Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:26 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I saw something on my twitter stream that I could not disagree more with. It said "Abortion is not a Democrat or Republican issue, it's a moral issue".

Abortion very much is a political issue. Republicans are far more likely to be pro-life. Democats not only tend to be pro-choice, Democrat Presidents pick pro-choice Supreme Court Justices.

This might be common knowledge to many, but I am just starting to become aware than many in the pro-life community have no clue about this. I read that some anti-abortion activists voted for Obama, many didn't even realize where he stood on abortion.

I don't have strong opinions on this issue and I certainly don't want to get in a general abortion discussion/debate. My point is that if the anti- abortion community truly wants to make advances for their cause they better quit voting for Democrats.
Not defending who any one pro-life individual may choose to vote; however, some individuals have many causes they feel stronly about and thus are not single issue voters. I, an I suspect many voters, cannot find one candidate who stands firmly on every issue we would like. Therefore, we choose the candidate we feel would represent most of them the best, or; who would at least be objective instead of a staunch party-line voter.

I believe that abortion is a moral issue, just as any number of other moral issues that we see being fought out in the political theater.

If you don't address the moral issues than you can forget everything else. There is a price tag directly linked to these moral issues, not only in lives but also in budget dollars from entitlement payments to wars.
YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 01:30 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I don't especially care about abortion myself. But as a conservative I want as many votes as possible to go to conservative candidates. I consider it a waste when someone who is deeply anti-abortion votes for liberals like Obama who is not only pro-choice but even favors late term abortions.

no one not even obama "favors" late term abortions. we acknowledge the legit reasons why there is a need for them and will not keep a woman from a medical procedure she needs. many pro lifers are in denial to the fact that late term abortions are not for funzies.

abortion is political because it is our civil right to have access to legal, safe abortions. when the anti choicers stop trying to pass laws to limit and outlaw it. it will always come down to "dems v rep" as one is for and one is against.

the issue is either important enough to you or not to sway your vote.

I could never give my vote to anyone that did not support a woman's right to choice

Old 03-27-2011, 01:38 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
no one not even obama "favors" late term abortions. ..........
False!

Barack Obama on Abortion
Quote:
1997: opposed bill preventing partial-birth abortion

In 1997, Obama voted in the Illinois Senate against SB 230, a bill designed to prevent partial-birth abortions....................

Obama has consistently refused to support legislation that would define an infant who survives a late-term induced-labor abortion as a human being with the right to live. He insists that no restriction must ever be placed on the right of a mother to decide to abort her child.

On March 30, 2001, Obama was the only Illinois senator who rose to speak against a bill that would have protected babies who survived late term labor-induced abortion. Obama rose to object that if the bill passed, and a nine-month-old fetus survived a late-term labor-induced abortion was deemed to be a person who had a right to live, then the law would "forbid abortions to take place." Obama further explained the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment does not allow somebody to kill a child, so if the law deemed a child who survived a late-term labor-induced abortion had a right to live, "then this would be an anti-abortion statute."

Old 03-27-2011, 01:47 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,607 times
Barack Obama on Abortion
Opposed legislation protecting born-alive failed abortions

Obama has consistently refused to support legislation that would define an infant who survives a late-term induced-labor abortion as a human being with the right to live. He insists that no restriction must ever be placed on the right of a mother to decide to abort her child.

On March 30, 2001, Obama was the only Illinois senator who rose to speak against a bill that would have protected babies who survived late term labor-induced abortion. Obama rose to object that if the bill passed, and a nine-month-old fetus survived a late-term labor-induced abortion was deemed to be a person who had a right to live, then the law would "forbid abortions to take place." Obama further explained the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment does not allow somebody to kill a child, so if the law deemed a child who survived a late-term labor-induced abortion had a right to live, "then this would be an anti-abortion statute." Source: Obama Nation, by Jerome Corsi, p.238 Aug 1, 2008

This bothers many people, pro life voters talked about it often.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:48 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Aren't such babies zombies anyway? How can such a fetus survive in a sustainable way?
Late abortions indeed are a horrible thing, which involves destroying the brain of the fetus and other nasty procedures.
I see only one justification for such an abortion, namely when the mother's life is at great risk.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:59 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Most of the people that vote are uninformed about the issues and the candidates, sadly. I always check how they stand on abortion because I believe murder is wrong. I vote the issues not the parties.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:02 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Most of the people that vote are uninformed about the issues and the candidates, sadly. I always check how they stand on abortion because I believe murder is wrong. I vote the issues not the parties.
Pro-choice people also believe murder is wrong.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:36 PM

419 posts, read 868,799 times
Imagine if all these pro-lifers started focusing on needy and abused children instead of the unborn. What a positive difference that would make in the world!

Old 03-27-2011, 05:04 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
FALSE!

Wash. Times editorial cropped Obama quote to falsely claim he argued against protecting "babies who survive botched late-term abortions" | Media Matters for America

Quote:
A Washington Times editorial falsely claimed that Sen. Barack Obama "argu[ed] cold-bloodedly on the Illinois Senate floor that babies who survive botched late-term abortions should not be considered 'persons' because this would be tantamount to admitting 'that they are persons that are entitled to the kinds of protections that would be provided to a -- a child, a 9-month old -- child that was delivered to term.' " In fact, he was not discussing "late-term abortions" in the remarks the editorial highlighted; Obama was asserting that the bill in question, which was not limited to late-term abortions, would "essentially bar abortions."

Old 03-27-2011, 05:18 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If there were no "tax dollars" associated with abortion..just the legal right to have it then there would be no hype or any of these debates. It would disappear into the shadows, used by those that need or want it.
This is just false. Anti-choice people are opposed to abortion rights and the tax issue has nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies