Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will there be a government shutdown?
Yes 72 63.16%
No 24 21.05%
Not sure 18 15.79%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 03:23 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I don't get the significance of cutting funding for abortions in D.C. Why there and only there? Anyone explain?
Since the RW religious nuts had to get some kind of sacrifice, and DC is not a State, so no "States Rights" issue, the women of DC were sacrificed.
Naw, that is just a rant. DC not being a State, it wasn't clear that the Law against Federal money for abortions was applicable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 04:38 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
To be continued next week. The question really boils down to whether Boehner has the leadership ability to get 348 people to outnumber 87?

Old 04-09-2011, 05:40 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,030 times
imho, this is as much a Dem. problem as a reps. the Dem's were out numbered and had no incentive to create a budget and by not passing one they could point the finger at the repubs. and the repubs would point the finger at the dems.
the whole political game that has been played is disgusting to me and I shall continue to fire my elected officials each time they come up for re-election. term limits can be done each time we vote.
the problem is everyone thinks their guy is doing great,......like sen. Byrd in W.Va he owns a pork farm in that state! fire them all

Old 04-09-2011, 05:44 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I don't get the significance of cutting funding for abortions in D.C. Why there and only there? Anyone explain?

I don't know but thought it was pretty crazy myself, considering the rider said not only could DC not use federal funds but they couldn't use local funds either. Guess the conservatives really don't want to restructure the welfare program, who do they think is going to pay for all these babies that will be born into poverty? I think the conservatives shot themselves in the foot over the defunding of Title X, made them look like they were women haters.

Last edited by ajzjmsmom; 04-09-2011 at 05:57 AM..

Old 04-09-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
imho, this is as much a Dem. problem as a reps. the Dem's were out numbered and had no incentive to create a budget and by not passing one they could point the finger at the repubs. and the repubs would point the finger at the dems.
the whole political game that has been played is disgusting to me and I shall continue to fire my elected officials each time they come up for re-election. term limits can be done each time we vote.
the problem is everyone thinks their guy is doing great,......like sen. Byrd in W.Va he owns a pork farm in that state! fire them all
I am with you, both parties are to blame for this drama and we do need to vote each and everyone of them out, if we voted them out everytime their seat came up for reelection we could insure term limits, but from reading some of the comments made on here, it won't happen. To many people are unwilling to look at the big picture, they see this as a win for their own party. Truth be told both parties won and lost, the Republicans got the largest budget cut in history and the Democrats go the riders taken off the bill, as they should have been.

I find it very funny that everyone thinks it was a mere drop in a bucket and the cuts should have been deeper. I wonder if they understand the concept of sustainability, how making such huge cuts would harm our struggling economy. But I am willing to be these are the same people who think the GOP 2012 budget presented on Tuesday was a good one. Anytime a party says they are serious about cutting a budget and FAIL to include cutting defense, they are not serious.

I saw alot of lies over the last several days, people speaking about things they had no knowledge about.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
To be continued next week. The question really boils down to whether Boehner has the leadership ability to get 348 people to outnumber 87?

Despite the fact I am not overly happy with either party right now, if he was unable to get the votes he needed for the long term bill, he wouldn't have done this, for him to say a deal has been reached and then on Thursday be unable to garner the votes would make not only make him but the Republican congress look very bad and would cause American's to wonder how serious they really were. The mere fact it came to this, over funding women's health care is absolutely insane.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:55 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I wonder if they understand the concept of sustainability, how making such huge cuts would harm our struggling economy. Anytime a party says they are serious about cutting a budget and FAIL to include cutting defense, they are not serious.

I saw alot of lies over the last several days, people speaking about things they had no knowledge about.
No, the huge cuts need to be made. It's a fallacy that
we will be better off, to continue, as we have. Maybe,
we as a nation need to pop in a video of a "real depression" -
The great depression, or a "real war" The civil war,
before we get serious about with our present day.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:48 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Since the RW religious nuts had to get some kind of sacrifice, and DC is not a State, so no "States Rights" issue, the women of DC were sacrificed.
Naw, that is just a rant. DC not being a State, it wasn't clear that the Law against Federal money for abortions was applicable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I don't know but thought it was pretty crazy myself, considering the rider said not only could DC not use federal funds but they couldn't use local funds either. Guess the conservatives really don't want to restructure the welfare program, who do they think is going to pay for all these babies that will be born into poverty? I think the conservatives shot themselves in the foot over the defunding of Title X, made them look like they were women haters.
You are BOTH aware I take it that this rider has been passed before, voted on before by the democrats, including obama?

Old 04-09-2011, 08:20 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Can the RWNJs get any more ridiculous? Planned Parenthood actually provides FREE birth control pills and other health services besides abortions so could the Right please get control of yourselves. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. And I am not pro-abortion by any means but I will say that providing free/low cost healthcare services (ie Pap smears, cholesterol and diabetes screenings) to the many unemployed/underemployed is a good thing. Grow up!

- Planned Parenthood
Thnis is the first thing you have posted that i agree with, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Don't have sex and you won't get pregnant.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:24 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
IMO, your "cure" is very irrational. There are many decent and good people in Congress. To throw them ALL out is not only silly but very juvenile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies