Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 02:13 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times

Advertisements

Coast to coast, from Maine to Marin County, Calif., the number of homes being outfitted with smart meters that keep a close eye on homeowner electricity use is on the rise. And so is the number of folks who think smart meters are a dumb idea.

Could smart electric meters be a dumb idea? - USATODAY.com

Strange device
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 02:19 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
It is. It is part of the alarmist global warming agenda. There's been many reports that the utilities actually jack up your rates after putting in these smart meters, even if you use less electricity your bill is the same, or higher than it was before the meter was installed. Also it's causing some kind of electromagnetic wave sickness in some people as well but all in all, this is to remotely control your electricity and is tied to the failed carbon taxes

Old 03-09-2011, 02:26 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It is. It is part of the alarmist global warming agenda. There's been many reports that the utilities actually jack up your rates after putting in these smart meters, even if you use less electricity your bill is the same, or higher than it was before the meter was installed. Also it's causing some kind of electromagnetic wave sickness in some people as well but all in all, this is to remotely control your electricity and is tied to the failed carbon taxes
Apparently.I liked the idea at the beginning, but not now

Old 03-09-2011, 02:29 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Apparently.I liked the idea at the beginning, but not now
You have to read between the lines. I know when these smart meters were coming out, they were touting people with things such as "You can monitor individual appliance consumption rates so you can make adjustments to reduce your electricity use" and things like that, then it came out that the smart meters were made to be remotely controlled by the utility and they are thinking of making new appliances with RFID technology mated with these smart meters to turn off your appliances without your consent.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:36 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
my power bill went up after they installed those "smart" meters. Now they don't have to estimate low.

Next I hear my city (SLC, UT) is going to put in "smart" parking meters that notify parking enforcement when the meter expires if a car is still parked there.

Yay Technology!

Old 03-09-2011, 02:36 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
More tin-foil hattery. Next I'm going to hear about banning wifi, toll tags, cell phones... and how they are making people spend more.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:06 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Don't u just love the advancements in Technology. Along with new advances, comes crap like this.
I am more then sure they have their angle.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:24 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Coast to coast, from Maine to Marin County, Calif., the number of homes being outfitted with smart meters that keep a close eye on homeowner electricity use is on the rise. And so is the number of folks who think smart meters are a dumb idea.

Could smart electric meters be a dumb idea? - USATODAY.com

Strange device
My house in FL was outfitted with one of these things. The first month, my bill was WAY higher. They put a "test meter" on there for a week to monitor it and apparently they came back with the same reading and they concluded everything was right. I still question it. I don't worry about burglars or that kind of thing (it's obvious from the exterior of the home when lights are turned off, why do they need to watch my meter?), just the accuracy of the meter. On the positive side, they were able to send me a record of each day's usage so I could see what was going on. I was still never able to pinpoint a potential problem, and we moved not too long after, so I have no idea if the electric company is now gouging our renter or not.

ETA: The first month they put it on, it was January, and it was unseasonably cold (we actually had flurries in central FL) so they told me that was why the bill was higher. I got the daily records and there was significant power usage on days we were out of town.... No tinfoil hat needed here, just an overhaul of the gov't-controlled electric company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies