Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will there be a government shutdown?
Yes 72 63.16%
No 24 21.05%
Not sure 18 15.79%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 11:10 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Uh..no. That was dealt with much earlier in the day, as Boehner had stated. Chuck and Harry were just demagogueing the issue.

Great achievement for Boehner and the GOP, but this is just the start.
It was still an issue. It appears the agreement earlier in the day was on $38 billion in cuts, but the planned parenthood issue still up in the air.

Planned Parenthood funding remains obstacle to agreement | McClatchy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 11:10 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Its scary that you think 39 billion isn't much... that's just plain scary...
It's not much at all in the context of the US budget, for you to think it is a lot is scary.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I don't get the significance of cutting funding for abortions in D.C. Why there and only there? Anyone explain?
The provision appears to be banning D.C from using their own $$ to provide abortion services to low income women. As far why its different, that likely has to do with the fact D.C is not a state.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:39 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
President Obama averts the Tea Party/Repugnant budget meltdown....WINNING!!

Old 04-09-2011, 12:43 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,561 times
Yay!! Planned Parenthood received their MUCH needed funding......Now women can continue spreading their legs and have unprotected sex, teenage boys can get condoms so they can't impregnate their girlfriends, but when the rubber breaks and the girls get knocked up they can go and murder their unborn baby.....all on the taxpayers dime!!! Isn't America great????

Old 04-09-2011, 12:56 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,467,366 times
As I expected. Those politicians realized they weren't going to get paid.

[I'm only half kidding]

Old 04-09-2011, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Yay!! Planned Parenthood received their MUCH needed funding......Now women can continue spreading their legs and have unprotected sex, teenage boys can get condoms so they can't impregnate their girlfriends, but when the rubber breaks and the girls get knocked up they can go and murder their unborn baby.....all on the taxpayers dime!!! Isn't America great????
Making up things yet again,, how surprising.....

As per Title X Funding Rules, the funds do not go to abortion. The funding that Planned Parenthood gets goes to things like HIV & STD testing, cancer screenings, pap smears, etc.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:00 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Making up things yet again,, how surprising.....

As per Title X Funding Rules, the funds do not go to abortion. The funding that Planned Parenthood gets goes to things like HIV & STD testing, cancer screenings, pap smears, etc.
The radical right don't care about pesky things like facts, just what they want to think

Old 04-09-2011, 01:01 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,713 times
I'm pretty disappointed with the cut. Hardly enough. They probably need to cut something like 2 trillion so we can get back on track.

The national deficit is going out of control too: each citizen's share of this debt is $45,979.43.

A few years ago that number was at 20-30k per person and I could have paid off my share easily -- right away. Today, I would barely be able to do that without going broke ass. I think I might bail from this country pretty soon.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:21 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Can the RWNJs get any more ridiculous? Planned Parenthood actually provides FREE birth control pills and other health services besides abortions so could the Right please get control of yourselves. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. And I am not pro-abortion by any means but I will say that providing free/low cost healthcare services (ie Pap smears, cholesterol and diabetes screenings) to the many unemployed/underemployed is a good thing. Grow up!

- Planned Parenthood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies