Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:40 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Again, you lost this argument - nullification - a long time ago and for some very good reasons.

What is it with the Right these days, trying to revive long-dead jurisprudence?

You guys want to bring back public hangings next?

where do you get the idea that this is a right wing concept? you know strel i really enjoy deating with you because you limit the cheap shots, but this idea that nullification is the hiding place for racists is absurd.

you need to study your history a little. nullification was used heavily by the northern states.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrcM5...eature=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 01:43 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
where do you get the idea that this is a right wing concept? you know strel i really enjoy deating with you because you limit the cheap shots, but this idea that nullification is the hiding place for racists is absurd.
I don't think it WAS a right wing concept back them, necessarily. But it is mostly the right wing that is trumpeting it on the internet these days.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:45 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
private industry needs competition to keep them honest and to keep them efficient. i don't see govt as any different.
Government was never meant to be a for-profit enterprise but to serve the people it represented and in their best interest. And while private businesses can merge and take over, governments weren't meant to.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what works in Europe would work here.

Plus, being from Florida, I don't have a great deal of confidence in state government.

i live in florida too and have a lot of confidence in this administration. apart from the golf course thing, which i know very little about, i don't think scott has made a bad decision yet.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:47 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
racism is a really tired excuse to let the federal govt get away with everything. unfortunately we live in a very polarized country. half of the country wants the fed govt to pay for healthcare, the other half not. half of the country wants gay marriage, the other not, half of the country want pot legalized the other not. i could go on all day. the reality is that this ends many arguments, because you can ultimately vote with your feet. this one size fits all approach makes for a very unhappy citizenry.

on the topic of interracial marriage do you really think that were it not for the 14th amendment, you still would not be able to marry outside of your race? really? that is a load of nonsense and you know it. some states might have been a bit slow in the uptake, but eventually they'll all get it.
The fact they had to "get it" at all says everything that needs to be said.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Government was never meant to be a for-profit enterprise but to serve the people it represented and in their best interest. And while private businesses can merge and take over, governments weren't meant to.
We're seeing this right now in Florida, where Rick Scott is trying to reorganize the state government on a corporate model.

It's not going to work. But it has provided some moments of hilarity down here.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Wouldn't that be "Bible beaters?"

okay, bible beaters, happy clappies, religious nutjobs etc

Old 03-15-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
i live in florida too and have a lot of confidence in this administration. apart from the golf course thing, which i know very little about, i don't think scott has made a bad decision yet.

Oh boy, I could go on for hours about the bad ideas Governor Voldemort has proposed so far.

But that's a topic for another thread.

He's going to get a painful lesson or two if he doesn't start listening to his lawyers.

Lucky for him the legislators hired a terrible lawyer for that rail fund challenge/writ of quo warranto case. That was painful to watch. I could have done better with no preparation and just a copy of the damn petition.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:55 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The 14th amendment was a power grab, and was passed by a congress that didn't represent all of the people, of course some of which had already tried to leave the union.

I understand its law, but it granted WAY to much power to the federal branch, and essentially ended states rights. I disagree with it in principle, and it should be repealed. I've written my congressmen and women to that effect, its really my only recourse. But until the general population (which is generally fat, dumb, and happy) get behind such a measure, its a pipe dream.
MAYBE THEY SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT THAT BEFORE THEY SECEEDED!

I have yet to see any anybody take a serious crack at repealing the Fourteen Amendment.

I suppose you feel the Thirteenth and Fifteenth Amendments were power grabs to.

And you're damn right repealing these Amendments is just that A PIPE DREAM.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I don't think it WAS a right wing concept back them, necessarily. But it is mostly the right wing that is trumpeting it on the internet these days.

those states who'd use nullification to counter any of their rascist policies would rapidly feel the force of economic isolation today. perhaps nullification might be on the kkk's wishlist for christmas, but as you say, they(kkk and the like) must be careful what they wish for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies