Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 10:42 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,233,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
They are both human. As is the baby in mom's womb.

Next?
The fetus/embryo/parasite in the mothers womb is not a human. It's not breathing. It sustains itself by siphoning life off of the host.

Next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:43 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,031,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defective14 View Post
Nice try. Deflection failed. Typical of you conservative/republican types. Have fun!

Let me try this again: I'm a moderate. What part of that don't you understand? What part of that makes you respond as a 5th grader would? (and I apologize to 5th graders for that)

*waiting for an intelligent response ... or for the "I know you are but what am I" response that seems more likely*

Old 03-15-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Let me try this again: I'm a moderate. What part of that don't you understand? What part of that makes you respond as a 5th grader would? (and I apologize to 5th graders for that)

*waiting for an intelligent response ... or for the "I know you are but what am I" response that seems more likely*

The thing in the womb is a fetus/embryo/parasite until it takes its first breath. THEN and ONLY then does it get certain unalienable rights. Until that time, it's not breathing, it's not life. It is a parasite and can be discarded by the woman if she so chooses.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:48 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,031,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defective14 View Post
The thing in the womb is a fetus/embryo/parasite until it takes its first breath. THEN and ONLY then does it get certain unalienable rights. Until that time, it's not breathing, it's not life. It is a parasite and can be discarded by the woman if she so chooses.
I completely disagree with you but respect that type of response.
You could have done that earlier. Sheesh.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
I completely disagree with you but respect that type of response.
You could have done that earlier. Sheesh.
Not that it would have mattered, but thank you.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:57 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,016,364 times
No, this is like saying "If you're drunk, you shouldn't be forced to drive a motor vehicle, on the off chance you won't kill anybody."

Ah ha, this is my point. This is to assume that all pregnant women that are considering an abortion will abuse/neglect their children. This is like assuming all drivers are drunk.

If a woman does not want to bring a child into this world, I would think that's a pretty good indicator of future behavior. She's already made an informed decision that she doesn't want the child.

Not all women that make that decision have been informed. That's the point of the ultrasound. (BTW, I'm not in love with the bill. I think a photo at whatever stage of development and a discussion with a doctor is sufficient. Again, being in the financial industry, I don't think we have to run videos of people being evicted is necessary to get the point across when they sign up for a mortgage.)

The government shouldn't meddle further into it by trying to guilt the mother into having the baby, if the government (or the people pushing for the intervention) are not willing to follow through with the consequences of the decision.

I don't think guilt is the motivation here. Well, maybe it is for some, but I'm not speaking for them. The motivation is making sure that no women end up with regrets in the long run.

Thanks for not resorting to a nasty tone or name-calling. I really appreciate the opportunity to have a reasonable discussion like this.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:02 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,773,669 times
I do not think a woman should be forced to see the unborn on an ultrasound prior to an abortion.

It is her choice PERIOD. Mandatory questioning before the procedure, yes, forcing her to see the unborn, no way.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:13 AM

13,495 posts, read 9,998,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
No, this is like saying "If you're drunk, you shouldn't be forced to drive a motor vehicle, on the off chance you won't kill anybody."

Ah ha, this is my point. This is to assume that all pregnant women that are considering an abortion will abuse/neglect their children. This is like assuming all drivers are drunk.
Yeah, but I'm really not saying that. I'm saying that if you have a woman that is either not willing emotionally or in any type position to care for a child, and they've already concluded that's the case - and they change their mind on a whim, but their reality doesn't change along with it - then you (the people) who put the machination in place for them to change their mind had better have a support system to guarantee that that woman and her child will have assistance when that heartbeat becomes a reality.

My point is - that the people who push this kind of legislation the hardest are usually the least willing to take care of the resulting problems that arise from their intervention. I'm not saying all outcomes will be bad - but some certainly will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
If a woman does not want to bring a child into this world, I would think that's a pretty good indicator of future behavior. She's already made an informed decision that she doesn't want the child.

Not all women that make that decision have been informed. That's the point of the ultrasound. (BTW, I'm not in love with the bill. I think a photo at whatever stage of development and a discussion with a doctor is sufficient. Again, being in the financial industry, I don't think we have to run videos of people being evicted is necessary to get the point across when they sign up for a mortgage.)

The government shouldn't meddle further into it by trying to guilt the mother into having the baby, if the government (or the people pushing for the intervention) are not willing to follow through with the consequences of the decision.

I don't think guilt is the motivation here. Well, maybe it is for some, but I'm not speaking for them. The motivation is making sure that no women end up with regrets in the long run.

Thanks for not resorting to a nasty tone or name-calling. I really appreciate the opportunity to have a reasonable discussion like this.
No worries! I don't really think we have a beef here. I agree that women should be informed. I don't believe they should be manipulated against their will into changing their minds. I don't think you think they should either. I think it would be fabulous if all women facing an unplanned pregnancy would go about it as you did. But I just don't think that's going to happen, and I'm concerned with the potential fall-out for the kids that get caught in the middle.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:51 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,473,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
Why does everyone put the cart before the horse? Why not give free and open access to birth control? It would be much cheaper and safer than abortions. I know that even my health insurance didn't cover birth control back in the day (2000) when I was on it. It seems like great "preventitive medicine" to me.
Why not keep your damn legs closed if you can't afford a child OR birth control? Why not? Why is it my or anyone else's problem if a woman who we don't even know gets pregnant because they were irresponsible? Sorry about their bad luck, but they are responsible for their own actions. Nobody else is.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:55 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,473,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yeah, but I'm really not saying that. I'm saying that if you have a woman that is either not willing emotionally or in any type position to care for a child, and they've already concluded that's the case - and they change their mind on a whim, but their reality doesn't change along with it - then you (the people) who put the machination in place for them to change their mind had better have a support system to guarantee that that woman and her child will have assistance when that heartbeat becomes a reality.

My point is - that the people who push this kind of legislation the hardest are usually the least willing to take care of the resulting problems that arise from their intervention. I'm not saying all outcomes will be bad - but some certainly will.

No worries! I don't really think we have a beef here. I agree that women should be informed. I don't believe they should be manipulated against their will into changing their minds. I don't think you think they should either. I think it would be fabulous if all women facing an unplanned pregnancy would go about it as you did. But I just don't think that's going to happen, and I'm concerned with the potential fall-out for the kids that get caught in the middle.
How does someone actually get caught up in an unplanned pregancy? They didn't know that sex causes babies? They were irresponsible and didn't use birth control or a contraceptive? The only way you could ever get caught up in an unplanned pregnancy is to either have been raped or your contraceptive failed. Both don't happen at great frequency. If you were raped, I can see having public funding for an abortion, but not if either you were irresponsible or your contraceptive failed. There are consequences for your own actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies