Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:17 PM

7,191 posts, read 4,780,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Where can I sign the recall petition on Pearce and Frau Blucher

There you go http://http://recallpearce.com/ Be advised there are several groups from different sides of the political spectrum who want to recall him.

Now, even the LDS Church hierarchy in Salt Lake (Pearce is a Mormon from Mesa) is frowning on this idiot. They need to give the nod to all the "ward presidents" in Mesa and recall his sorry behind.

Can you believe that Pearce said that "Arizonans are not Citizens of the United States, but citizens of the sovereign state of AZ?" Pearce wants the power to nullify federal laws in Arizona. Read the bill here http://http://www.azleg.gov//FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/50leg/1r/bills/sb1433p.htm&Session_ID=102 (broken link)

The guy is an absolute delusional moron and an embarrassment.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:17 PM

78,647 posts, read 60,839,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It's obvious from their rhetoric and policies that Conservatives don't care about poor or middle class americans.
Sales taxes are more regressive on the people than anything....look what happened in Chicago a known bastion of Republicans.

" + artTitle.replace("-","") + " - " + "Chicago Flame" + " - " + "News" + "

Old 03-25-2011, 02:38 PM

22,217 posts, read 19,516,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
For all the (uninformed) people on this thread who apparently do not live or pay taxes in AZ:

There are 5 state income tax brackets in AZ.

Arizona (AZ) Income Tax Rates and Tax Brackets 2010/2011

Right now, people who make more than 150,000/yr pay 5 percent. That is the top bracket. The lowest bracket is 3 percent.

The legislature is considering instituting a flat rate of 2.08 percent. That means that people in the lowest bracket will get a whooping 0.92 tax cut and the top bracket will get a 2.92 tax cut.

The kicker is that they are going to eliminate a lot of deductions, including the standard deduction. They claim that the new bill is "revenue neutral". I'm having a hard time believing that one.

http:///www.sonorannews.com/archives/2011/110323/frontpage-AZtax.html (broken link)

Given the financial situation of the state, I think it is going to be a "stealth" tax increase. I believe it is an ideological/political gimmick. Time will tell.
Its actually 2.13%, and the current rage is 2.59% to 4.54% (those figures were rounded). As far as it being "revenue neutral" it could be, as it may not have much impact on the budget itself, but that is because it will be increasing taxes on the poor and middle class in order to give the wealthy a tax cut.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:50 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,473,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
They don't care. They are only concerned about the %.

Boy do i understand that! but to be honest, no a lot of people do not get it believe me i know. they refuse to accept this as fact.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:47 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,742,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
and because of hussein obama's spending EVERYTHING is going up, screwing the middle class and the poor. (his sheeple overlook that fact)
Benito Bush put a huge hole in the boat, Obama is just bailing with a leaky bucket.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:06 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,453,590 times
Teddy Roosevelt is spinning in his grave. I'm so sad for the direction this country is moving. We'll be a third-world economy in less than a generation, and the plebes will be cheering it on.
"The absence of effective State, and, especially, national, restraint upon unfair money-getting has tended to create a small class of enormously wealthy and economically powerful men, whose chief object is to hold and increase their power. . . We grudge no man a fortune which represents his own power and sagacity, when exercised with entire regard to the welfare of his fellows. . . We grudge no man a fortune in civil life if it is honorably obtained and well used. It is not even enough that it should have been gained without doing damage to the community. We should permit it to be gained only so long as the gaining represents benefit to the community. This, I know, implies a policy of a far more active governmental interference with social and economic conditions in this country than we have yet had, but I think we have got to face the fact that such an increase in governmental control is now necessary.

"No man should receive a dollar unless that dollar has been fairly earned. Every dollar received should represent a dollar’s worth of service rendered-not gambling in stocks, but service rendered. The really big fortune, the swollen fortune, by the mere fact of its size, acquires qualities which differentiate it in kind as well as in degree from what is possessed by men of relatively small means. Therefore, I believe in a graduated income tax on big fortunes, and in another tax which is far more easily collected and far more effective-a graduated inheritance tax on big fortunes, properly safeguarded against evasion, and increasing rapidly in amount with the size of the estate."

-- Theodore Roosevelt, The New Nationalism, 1910
Teddy Roosevelt (Republican) understood this even as far back as 100 years ago! And 100 years later we still aren't paying heed to his presciently wise words of warning. And our country's economy is suffering for it. The wealthy have been stealing from the working class for decades so they can use their wealth to wield power to control government to do their bidding and become even wealthier. All at the expense and on the backs of the people who actually do the work that lines their pockets with gold.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:03 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,742,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Teddy Roosevelt is spinning in his grave. I'm so sad for the direction this country is moving. We'll be a third-world economy in less than a generation, and the plebes will be cheering it on.
"The absence of effective State, and, especially, national, restraint upon unfair money-getting has tended to create a small class of enormously wealthy and economically powerful men, whose chief object is to hold and increase their power. . . We grudge no man a fortune which represents his own power and sagacity, when exercised with entire regard to the welfare of his fellows. . . We grudge no man a fortune in civil life if it is honorably obtained and well used. It is not even enough that it should have been gained without doing damage to the community. We should permit it to be gained only so long as the gaining represents benefit to the community. This, I know, implies a policy of a far more active governmental interference with social and economic conditions in this country than we have yet had, but I think we have got to face the fact that such an increase in governmental control is now necessary.

"No man should receive a dollar unless that dollar has been fairly earned. Every dollar received should represent a dollar’s worth of service rendered-not gambling in stocks, but service rendered. The really big fortune, the swollen fortune, by the mere fact of its size, acquires qualities which differentiate it in kind as well as in degree from what is possessed by men of relatively small means. Therefore, I believe in a graduated income tax on big fortunes, and in another tax which is far more easily collected and far more effective-a graduated inheritance tax on big fortunes, properly safeguarded against evasion, and increasing rapidly in amount with the size of the estate."

-- Theodore Roosevelt, The New Nationalism, 1910
Teddy Roosevelt (Republican) understood this even as far back as 100 years ago! And 100 years later we still aren't paying heed to his presciently wise words of warning. And our country's economy is suffering for it. The wealthy have been stealing from the working class for decades so they can use their wealth to wield power to control government to do their bidding and become even wealthier. All at the expense and on the backs of the people who actually do the work that lines their pockets with gold.
That Teddy... hell of a man!

Old 03-29-2011, 07:07 PM

513 posts, read 582,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
If Arizona shifts to a one-size-fits-all income tax, it would raise taxes for 88 percent of Arizona filers while cutting them for the 12 percent with a taxable income of more than $100,000 a year, a legislative analysis shows.

Arizona flat income tax a hike for many
So in other words everyone will pay their fair share, instead of having 12% carry the other 88% on their shoulders. Isn't that what you liberals want? You always whine that everyone doesn't pay their fair share, yet when the rubber meets the road, you cry that it's unfair and regressive.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:08 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,217,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
If Arizona shifts to a one-size-fits-all income tax, it would raise taxes for 88 percent of Arizona filers while cutting them for the 12 percent with a taxable income of more than $100,000 a year, a legislative analysis shows.

Arizona flat income tax a hike for many
Ok.. maybe I'm math challenged, so lets review the story you linked to

[LEFT]Proponents say the tax - in this case, a 2.13 percent rate - is a fair way of imposing an income tax because everyone pays the same rate. Currently, Arizona has a progressive tax rate, ranging from 2.59 percent to 4.54 percent. It increases with income level

Current tax rate is 2.59-4.54%.
This is going to 2.13% across the board

Sounds to me like everyone who pays taxes is getting a rate cut, including the middle class.

How is this a screwing of the middle class?
[/LEFT]

Old 03-29-2011, 07:10 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,327,594 times
I'm sorry but I fail to see the problem in this? Why should people be penalized for working hard and earning more money? I worked incredibly hard to earn the financial success that I have. I earned several degrees and now earn a high income. Why should I pay higher taxes because I earn more money? This law is absolutely fair and I'm glad Arizona is proposing it. It's a very progressive concept. Of course among bleeding heart liberals, Arizona is just attacking the poor.

And before someone accuses me of being some right wing nut job, I am a libertarian who is very socially liberal and have voted for both Republicans and Democrats in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies