Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:32 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
While based in Federal, I'd suggest you get the rules of court for the state you are interested in filing BK in -
I don't need to get them, they are sitting on my desk.

It's still handled in Federal court. That doesn't mean the Federal courts don't utilize state law when appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 11:33 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And...? Do states get to mind their own business, disregarding federal laws?

they shouldn't. they should have the option to nullify those laws in the way that wisconsin and vermont nullified the fugitive slave act. similarly, acts like the patriot act would've been nullified along with obamacare, no child left behind, the food safety bill and others. both the left and right should support the right of states to nullify federal law

Old 03-15-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
What do you even mean by "revive the 10th"? It wasn't repealed so it still exists. If it still exists, then it still has meaning.
It's in a coma.

The 14th amendment was really targeted at the 10th and effectively gutted it.

This was intentional.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:34 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I don't need to get them, they are sitting on my desk.
As they are on mine

Old 03-15-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
they shouldn't. they should have the option to nullify those laws in the way that wisconsin and vermont nullified the fugitive slave act. similarly, acts like the patriot act would've been nullified along with obamacare, no child left behind, the food safety bill and others. both the left and right should support the right of states to nullify federal law
Again, you lost this argument - nullification - a long time ago and for some very good reasons.

What is it with the Right these days, trying to revive long-dead jurisprudence?

You guys want to bring back public hangings next?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:39 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:
Again, you lost this argument - nullification - a long time ago and for some very good reasons.

What is it with the Right these days, trying to revive long-dead jurisprudence?

You guys want to bring back public hangings next?
I have a problem with the broad interpretation of the constitution that has taken place since Lincoln. I'm not saying you have a point, there were reasons why the constitution may have been overstepped. Its generally in a situation that demands immediate action to correct, so that the process of amending the constitution would take to long, and you would lose the chance to correct the issue.

However.....

Those few times in the past that have needed fixing have come and gone, yet the government refuses to fix the past wrongs to our founding documents. When will that happen? All in the name of "precedent".

I'm all for amending the constitution if it needs it, but lets put these things up for a vote, if the majority of the states agree, then we aren't breaking our own laws in the name of "precedent".

Old 03-15-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I have a problem with the broad interpretation of the constitution that has taken place since Lincoln. I'm not saying you have a point, there were reasons why the constitution may have been overstepped. Its generally in a situation that demands immediate action to correct, so that the process of amending the constitution would take to long, and you would lose the chance to correct the issue.

However.....

Those few times in the past that have needed fixing have come and gone, yet the government refuses to fix the past wrongs to our founding documents. When will that happen? All in the name of "precedent".

I'm all for amending the constitution if it needs it, but lets put these things up for a vote, if the majority of the states agree, then we aren't breaking our own laws in the name of "precedent".
Fair enough.

But I think some here don't really understand that the 14th amendment actually AMENDED the Constitution.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:50 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
States were put under federal authority with the US constitution, and allowed to add more, not subtract from. Bankruptcy law is a good example, no?

Likewise, health care reform leaves it up to states, to devise ways, to meet federal requirements. For example, you probably want federal government to put all states under a uniform tort reform as a fix all to health care woes (technically breaking your own claim of supporting states' rights), while some states like Vermont, California, Pennsylvania, Illinois etc are in the process of creating single payer system. True?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:50 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:
Fair enough.

But I think some here don't really understand that the 14th amendment actually AMENDED the Constitution.
The 14th amendment was a power grab, and was passed by a congress that didn't represent all of the people, of course some of which had already tried to leave the union.

I understand its law, but it granted WAY to much power to the federal branch, and essentially ended states rights. I disagree with it in principle, and it should be repealed. I've written my congressmen and women to that effect, its really my only recourse. But until the general population (which is generally fat, dumb, and happy) get behind such a measure, its a pipe dream.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The 14th amendment was a power grab, and was passed by a congress that didn't represent all of the people, of course some of which had already tried to leave the union.

I understand its law, but it granted WAY to much power to the federal branch, and essentially ended states rights. I disagree with it in principle, and it should be repealed. I've written my congressmen and women to that effect, its really my only recourse. But until the general population (which is generally fat, dumb, and happy) get behind such a measure, its a pipe dream.
You might be the first 10th amendment proponent I've seen on this board that actually makes some sense and has a clue. Thankfully you understand the law.

But do you not worry about the parade of horribles that could ensure, especially in the civil rights realm, if we didn't have due process and equal protection enforced on the states?

How would you avoid that? I think EP is one of the things that makes this country great - a nation of laws applied equally to all.

If you do away with the 14th, what would you replace it with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies