Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will there be a government shutdown?
Yes 72 63.16%
No 24 21.05%
Not sure 18 15.79%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 03:09 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I am a disabled veteran too, an I have yet to see the liberals do a good thing yet

why cant liberals figure out we need to cut spending
Maybe when Conservatives figure out we need to raise revenue! If the Republican party was a corporation, they would only be interested in cutting costs, and have no agenda for increasing sales!

You guys worship capitalism, so why don't you get this, hiding special interests? We would have a passed budget if we didn't extend the tax cuts to the wealthy. That cost us $80 billion annually!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 03:15 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Do you not get it?

The military IS essential. They have been declared essential. Just like some civilian government workers. That is why the military members must get up tomorrow morning and go to work. Because they are, let's spell it now, E-S-S-E-N-T-I-A-L. As such, they WILL get paid when things start moving again.

It really scares me that the public doesn't even know what the deal is and just twist it to suit their side.

The military members will get paid. They are essential. Their pay will be delayed. It would have been paid on time had the GOP NOT put a Planned Parenthood rider on the bill that would KEEP their pay timely. Why don't you see that? They used the military as chess piece on their agenda.
I agree with the foregoing statement.

At my office, the Administrative Law Judges were declared 'essential' this morning, hence they must report for work next week (if shut-down) and hold the scheduled hearings. They will be paid, after the budget is passed. So it was explained to us.

Meanwhile, all support staff (e.g. me) were declared non-essential. The judges will be on their own for a bit (save for contract hearing reporters and the guards, also essential).

Old 04-08-2011, 03:17 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,528,572 times
Quote:
Do you not get it?

The military IS essential. They have been declared essential. Just like some civilian government workers. That is why the military members must get up tomorrow morning and go to work. Because they are, let's spell it now, E-S-S-E-N-T-I-A-L. As such, they WILL get paid when things start moving again.

It really scares me that the public doesn't even know what the deal is and just twist it to suit their side.

The military members will get paid. They are essential. Their pay will be delayed. It would have been paid on time had the GOP NOT put a Planned Parenthood rider on the bill that would KEEP their pay timely. Why don't you see that? They used the military as chess piece on their agenda.
Exactly!

Old 04-08-2011, 03:47 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,136,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Exactly!

The Senate had something they couldve passed to make sure the military was payed. Obama said he would veto it. So dont try and throw blame anywhere else but where it belongs, with this President and most Dems.

None of you can tell any of us why we are 6 months into the fiscal year and the Dems had not had something done by October 2010 like they were suppose to.

Planned Parenthood is not essential to this country either. Sorry. They are not the only place to get screenings and other things they offer. PP have been caught many times as is, doing things they werent suppose to be doing. And why should the public have to pay for birth control or most of the services they provide? We shouldnt and there are other ways to get all that anyways. Dems realize that PP are big on abortion which is the main reason they dont want to see them go under. You like PP so much? Donate! You like NPR and PBS? Donate.

The words of the day, the words of the year, the words of our current climate are CUT SPENDING. We can live and survive without UnPlanned Parenthood.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:55 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,020,453 times
Does anyone think the Democrats are playing a political game by saying the spending cuts number has been agreed upon? I ask because the Republicans are very strong in saying that the spending cuts number has not been agreed upon and every single Democrat that trots out to the media has almost identical language saying that the spending cuts were agreed upon. Do you think this is one of those moves that Democrats believe if they say something, it will be real and will press the Republicans to agree? Quite fishy indeed.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:57 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,850,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
The Senate had something they couldve passed to make sure the military was payed. Obama said he would veto it. So dont try and throw blame anywhere else but where it belongs, with this President and most Dems.

None of you can tell any of us why we are 6 months into the fiscal year and the Dems had not had something done by October 2010 like they were suppose to.

Planned Parenthood is not essential to this country either. Sorry. They are not the only place to get screenings and other things they offer. PP have been caught many times as is, doing things they werent suppose to be doing. And why should the public have to pay for birth control or most of the services they provide? We shouldnt and there are other ways to get all that anyways. Dems realize that PP are big on abortion which is the main reason they dont want to see them go under. You like PP so much? Donate! You like NPR and PBS? Donate.

The words of the day, the words of the year, the words of our current climate are CUT SPENDING. We can live and survive without UnPlanned Parenthood.
The Senate did pass a clean bill for the troops, sent it to the House who added 12bil in riders and eliminate PP funding. That bill won't float.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:57 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,523 times
Quote:
Yes, two bills with completely unreasonable riders attached. If they REALLY cared about the government continuing to run, they would not do that.
I'm pro choice, so my views on defunding planned parenthood, has nothing to do with the abortion issue.

It is the “general welfare†under which grant funding to NPR and Planned Parenthood is authorized, but, “General welfare†doesn’t give the government the right to fund private businesses. Period.

If PP got out of the federal arena financially, they could also get rid of their goals being politicized, and really
have a greater role and impact.

Planned parenthood has a great argument, for a single
payer health care system, when speaking about the health and welfare of over 1/2 of our citizens - women. That is WHERE they should put their energy.

Because if, as planned parenthood states "This defunding
is a war on womens health"

Then, their real fight should be for universal
health care. Anything short of that, is just lip service.

Medicare for All: Home

Only 6 senators support Medicare for All to date.
In U.S. Representatives its 79 out of 435.

I suggest PP get to work

Old 04-08-2011, 03:58 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post

First of all, I would like to see proof that the SENATE offered a bill to keep the military paid on time and the President said he would veto it. That goes contrary to everything I've read on this over the past 3 days. The President would not veto a CLEAN bill to continue military pay. I believe the Senate is now offering that to the House (a CLEAN bill) but that is being turned down. So show me, please, where the President stated he would veto this type of bill. He did say that the bill the GOP offered would be vetoed by him EVEN IF IT MADE IT THROUGH THE SENATE because he's not signing a bill to strip the EPA of its functions and he won't defund Planned Parenthood.

As for Planned Parenthood, it's budget is 0.01% of the ENTIRE budget. It has been illegal, since 1976 for them to spend any federal funds on abortion. They have a strict accounting in place to keep those funds separated and they are regularly audited on their expenses/payouts due the sensitivity of subject. If any misconduct was found, you can bet there would have been absolute ease over MANY administrations to shut them down. But they aren't doing anything wrong. Three percent of their business is abortion. The biggest part of their business is mammograms and cervical cancer screening and the next biggie is providing birth control, and then they provide STD screening and treatment. All for people who do not have access to health insurance. What good would it be to stop that? Untreated HPV? Poor women with late stage breast cancer? It's obvious you don't care and you have NOT a clue about the access to these type of services. Must be nice on your lofty pedastal.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:00 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Does anyone think the Democrats are playing a political game by saying the spending cuts number has been agreed upon? I ask because the Republicans are very strong in saying that the spending cuts number has not been agreed upon and every single Democrat that trots out to the media has almost identical language saying that the spending cuts were agreed upon. Do you think this is one of those moves that Democrats believe if they say something, it will be real and will press the Republicans to agree? Quite fishy indeed.
Well, if that's true, which it could be, it's brilliant. They are doing what the Republicans have been doing for awhile. Repeat, repeat, repeat and they will believe. The Dems are finally learning from the masters.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:00 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,136,126 times
This whole defunding PP is a war on womens health is absolute bull. Sorry, but PP isnt the only avenue women can go for health concerns. This is mostly about abortion whether you want to believe it or now. Let's not forget how this organization even got started. I dont think we need to go there, but you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies