones that the conservatives put up.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:44 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Funny, that's how conservatives came up with the "auto workers earn $75 per hour" figure.

They added in EVERY expense that could be tacked on to hiring an employee and claimed that for the employee's total compensation.

I didn't move the goal post, I just used the ones that the conservatives put up.
Link?

Old 03-03-2011, 11:48 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

Actually that was the auto makers that came up with $70 per hour, and that was the accurate labor costs, not earnings.. Please attempt to be accurate.. I know its difficult at times..
FactCheck.org: Do auto workers really make more than $70 per hour? (http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/do_auto_workers_really_make_more_than.html - broken link)
[SIZE=3]As [/SIZE][SIZE=3]David Leonhardt pointed out[/SIZE][SIZE=3] in the New York Times (countering, in a sense, the earlier piece by Sorkin), the average GM, Ford and Chrysler worker receives compensation – wages, bonuses, overtime and paid time off – of about $40 an hour. Add in benefits such as health insurance and pensions and you get to about $55. Another $15 or so in benefits to retirees (known as "legacy costs") brings the number to roughly $70. [/SIZE]

Old 03-03-2011, 11:52 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Good link..and at the end of it it makes my point.

Be sure you run it as a business.

I just set up a dog breeding business for a friend.
Will the annual (legitimate ) losses drop the tax rates dramatically? This is the debate, a $1-3k a year loss won't save a ton, a $10-20k a year will but you will be defending these losses after a few years.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually that was the auto makers that came up with $70 per hour, and that was the accurate labor costs, not earnings.. Please attempt to be accurate.. I know its difficult at times..
FactCheck.org: Do auto workers really make more than $70 per hour? (http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/do_auto_workers_really_make_more_than.html - broken link)
[SIZE=3]As [/SIZE][SIZE=3]David Leonhardt pointed out[/SIZE][SIZE=3] in the New York Times (countering, in a sense, the earlier piece by Sorkin), the average GM, Ford and Chrysler worker receives compensation – wages, bonuses, overtime and paid time off – of about $40 an hour. Add in benefits such as health insurance and pensions and you get to about $55. Another $15 or so in benefits to retirees (known as "legacy costs") brings the number to roughly $70. [/SIZE]
I appologise for not being entirely accurate about auto worker compensation, but in my defense, I've heard plenty of conservative posters argue the $70 per hour point.

But seriously, if the secretary in question was instead self-employed, she'd have to cover both sides of the payroll tax equation - that's why I include it as part of the taxes paid. It's semantics to claim otherwise.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:02 PM

573 posts, read 971,133 times
No, I don't agree at all.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
run down in link
//www.city-data.com/forum/17932243-post181.html
as I said

ZERO in federal income tax..and many get back more than they paid..and for many that includes ss/medi payroll tax too

just like warren buffets secretary..who earns 60k and pays zero in federal income tax..warren buffett is spinning political bs around
I chased down the link. For (I assume) tax year 2009, WCH has $13.K in business deductions (certain business expenses of reservists, performing artists, and fee-basis government officials), $21K in itemized deductions (but no Schedule A attached), $21.9K in personal deductions (which would seem to be 6 people in the house-hold), a $200 deductions for a contribution to a 401K, a $201 deduction for a residential energy credit.

Somehow I don't think that is comparable to Warren Buffet's secretary - I don't think that she has nearly $56K in deductions.

I do wonder if WCH is a performing artist or a government worker...

I also think that WCH needs to start contributing more than $200 a year to a 401K.

And $21K in itemized deductions? Mines only around $10K...I hope it's just a high mortgage interest rate and not medical bills that pumped up that figure.

It also occurs to me...when conservatives complain that the middle class doesn't pay it's fair share of taxes, they're talking specifically about WorkingClassHero!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies