Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:49 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So 10% protesting and hearings mean what? IF this was so counter to the Israeli belief system, isn't 10% a bit low? What were the results of the hearings? Charges? Convictions? Punishment?

So Sharon resigned as defense minister yet remained in the cabinet., that's just punishment for the incident? Would Israel accept similar 'punishment' of a Hamas leader as just for a similar incident against Israel?

If not, what's the difference between the sides?
That would be like 30+ million protesting here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 02:51 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
I think there is enough attention focused on such a small place, that adding oil to the mix would only make things worse.
I'm not so sure, look at Saudi Arabia, despite numerous human rights issues, oppressive government, the funding of radical anti-western madrassas, and the fact so many of the 9/11 hijackers carried Saudi passports the country itself is paid lip service as being a great friend of the US. For any other reason than oil? I think not.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:57 PM

915 posts, read 1,190,877 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure, look at Saudi Arabia, despite numerous human rights issues, oppressive government, the funding of radical anti-western madrassas, and the fact so many of the 9/11 hijackers carried Saudi passports the country itself is paid lip service as being a great friend of the US. For any other reason than oil? I think not.

Israel's problem is not a lack of US support. It's right to exist is in question. Oil would not affect that positively.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:01 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
It is a problem to have a Jewish state?
Yes, it is a problem for those who are not Jewish but have called the land their home. At least the same kind of problems that prompted the pilgrims to get on-board the Mayflower. No? We're talking about a country that criminalizes free speech and is based on religiosity. What kind of problem would that bring about, right?

Quote:
Israel's problem is not a lack of US support. It's right to exist is in question. Oil would not affect that positively.
Israel has been made a bit too much of America's liability over the decades. As for oil, no other country in the world could hold a claim on America's strategic oil reserve but Israel.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
So 10% protesting and hearings mean what? IF this was so counter to the Israeli belief system, isn't 10% a bit low? What were the results of the hearings? Charges? Convictions? Punishment?

So Sharon resigned as defense minister yet remained in the cabinet., that's just punishment for the incident? Would Israel accept similar 'punishment' of a Hamas leader as just for a similar incident against Israel?

If not, what's the difference between the sides?

By contrast the largest Vietnam War protest occurred in Washington DC and San Francisco in 1969, with about .25% of the US population participating.

I would say that anything that gets 10% of the population angry enough to demonstrate is quite substantial.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:27 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Default More from the Hamas animals

One Dead, Dozens Injured in Jerusalem Bus Explosion

Quote:
JERUSALEM – A bomb struck a crowded bus stop in central Jerusalem Wednesday, killing one woman and wounding more than 20 other people in what authorities said was the first major Palestinian militant attack in the city in several years.
One Dead, Dozens Injured in Jerusalem Bus Explosion - FoxNews.com

Old 03-23-2011, 04:07 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Yes, it is a problem for those who are not Jewish but have called the land their home. At least the same kind of problems that prompted the pilgrims to get on-board the Mayflower. No? We're talking about a country that criminalizes free speech and is based on religiosity. What kind of problem would that bring about, right?
Except of course you are free to be whatever religion you want to be in Israel....
So it being Jewish isn't like say Saudi Arabia being Muslim and not allowing other religions to openly practice....
Quote:
Israel has been made a bit too much of America's liability over the decades. As for oil, no other country in the world could hold a claim on America's strategic oil reserve but Israel.
I agree,it was better when Israel wasn't so close to the USA.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:09 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,799,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I'm all for a Palestinian state.

I'm even for talks of dividing up East Jerusalem and abandoning all the West Bank settlements. If Palestinians want a state, they should have one.

BUT Jews deserve a state regardless (at least in the pre 1967 borders) --- Palestinians need to understand that if they get a Muslim state than the Jews get a Jewish state and they're not going anywhere.

SLAUGHTERING innocent civilians will get them nowhere. Down with Hamas.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I'm all for a Palestinian state.

I'm even for talks of dividing up East Jerusalem and abandoning all the West Bank settlements. If Palestinians want a state, they should have one.

BUT Jews deserve a state regardless (at least in the pre 1967 borders) --- Palestinians need to understand that if they get a Muslim state than the Jews get a Jewish state and they're not going anywhere.

SLAUGHTERING innocent civilians will get them nowhere. Down with Hamas.

I hate to go off topic, but the Palestinians do have a state. It's called Jordan.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:27 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:

Israel can exist, just not in Palestinian territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies