Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:15 PM

10,034 posts, read 9,518,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Ummmmmmmmmm people should be spending their money on preparing for disasters here in America, especially California. People should be spending money on getting healthy. Look at the fat slobs waiting in line for the Ipod.
They're preparing for the potential devastating tsunami, if you look at the bottom of the ipods it reads "this may be used as a flotation device."

Old 03-12-2011, 06:21 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,096,801 times
Quote:
Oh please people come on.................The Chinese and Japanese are as racist as anybody. Obviously few people that think otherwise have ever been to China or Japan nor have they ever lived in asian communities in the US. MOST cultures stick together and put their people first......but if white Americans do it they are considered racist. Hence why America's multiculturalism is destroying the country.

The same person that used the word *** would have a hissy fit if you used the word f*g.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:39 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,361,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
When I think of the Japanese, I think about my relative who died in a Japanese PoW camp. I think about all of our men who died of mistreatment, those of our allies who died of mistreatment, the civilians who were interned and treated horribly, the Korean women forced into prostitution, the rape of Nanking and all the others that suffered. I have great difficulty entertaining charitable feelings towards the Japanese.

I understand your feelings. My father fought in WWII, and he carried his experiences (and, unfortunately, prejudices) from the war for the rest of his life. What started with the Pearl Harbor attack is difficult for the "greatest generation" to forget. But, the folks suffering in the 'quake, tsunami, and now this threatening nuclear melt down weren't born before WWII, they're not the ones who attacked us or committed those atrocities. They were attacked by a fluke of nature.

Edit: Sorry, just wanted to add - my brother-in-law spent some time in Japan as a missionary, and the stories of the friendly hospitality and the friends he made there just flew in the face of the opinion I had of the Japanese from listening to the war stories. I met some of them when they came to the states to visit - nicest bunch of people I ever met in my life.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:11 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,689,580 times
The Japanese.

Those of Japanese descent, but who live in other countries.

Those who do business with Japan.

I guess that's probably about it.

None of which apply to me though.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:02 AM

24,438 posts, read 23,103,140 times
You have people fighting over on sale items at Wal Mart, people going ape $%^& over not getting the food they want at fast food places, people killing each other over parking spaces. Imagine what would happen in the event of a real emergency. You saw how quickly New Orleans collapsed into disorder and chaos.
The japanese will be okay, but they have a real problem now with that nuclear melt down.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:48 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,304,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Idiots ? Denounced !
I love Japan but people have life, they can't stop living.Japan is prepared for tsunami, it's not Haiti.
Tell me how they were prepared for a tsunami?
How does one prepare for a tsunami?
Or an earthquake of that magnitude?
Or the destruction of an energy plant?

Old 03-12-2011, 09:09 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,364,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

You make earthquake-proof buildings-- they're designed to sway in such a way that they don't crumble/fall. Consider the architecture of buildings in Tokyo, California, Seattle...

With the energy plants, they automatically shut down when they detect a quake, which is basically what happened here. They all shut down when they were supposed to, however, one had cooling issues after it came back online, hence the blast.

Tsunamis are obviously more difficult-- the ability to predict them though has VASTLY improved since 2004. People were able to be warned right after the earthquake hit and communication was quick enough to other countries.

However, it appears that most were unable to get out of Sendai quickly enough. At the same time though, consider how many lives probably were saved by the early warning.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:06 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,043,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
First of all, I have a username here, USE IT. Secondly, you expose your cluelessness with each new post. You know nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing about the preparedness of local police and fire to handle an emergency. But I do. You see, as a CERT First Responder, I participate in ongoing training, not just for myself, but for the local police and firefighters, as a victim in exercises up to and including a wide-scale chemical attack. I see how hard they train first hand. .

It doesn't matter how hard they train. The local FD and PDs will be completely overwhelmed if a 9.0 earthquake ever hit CA. That is the point. Most hospitals are completely UNPREPARED for the influx they would get. Most of the local hospitals and trauma centers can barely keep up with the regular week to week load of patients without going into code diversion. You are clueless, you really are. In a 9.1 earthquake like what hit Japan where roads have crumbled, firetrucks won't be able to get around, bridges will have collapsed. The number of civillians will outnumber local rescuers by 1000 to 1. Ambulances won't be able to get around. Do you understand the destructive force of a 9.1 earthquake? LMAO! Go practice cribbing lady because you live in a fantasy world.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-12-2011 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: discuss the thread topic and not other members

Old 03-12-2011, 11:19 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,447,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Japan earthquake: country better prepared than anyone for quakes and tsunamis - Telegraph
  • Every schoolchild in Japan will be familiar with earthquake drills in which alarms sound and children retreat under their desks to shelter from falling debris. The drills take place every month, with the children being taught to go head-first under the desk and cling to table legs until the quake is over. Schools with two storys or more have evacuation chutes which children can slide down to safety.
  • Buildings are made earthquake proof with the aid of deep foundation and massive shock absorbers that dampen seismic energy.
  • For those trapped, all offices and many private houses in Japan have an earthquake emergency kits, including dry rations, drinking water, basic medical supplies. Offices and schools also keep hard-hats and gloves for use in the event of a quake.
Japan prepared well for tsunami - CNN.com
  • Japan's northern coastline is perhaps the best protected area in the world against tsunamis. Ten-meter high walls defend many towns.
  • Road signs mark the beginning and end of inundation areas determined as such by sophisticated computer simulations.
  • Evacuation routes are well-signed, and vertical evacuation is available in areas distant from high ground.
  • Green belts designed to dissipate tsunami energy line most of the coast.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:24 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
Quote:
We Americans have more important things to worry about...........

iPad 2 launches at 5 p.m., lines likely - OC Unwired - The Orange County Register

American idiots waiting in line for more crap they don't need.
Life goes o but normally the american people alos do whatthey can as we have seen from times past such disasters.I woud tnk the Op would alos mention peoplepost on internet forums being more important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies