Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will there be a government shutdown?
Yes 72 63.16%
No 24 21.05%
Not sure 18 15.79%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:12 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times

Advertisements

WaPo calls Pelosi on her ridiculous lies and senior scare mongering - have the dems/Left no shame?

Nancy Pelosi’s absurd math on senior citizens losing their meals - The Fact Checker - The Washington Post

Quote:
In a city with overheated rhetoric, Pelosi’s statement ranks high on this year’s list of bloviated bluster. It’s bad enough that she repeatedly mixed up 6 million meals and 6 million people — and made no effort to correct the record after her statement was reported in the media. But the figure she used appears to have been invented itself, with little basis in fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 02:19 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
He isn't far off from the truth
Are there employees who work for the federal gov't that are slags and should be fired, heck yeah, just like in any other job. The only difference is for some reason noone can be fired, but to paint the majority of the federal employees as lazy and ineffective is offensive to those who work very hard at their jobs. Should the procedures for terminating a federal employee be made easier, absolutely, if an employee is unproductive then they shouldn't have a job.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:23 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Rep Louis McFadden (D-PA):

“Mr. Chairman, we have in this country one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. I refer to the Federal Reserve Board and the Federal Reserve Banks. The Federal Reserve Board, a Government board, has cheated the Government of the United States and the people of the United States out of enough money to pay the national debt. The depredations and iniquities of the Federal Reserve Board has cost this country enough money to pay the national debt several times over.
This evil institution ]has impoverished and ruined the people of the United States, has bankrupted itself, and has practically bankrupted our Government. It has done this through the defects of the law under which it operates, through the maladministration of that law by the Federal Reserve Board, and through the corrupt practices of the moneyed vultures who control it.
Some people think the Federal Reserve banks are United States Government institutions. They are not Government institutions. They are private credit monopolies which prey upon the people of the United States for the benefit of themselves and their foreign customers; foreign and domestic speculators and swindlers; and rich and predatory money lenders.”.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:26 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Keep in mind that the government actually does shut down about ten times a year, anyway (mostly for holidays). The only thing with this situation here is that they've announced it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The Repubs seem to be intent on having a Shutdown. What will it entail?
Not really. Republicans are trying hard to avert this shutdown. The Democrats just don't want to pay our troops.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:50 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Default YUP! Who was it that shut down the Government??

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
That's funny. Compromise used to mean both sides move to an agreement. But this could turn out funny.

Facebook event: Let’s dump trash at Boehner’s pad – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Quote:
House passes stopgap bill to keep the government running for another week with mainly Republican support, but the measure will likely hit a roadblock in the Senate as Obama vows to veto it.
Darn those republicans for trying to keep things going while everyone so refusing to compromise, so what the the dumbocratic president do???

(Yes, I used that word, though I detest many republicans and democrats alike for failing to follow the constitution).

Old 04-07-2011, 03:10 PM

520 posts, read 1,006,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
The "Repubs" are not going to be the ones shutting the government down, it will be the Democrats by refusing to compromise.

Besides, I HOPE the government shuts down for some time. They don't work too much anyway, outside of the military.

We'd probably all be better off if the fed government took off a few days.
This is a very "uninformed" and "elementary" comment. I will respectfully say that you are off with your facts and/or missing some facts.

1) The Dems feel the Repubs proposal to be too far to compromise on. From what I have seen, it looks to be a poison pill. For example, I propose that, if you were happily married w/ children, that you leave your wife and kids in exchange for a brand new Honda Civic. So, if you vetoed that, I don't think anyone could rationally say that you are refusing to cooperate. There has to be some rationality on both parts; using a furlough to shut down healthcare after 1 year's effort of getting it passed and covering the less-fortunate is viewed as uncompromisable by the Dems.

2) I just love it how everyone rallies around the military and poo-poos on the civil servant. When we are not in a state of war, I guess the numerous military staff's training exercises in preparation of a "future" war is more productive than civil servant's who work to build better IT infastructures to streamline business processes and ensure services to public are more efficient. I guess you want the tax returns and social security processing to go back to checks that you receive in a 30-day cycle as opposed to a more efficient 7-day one. Last time I checked, there are more degreed individuals in the civil service than military; and civil servants have a lower civilian kill rate, too. Yeah, I took a shot at the military, so bring on your comments, folks. Last time I checked, all of the other government agencies combined, did not have a budget equivalent to the military's. $660 billion dollars per year, but no one dares even mention cuts to the military...but education's at $49 billion and steadily declining.

Again, you need to re-read my previous post [quote=ajsmith365;18608785]

p.s. your comments will sound real ignorant if congress, just like in 1996, provide the "shiftless, lazy and unproductive" government workers full pay for x days of leave - aka vacation. So, you just messed up your tax paid for government services to give government workers a FREE VACATION when they could have actually been productive. Go hide, you imp.

Last edited by ajsmith365; 04-07-2011 at 04:25 PM..

Old 04-07-2011, 03:12 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Default Its Confirmed! Government Shutdown Is April 22nd.

Yup, the federal government will shut down on April 22nd, Good Friday. I expect to see more doom and gloom predictions from the dems about shutting down all non-essential government functions on that day.

American Holidays: USA.gov

Old 04-07-2011, 03:35 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
You like gloating over people losing their jobs, and pay.
They have mortgages and pay bills just like you do.

Good to see where your heart is.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:44 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Yup, the federal government will shut down on April 22nd, Good Friday. I expect to see more doom and gloom predictions from the dems about shutting down all non-essential government functions on that day.

American Holidays: USA.gov
Why would the shutdown be on the 22nd, the C/Rruns out Friday. That means non essential personnel stop working Monday. Military pay will stop, the PXs and Commissaries will close, Food Stamps to the families of the troops will stop, Medicare Payments to hospitals will dry up, Contractors will not be paid so businesses dependent on the Government will not get paid.

The President has no place in these negotiations and Harry reid needs to stop offering anything. Let Mr Boehner and his Tea Party Allies do their job, I'll eat out of a dumpster watch the show

Old 04-07-2011, 03:50 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You like gloating over people losing their jobs, and pay.
They have mortgages and pay bills just like you do.

Good to see where your heart is.
Totally, absolutely, completely avoidable. You can blame the Dems, who didn't get around to passing a budget for 6 months, for this.

For the record, while I'm not gloating, I certainly don't care that they're losing jobs or pay. We all have bills. And I'm sure not one of them cared at all that I lost my job.

Let's ALL sacrifice during these tough times. About time the entitled class had a taste of that sacrifice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies