Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:46 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
No, but does every other religon go around saying.....we are a religon of "Peace."......
Um.....yeah. I can't think of many religions that declare themselves all about violence or all about war. Can you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 11:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
He did it because of islam. Can you tell me islam doesn't teach that stuff? You are familiar with the term "honor killing", aren't you? You realize islam teaches men to beat and/or kill their wives, right?
He murdered his wife because he wanted to. Just like the thousands of other wives who are killed at the hands of their husbands each year.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:48 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Um.....yeah. I can't think of many religions that declare themselves all about violence or all about war. Can you?
I name one. A 5 letter word...begins with "I". It was founded by a mad man in the desert....he was a murderous thug that attacked caravans.

Of course, some of his followers claim to be peaceful...but truth be told he said to kill the infidels when you find them in the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
He murdered his wife because he wanted to. Just like the thousands of other wives who are killed at the hands of their husbands each year.
Nevermind the fact that his religion actually endorses it.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:49 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
No, but does every other religon go around saying.....we are a religon of "Peace."......

Interesting thought. I thought that most religions prided themselves on proclaiming their peaceful and loving nature. I must be wrong.

In my youth I attended an Episcopal church. I recall that at the end of the service the priest would say something about "May Peace be with You", and we, the congregation, would answer "And peace unto you" (we were rather formal and stilted).

Each Christmas a Pope (I forget the name of the current pope, but believe he is a Nazi) delivers a speech yapping about his desire to see peace through out the world. Of course, Hitler also spoke about 'peace', but since he looked like Charlie Chaplin, no one much believed him.

Indeed, I have known of Protestant preachers calling Jesus the "Prince of Peace". But, they may have been saying it ironically. Such things go over my head.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:10 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
New York Television Executive Gets 25 Years for Beheading Wife - FoxNews.com

Can someone please tell me why this guy has not been sentenced to swing from the end of a rope? And how is 25 years the maximum sentence the judge could impose? Obviously the lousy reporter has left off some critical information. I don't understand this sentence.
The guy committed murder. Give me a break. The least he should have gotten is life. Should have gotten the death penalty. That's what he gave his wife. Doesn't Sharia Law say "eye for an eye" etc? Of course, in Christianity, that means that the punishment should fit the crime. It is not literal, as many non Christians think.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:15 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,388 times
There are several quotes from Bush saying that he invaded Iraq because he felt God told him to, or that it was God's will. Is Christianity responsible for the approximately 100,000 civilians who have died in Iraq as a result?

The convicted murderer in this case is facing justice on the maximum possible sentence for second degree murder. We should use this as an opportunity to advance the rights of women within orthodox Islam, but let's not use this as an opportunity to paint over a billion people with the same brush.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:19 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
How do you 2nd degree murder out of a beheading? Unless you happen to be in a sword fight, I'm guessing a beheading would take a bit of planning.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:23 PM

915 posts, read 1,190,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
He did it because of islam. Can you tell me islam doesn't teach that stuff? You are familiar with the term "honor killing", aren't you? You realize islam teaches men to beat and/or kill their wives, right?

The irony, as a previous poster pointed out, is that this guy started an English language TV channel with the objective of refuting Islamic stereotypes. I wonder if they covered beheadings yet.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:27 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
New York Television Executive Gets 25 Years for Beheading Wife - FoxNews.com

Can someone please tell me why this guy has not been sentenced to swing from the end of a rope? And how is 25 years the maximum sentence the judge could impose? Obviously the lousy reporter has left off some critical information. I don't understand this sentence.
Want me to start posting heinous crimes committed by white christers? I can do that just as readily.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:28 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Interesting thought. I thought that most religions prided themselves on proclaiming their peaceful and loving nature. I must be wrong.

In my youth I attended an Episcopal church. I recall that at the end of the service the priest would say something about "May Peace be with You", and we, the congregation, would answer "And peace unto you" (we were rather formal and stilted).

Each Christmas a Pope (I forget the name of the current pope, but believe he is a Nazi) delivers a speech yapping about his desire to see peace through out the world. Of course, Hitler also spoke about 'peace', but since he looked like Charlie Chaplin, no one much believed him.

Indeed, I have known of Protestant preachers calling Jesus the "Prince of Peace". But, they may have been saying it ironically. Such things go over my head.
Well, I maybe wrong....but there is a HUGE difference in saying "may peace be with you", and saying "our religon is a peacful religon", and then in the same breath say "all infidels must die."

But that's just me, how a person says something, when someone says "peace be with you" that means spirutal "peace."

When a person says "our religon is of peace" while they are loading an AK-47 or strapping on a vest of dynomite." Think about it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies