Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:43 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,314 times

Advertisements

This should be important to you whether you are an R, D or I.

C H E E R S
This will take less than thirty seconds to read. It makes sense. If you agree, please pass it on.

For too long we have been too complacent about the workings of Congress. Many citizens had no idea that members of Congress can retire with full pay after only one term, that they didn't pay into Social Security, that they exempt themselves from many of the laws they have passed (i.e. being exempt from prosecution for misconduct) unlike ordinary citizens. The latest is to exempt themselves from the Healthcare Reform that is being considered...in all of its forms. Seems illogical. We do not have an elite that is above the law. Whether Democrat, Republican, Independent or whatever, the self-serving must stop. Consider the following - an idea whose time has come.

Have each person contact a minimum of Twenty people on their Address list, in turn ask each of those to do likewise.
In three days, most people in
The United States of America will have the message. This is one proposal that really should be passed around.

Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution:

"Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States ".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 12:34 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Assuming that this thread was started in reaction to the passage of the health care reform bill, do you think that Congress has exempted themselves from this legislation? They haven't. From H.R. 3590:

SEC. 1312. CONSUMER CHOICE.
(D) MEMBERS OF CONGRESS IN THE EXCHANGE-
(i) REQUIREMENT- Notwithstanding any other provision of law, after the effective date of this subtitle, the only health plans that the Federal Government may make available to Members of Congress and congressional staff with respect to their service as a Member of Congress or congressional staff shall be health plans that are--
(I) created under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act); or
(II) offered through an Exchange established under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act).

Old 03-23-2010, 12:44 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
"Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States ".
Yippy good on you.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:02 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Even a blind squirrel finds an occasional nut.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:05 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Even a blind squirrel finds an occasional nut.
Well be nice now

Now it is time to set aside our diffrences and take effective action.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:19 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times
Default Proposed 28th Amendment

Governors of 35 states have already filed suit against the Federal Government for imposing unlawful burdens upon them. It only takes 38 (˜ of the 50) States to convene a Constitutional Convention.

Really important! Hope you all do it!

This will take less than thirty seconds to read. If you agree, please pass it on.

An idea whose time has come

For too long we have been too complacent about the workings of Congress. Many citizens had no idea that members of Congress could retire with the same pay after only one term, that they didn't pay into Social Security, that they specifically exempted themselves from many of the laws they have passed (such as being exempt from any fear of prosecution for sexual harassment) while ordinary citizens must live under those laws. The latest is to exempt themselves from the Healthcare Reform that is being considered...in all of its forms. Somehow, that doesn't seem logical. We do not have an elite that is above the law. I truly don't care if they are Democrat, Republican, Independent or whatever. The self-serving must stop. This is a good way to do that. It is an idea whose time has come.

Have each person contact a minimum of twenty people on their Address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.

In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one proposal that really should be passed around.

Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution
"Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States ."

You are one of my 20.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:25 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,062 times
I would back that measure of the 28th Amendment 100 percent. It's long over due.

As much as I want to support and honor the congressman/senators for the work they do, sadly I can not. Most of them are crooks and liars. And the freebies and benefits they get are so undeserving. In my opinion, most of their benefits should be taken away permanently. There is no reason they should get those perks. Especially those who serve one term or less. I was in the Navy for 9 years, but I dont get any perks like that. Why? Why do they and not me? Its bs. Sure I didnt join for perks but if these rich crooks get the perks for "serving" why shouldnt those in the military who risks are so far greater than those of a Senator/Congressman.
I think another Amendment should be added to give those who served in the military extra benefits, whether they retired or not. As long as they have an Honorable Discharge they should get as much if not more than what those in DC currently get.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:27 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Will never happen and not sure I'd support it. I'd much rather see something like

Congress shall make no laws to enforce actions by the state without the states concent..

Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Assuming that this thread was started in reaction to the passage of the health care reform bill, do you think that Congress has exempted themselves from this legislation? They haven't. From H.R. 3590:

SEC. 1312. CONSUMER CHOICE.
(D) MEMBERS OF CONGRESS IN THE EXCHANGE-
(i) REQUIREMENT- Notwithstanding any other provision of law, after the effective date of this subtitle, the only health plans that the Federal Government may make available to Members of Congress and congressional staff with respect to their service as a Member of Congress or congressional staff shall be health plans that are--
(I) created under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act); or
(II) offered through an Exchange established under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act).
Limited reading of the bill because other provisions of the law grandfathers the Congressional CURRENT healthcare plan. So if the Congressional CURRENT healthcare plan ever goes out of business, THEN they would need to follow this bill..

Do you realy think the Congressional healthcare plan can/will go out of business?

Old 06-23-2010, 12:31 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Governors of 35 states have already filed suit against the Federal Government for imposing unlawful burdens upon them. It only takes 38 (˜ of the 50) States to convene a Constitutional Convention.

Really important! Hope you all do it!

This will take less than thirty seconds to read. If you agree, please pass it on.

An idea whose time has come

For too long we have been too complacent about the workings of Congress. Many citizens had no idea that members of Congress could retire with the same pay after only one term, that they didn't pay into Social Security, that they specifically exempted themselves from many of the laws they have passed (such as being exempt from any fear of prosecution for sexual harassment) while ordinary citizens must live under those laws. The latest is to exempt themselves from the Healthcare Reform that is being considered...in all of its forms. Somehow, that doesn't seem logical. We do not have an elite that is above the law. I truly don't care if they are Democrat, Republican, Independent or whatever. The self-serving must stop. This is a good way to do that. It is an idea whose time has come.

Have each person contact a minimum of twenty people on their Address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.

In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one proposal that really should be passed around.

Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution
"Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States .".
And void all laws, ab initio, currently repugnant to the aforesaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies