Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will there be a government shutdown?
Yes 72 63.16%
No 24 21.05%
Not sure 18 15.79%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 08:09 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,215,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You of course are wrong.

Government Averts Shutdown With $38 Billion In Budget Cuts: Gothamist

"- Sets discretionary spending for the remainder of the 2011 fiscal year, which ends Sept. 30, at $1.049 trillion. That is $39 billion less than was budgeted for 2010 and $79 billion less than President Obama had requested. House Republicans had wanted $22 billion in additional cuts."

And $6 trillion over 10 years is $600 billion per year, serious cuts by any measure.
I talk BUDGET you play games and I am wrong? Will our TOTAL spending in 2011 be more then in 2010?

The budget is $3.7 Trillion, I don't play the game of discretionary. By 9/30/11 the actual discretionary spending will be over $1.049 T bank on that.

Serious spending would include entitlements and defense, Ryan's budget is a game of economic assumptions, inflated benefits of tax cuts and not accounting for trust fund bonds being made on-budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 08:09 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,281,522 times
Quote:
There are actual effective tax increases in Ryan's plan. Although marginal rates are cut, loopholes are closed. So if the goal is to increase revenue, Ryan's plan does.

In any event, we don't have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem.

How do you figure we don't have a revenue problem? We have both revenue and spending problems.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:10 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Ryan did not cut the defense budget in his 2012 budget, he increased it by 6%, not to mention he is only cutting $6 trillion over 10 yrs and that will be offset by the $4 trillion in tax cuts he is proposing. The CBO says the results would be continued budget deficits until 2040. If the Republicans are unwilling to cut spending across the board they are not serious and to think they are cutting spending on the backs of those less fortunate and seniors.
Reasonable people can disagree, however reasonable people cannot describe $6 trillion in cuts over 10 years as unserious.

If you are advocating greater that $6 trillion in cuts, I am all ears.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:11 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I talk BUDGET you play games and I am wrong? Will our TOTAL spending in 2011 be more then in 2010?

The budget is $3.7 Trillion, I don't play the game of discretionary. By 9/30/11 the actual discretionary spending will be over $1.049 T bank on that.

Serious spending would include entitlements and defense, Ryan's budget is a game of economic assumptions, inflated benefits of tax cuts and not accounting for trust fund bonds being made on-budget.
The 2012 budget will attempt to decrease spending to 2008 levels - about $2.7 Trillion.

Do the math and notice how much the democrats have increased spending.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
How do you figure we don't have a revenue problem? We have both revenue and spending problems.
Here's how.

Historical Federal Receipt and Outlay Summary

Revenue has grown 5 of the last seven years, yet outlays Have doubled in the last 10 years. We are spending way too much.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:14 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
Quote:
There are actual effective tax increases in Ryan's plan. Although marginal rates are cut, loopholes are closed. So if the goal is to increase revenue, Ryan's plan does.

In any event, we don't have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem.
We have both problems. We spend too much and tax too little. I say that because people like what the government does in many cases.

The conversation forward needs to be about what should we keep and what should we cut, then figure out the best way to pay for it.

The general public will not go for Ryan's plan. It cuts too much and is too easy on wealthy citizens. I give Ryan credit for actually putting out a plan and getting the conversation started, but I don't see a majority of citizens supporting it.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
What would you cut and where?
i think the answer to that question is more than what one would be expected to answer in this forum.

but the question shouldnt be where to cut, the question is "you have $2 trillion, what do you want to spend it on?" because thats all you have to work with.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post

You do understand what discretionary means right?

Please direct me to the Dem deficit reduction plan that rivals Ryan's. I think everyone can see how the Dems intend to demagogue the issue.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:19 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
The GOP should come at the 2012 budget in a completely different way.

Instead of enacting a 10 year budget that locks in massive funding, do one year budgets.

Instead of lumping everything into one huge, unreadable bill, take it one department at a time, one year at a time.

I'm absolutely disgusted with these 10 year (and beyond) long term, multi-trillion dollar budget that no one can read or barely comprehend.

Good god, have you ever tried to read the language in these bills - written by lawyers of course, it is no wonder people give up in frustration.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:20 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,215,899 times
Quote:
You of course are wrong.

Government Averts Shutdown With $38 Billion In Budget Cuts: Gothamist

"- Sets discretionary spending for the remainder of the 2011 fiscal year, which ends Sept. 30, at $1.049 trillion. That is $39 billion less than was budgeted for 2010 and $79 billion less than President Obama had requested. House Republicans had wanted $22 billion in additional cuts."

And $6 trillion over 10 years is $600 billion per year, serious cuts by any measure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The 2012 budget will attempt to decrease spending to 2008 levels - about $2.7 Trillion.

Do the math and notice how much the democrats have increased spending.
So it will eliminate ALL discretionary spending? Let me see it please.

In 2000 we spent $1.8 Trillion. In the 2008 budget (Bush) we spent $2.9 T. Both are at fault, stop playing their game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies