Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will there be a government shutdown?
Yes 72 63.16%
No 24 21.05%
Not sure 18 15.79%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 05:27 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times

Advertisements

The congress' salaries won't be effected by a shutdown. That was just on the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 05:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
The congress' salaries won't be effected by a shutdown. That was just on the news.
Exactly. To let the government shutdown while they still receive pay will have a serious backlash.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:05 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,866,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
First of all, I would like to see proof that the SENATE offered a bill to keep the military paid on time and the President said he would veto it. That goes contrary to everything I've read on this over the past 3 days. The President would not veto a CLEAN bill to continue military pay. I believe the Senate is now offering that to the House (a CLEAN bill) but that is being turned down. So show me, please, where the President stated he would veto this type of bill. He did say that the bill the GOP offered would be vetoed by him EVEN IF IT MADE IT THROUGH THE SENATE because he's not signing a bill to strip the EPA of its functions and he won't defund Planned Parenthood.

As for Planned Parenthood, it's budget is 0.01% of the ENTIRE budget. It has been illegal, since 1976 for them to spend any federal funds on abortion. They have a strict accounting in place to keep those funds separated and they are regularly audited on their expenses/payouts due the sensitivity of subject. If any misconduct was found, you can bet there would have been absolute ease over MANY administrations to shut them down. But they aren't doing anything wrong. Three percent of their business is abortion. The biggest part of their business is mammograms and cervical cancer screening and the next biggie is providing birth control, and then they provide STD screening and treatment. All for people who do not have access to health insurance. What good would it be to stop that? Untreated HPV? Poor women with late stage breast cancer? It's obvious you don't care and you have NOT a clue about the access to these type of services. Must be nice on your lofty pedastal.

Sounds alot like ACORN And they finally got outted!

Old 04-08-2011, 06:12 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,866,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Three million women a year use PP as their primary health care. They aren't all getting abortions, I assure you. I don't really care how it got started but the fact is, it helps TONS of women that would truly suffer without the access. Of course there are other agencies like it. What's your point?

My point is, the GOP is holding this country hostage over a moral issue. They are willing to let soldier's families go without pay so woman cannot ACCESS healthcare, because the agency that that provides so many wonderful services also performs abortion (using other funds).

Do I think the Repubs should give up their beliefs? No, but today is not the time to fight this battle. They have bigger fish to fry, like REAL debt. I think when the economy gets better and things level out, they should work on their social reforms.

There are other places for women to get these services. There is only one place that our military can expect to get paid from. I guess their families don't matter?

The left always takes everything to the extremes. That's why they aren't seen as credible.

The Dems should not be paid considering they are 6 months behind on creating a budget when they could have avoided this. Can you be 6 months behind on your job?

Old 04-08-2011, 06:34 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
If a deal is reached it will be at 11:59 Friday night. More likely there will be a shutdown and they will work through the weekend. Political pressure will build if the shutdown lasts past Monday.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:39 PM

This is just staged drama on the part of both parties. Disgusting.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:39 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times
These crocks in Washington need to be dealt with. I'm sick and tired of these leeches saying they work for the people but it's all freaking lies. They work for themselves and their special interest groups.

How can these a-holes still get paid and yet our service men and women won't be (yes retro active but that doesn't pay the bills in the mean time)? If it's closes down ship all their asses to Iraq to fight for our freedom.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:44 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
This is just staged drama on the part of both parties. Disgusting.
Rest assured. This is not the democrats idea of a good thing.

This is staged drama on the part of the other party. It's not the first time they've done it.

You should be so proud!

Old 04-08-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:

This is staged drama on the part of the other party. It's not the first time they've done it.

You should be so proud!
It is both parties. Why should I be proud? I am registered as Independent. A fool is still a fool, conservative or liberal.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:55 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,135,543 times
Quote:

You should be so proud!

?!?!?!?!?! Is there something wrong with your brain? Honestly...who the hell didnt pass a budget back when they should have?! The fiscal year ended in 2010 and the Dems punted and punted and punted all the way to today.

And YOU can be a party of Pelosi, Reid, and all the other pieces of trash that are using this to get their math wrong (Pelosi), blame the other party when they should have done this long ago, and using it to say the most hateful and bs rhetoric we've heard in a while.

Yeah, yeah, we get it. You worship the Dems, you would proudly stand side by side with vile like Pelosi and conservatives hate women, blacks, hispanics, gays and want everyone to die. Now, try and think and research for yourself. Just once in your life.

And for the record, Im proud not to be a Citizen of the World. You and Soros and Obama can keep that garbage to yourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies