Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ????????
Obama 41 73.21%
Carter 15 26.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 01:28 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
Carter was a good president. Very popular over here in Europe. Obama has the ungrateful job of cleaning up after Bush. It's still too early to judge his administration in my opinion.
I think we should start another poll:

Do you GAF what people from insignificant countries in Europe think?

Yes

No
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 02:27 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
You know, I liked Jimmy Carter too but voted for Reagan who I didn't particularly like. I don't vote for officials or hire employees based on how much I like them. I base it on qualifications and track record.

No, Carter was not nor is he now a particularly good diplomat.

Reality slapped me around enough to make me realize there are no gods, unicorns, or magic dragons; The coke we should be happily sipping while enjoying a singalong in the Elysian Fields is loaded with sweet tasting poisons. Since I live in the real world, I must conclude that the wonderful world of Liberalia is a fiction so while I don't consider conservatism ideal, it is at least workable.

This thread isn't about who we voted for, but here goes: I wasn't old enough to vote for Jimmy. I voted for Paul in '88. I didn't vote for Obama or McCain in '08. But, would have voted Paul again if he got the nod.

Reagan era does not conjure up visions of happily sipping and enjoying a singalong for me The track record he left CA was dismal so I don't know what track record you based voting for him on, at least the first time. A second time -

I disagree that Carter did not do well as a diplomat.

President Jimmy Carter, Egyptian President Anwar el-Sadat and Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin signed the peace treaty between the two nations in 1978.

Sadat called Carter “the man who performed miracles.”

“Without exaggeration, what he did constitutes one of the greatest achievements of our time,” said the Egyptian president.

But Carter was cautious, calling the treaty between Egypt and Israel “a first step on a long and difficult road.”

If I had to compare Obama to Carter - as of now,
Obama has not done anything "great", where as
- the "peace talks" a big plus for Jimmy.

Remember when Jimmy did those fireside chats wearing a sweater and talked about turning down the thermostats
to 67 We did it and you know what - it was cold

With Obama, you can't get the guy off TV, and when
he's on, he just goes on and on and on. Sometimes,
I wish he would just sit by a fire, and stop talking.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:32 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
Carter was a good president. Very popular over here in Europe. Obama has the ungrateful job of cleaning up after Bush. It's still too early to judge his administration in my opinion.

Thus the validity of the europeans determining who is a good US president.

Carter had higher inflation and interest rates. Obama has essentially destroyed the future of the US through spending.

Obama has inflicted more severe and long lasting damage to the US than Carter.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Thus the validity of the europeans determining who is a good US president.

Carter had higher inflation and interest rates. Obama has essentially destroyed the future of the US through spending.

Obama has inflicted more severe and long lasting damage to the US than Carter.
I do think previous administrations have to take
responsibility for where we are today as well.

Carter ruined the economy; Reagan saved it

Fact: The Federal Reserve Board was responsible for the events of the late 70s and 80s.

"Carter cannot be blamed for the double-digit inflation that peaked on his watch, because inflation started growing in 1965 and snowballed for the next 15 years. To battle inflation, Carter appointed Paul Volcker as Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board, who defeated it by putting the nation through an intentional recession. Once the threat of inflation abated in late 1982, Volcker cut interest rates and flooded the economy with money, fueling an expansion that lasted seven years. Neither Carter nor Reagan had much to do with the economic events that occurred during their terms"

Old 03-09-2011, 03:43 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I do think previous administrations have to take
responsibility for where we are today as well.

Carter ruined the economy; Reagan saved it

Fact: The Federal Reserve Board was responsible for the events of the late 70s and 80s.

"Carter cannot be blamed for the double-digit inflation that peaked on his watch, because inflation started growing in 1965 and snowballed for the next 15 years. To battle inflation, Carter appointed Paul Volcker as Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board, who defeated it by putting the nation through an intentional recession. Once the threat of inflation abated in late 1982, Volcker cut interest rates and flooded the economy with money, fueling an expansion that lasted seven years. Neither Carter nor Reagan had much to do with the economic events that occurred during their terms"
A load of bunk, particularly this tidbit:

Quote:
Because the recession had been so deep, and the number of available workers so large the recovery was guaranteed to be long and healthy.
The current recession has proved this to be overwhelmingly false. If it were true, we should be in the middle of an economic boom, yet we have instead bounced along the bottom for the past 20 months..

And consider the source of your link, self proclaimed left wing revolutionaries. Not exactly objective by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
A load of bunk, particularly this tidbit:

The current recession has proved this to be overwhelmingly false. If it were true, we should be in the middle of an economic boom, yet we have instead bounced along the bottom for the past 20 months..

And consider the source of your link, self proclaimed left wing revolutionaries. Not exactly objective by any stretch of the imagination.
I don't know where you got that quote from the link, and
I'm not talking about the present day recession.
Self proclaimed left wing revolutionaries are anyone
that didn't think Reagan was a God

Old 03-10-2011, 08:04 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,607 times
LMAO !
Obama in Carters love child. Thats why no Bcertificate.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:18 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
That would have made a hilarious "Celebrity Death Match". (Claymation figures of Obama and Carter doing unspeakable animated things to each other).

Old 03-10-2011, 12:22 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
I went with Bammer because he is the idiot we deal with now.

the fact is, there doesnt seem to be a dimes worth of difference between the two...

Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,208,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOs View Post
Kudos. Your reply proves my point; you implied that the people vote out anything that requires sacrifice.

Just think back to the mid to late 1970s. We the People were realizing the true cost(s) of WAR(s) so we elected President Carter to focus more on domestic policy & less on foreign policy. In his sweater/fireplace speech he was trying to communicate, to the American people, how vulnerable we are because of our behavior--use/abuse/waste of Energy. He was trying to convey the message that keeping oil/energy artificially cheap requires Middle East collusion, chronic manipulation & CLASHES, which diverts money from domestic policy to foreign policy.

Most people realize NOW that we need to incrementally wean-off deceivingly cheap OIL. No President is perfect, but people need to start looking @ the root causes of why our Presidents make decisions, & more importantly, admit that WE have bad behaviors' & WE make bad decisions too.
i agree with carter i just don't think the govt ought to be part of the solution. my point is that govt will always invests in the wrong thing, their investment always distorts the market, crowds out other potential solutions and nothing the govt does is ever efficient. when i look at republican opposition to wind and solar i can see the seeds which carter sowed. nobody in their right mind would be against free energy generated by the wind or sun. when you however force people to pay for it through their taxes, you get their backs up! you not only get opposition to the taxpayer paying for it, you now get opposition to the technology too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies