Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will there be a government shutdown?
Yes 72 63.16%
No 24 21.05%
Not sure 18 15.79%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 04:04 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,135,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
First of all, I would like to see proof that the SENATE offered a bill to keep the military paid on time and the President said he would veto it. That goes contrary to everything I've read on this over the past 3 days. The President would not veto a CLEAN bill to continue military pay. I believe the Senate is now offering that to the House (a CLEAN bill) but that is being turned down. So show me, please, where the President stated he would veto this type of bill. He did say that the bill the GOP offered would be vetoed by him EVEN IF IT MADE IT THROUGH THE SENATE because he's not signing a bill to strip the EPA of its functions and he won't defund Planned Parenthood.

As for Planned Parenthood, it's budget is 0.01% of the ENTIRE budget. It has been illegal, since 1976 for them to spend any federal funds on abortion. They have a strict accounting in place to keep those funds separated and they are regularly audited on their expenses/payouts due the sensitivity of subject. If any misconduct was found, you can bet there would have been absolute ease over MANY administrations to shut them down. But they aren't doing anything wrong. Three percent of their business is abortion. The biggest part of their business is mammograms and cervical cancer screening and the next biggie is providing birth control, and then they provide STD screening and treatment. All for people he do not have access to health insurance. What good would it be to stop that? Untreated HPV? Poor women with late stage breast cancer? It's obvious you don't care and you have NOT a clue about the access to these type of services. Must be nice on your lofty pedastal.
The HOUSE offered up a week extension.

Quote:
Frustrated that the Senate won’t pass any budget bill while the House continues to negotiate to the brink of a government shutdown, John Boehner proposed a one-week CR to keep government open for a week and to secure defense funding through the end of the year. A few minutes ago, the White House stated categorically that it would veto the one-week CR if it passes the Senate in an e-mail blast, underscoring in original:
The Administration strongly opposes House passage of H.R. 1363, making appropriations for the Department of Defense for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2011, and for other purposes. As the President stated on April 5, 2011, if negotiations are making significant progress, the Administration would support a short-term, clean Continuing Resolution to allow for enactment of a final bill.
For the past several weeks, the Administration has worked diligently and in good faith to find common ground on the shared goal of cutting spending. After giving the Congress more time by signing short-term extensions into law, the President believes that we need to put politics aside and work out our differences for a bill that covers the rest of the fiscal year. This bill is a distraction from the real work that would bring us closer to a reasonable compromise for funding the remainder of Fiscal Year 2011 and avert a disruptive Federal Government shutdown that would put the Nation’s economic recovery in jeopardy. The Administration will continue to work with the Congress to arrive at a compromise that will fund the Government for the remainder of the fiscal year in a way that does not undermine future growth and job creation and that averts a costly Government shutdown. It is critical that the Congress send a final bill to the President’s desk that provides certainty to our men and women in military uniform, their families, small businesses, homeowners, taxpayers, and all Americans. H.R. 1363 simply delays that critical final outcome.
If presented with this bill, the President will veto it.
Obama: I’ll veto funding for the troops « Hot Air
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 04:07 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
This whole defunding PP is a war on womens health is absolute bull. Sorry, but PP isnt the only avenue women can go for health concerns. This is mostly about abortion whether you want to believe it or now. Let's not forget how this organization even got started. I dont think we need to go there, but you know.
Three million women a year use PP as their primary health care. They aren't all getting abortions, I assure you. I don't really care how it got started but the fact is, it helps TONS of women that would truly suffer without the access. Of course there are other agencies like it. What's your point?

My point is, the GOP is holding this country hostage over a moral issue. They are willing to let soldier's families go without pay so woman cannot ACCESS healthcare, because the agency that that provides so many wonderful services also performs abortion (using other funds).

Do I think the Repubs should give up their beliefs? No, but today is not the time to fight this battle. They have bigger fish to fry, like REAL debt. I think when the economy gets better and things level out, they should work on their social reforms.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:13 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Thank you for your right-leaning links which were part of my readings today because I, too, could not believe the President would veto funding for the troops. Your link neglected to point out the riders that were attached. They just slanted it to make the President look like a bad guy. Had they offered a clean bill it would have been signed. But don't let the facts get in the way of what you want to believe.

As for ANOTHER CR, (one week extension), both parties vowed after the last one that there would not be another. These CR's are very disruptive if you have the experience of working within the government. As long as we keep allowing extensions, the Congress never gets their job done. I am behind them on NO MORE EXTENSIONS. It's too much and the government does not function properly, well underneath them. So, guess what, if we got an extension for another week, that takes us to April 15th. Congress goes on recess for 2 weeks at that point. Then what happens? That's why a one week extension was not granted.

So far you haven't proven your point.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:20 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
The HOUSE offered up a week extension.

Obama: I’ll veto funding for the troops « Hot Air
Any appropriations for Military must oiginate in the House. The Senate has s. 724 with 60 Senators cosigning that would approve such a clean troop funding bill from the House. The House won't provide one. Send you inquires as to why, to the GOP leader of the House, could be Boehner or Bachmann, we really don't know.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:56 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Any appropriations for Military must oiginate in the House. The Senate has s. 724 with 60 Senators cosigning that would approve such a clean troop funding bill from the House. The House won't provide one. Send you inquires as to why, to the GOP leader of the House, could be Boehner or Bachmann, we really don't know.
No, Reid won't bring it to the floor.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:02 PM

860 posts, read 2,204,040 times
I'll say it again, the President must realize the chit is about to hit the fan and take some drastic actions. Perhaps locking Congress into a permanent session with US Capitol Police physically preventing any member of Congress from leaving until a budget is passed and signed by the President. Only bread and water would be allowed in and all cell phones confiscated and landlines cut to encourage members of Congress to focus on the task at hand. And suspend their salaries until Congress can get it's act together. And any Congressman attempting to leave for the weekend before a budget is passed would be Nancy Kerrigan'd in the kneecap with a police baton.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:02 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
No, Reid won't bring it to the floor.
Err, Reid was one of the 60. But Reid won't bring the bill laden with the social add ons and 12bil in pointless cuts. About that, you are correct.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:05 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
One of my employees came running into my office today to tell me that her sister's husband's sargeant told her husband that the soldiers would only be getting four hundred dollars a month after today. (Wanted a salary advance to help her sister.) I told her that was extremely irresponsible of the sargeant because the government has not been shut down yet. I reminded her that the military would be paid, even if late, but that other government employees would not. Seems strange that a sargeant would go out of his way to alarm others.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:12 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
I'll say it again, the President must realize the chit is about to hit the fan and take some drastic actions. Perhaps locking Congress into a permanent session with US Capitol Police physically preventing any member of Congress from leaving until a budget is passed and signed by the President. Only bread and water would be allowed in and all cell phones confiscated and landlines cut to encourage members of Congress to focus on the task at hand. And suspend their salaries until Congress can get it's act together. And any Congressman attempting to leave for the weekend before a budget is passed would be Nancy Kerrigan'd in the kneecap with a police baton.
That sounds like a very good idea to me.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:21 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
If these legislators leave after a government shutdown it will be political suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies