Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 04:14 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,547,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Long story short: I took the FDNY exam a little over four years ago. I scored very much in range to be hired. One class went through when the list was established. The economy took a dive and hiring stopped for a bit. When the city decided the time was right to hire at least a couple more classes, an extreme radical federal "judge" ruled that our test was discriminatory simply due to "disparate impact". Neither the judge, nor the dept of justice, or the African American Fraternal organization (the latter two in conjunction brought the case against the city) could find one single question on the test that was deemed discriminatory. The simple fact that not enough blacks and latinos (no other races count according the suit; yes I'm serious) passed high enough to their liking, was enough for the list to be tossed. The ONLY way the city could hire off the list was if racial quotas were used the judge decided. The city refused, and has since refused.

Now mind you, the city has bent over backwards like you wouldn't believe in order to recruit absolutely nobody except these two racial groups. Application fee waivers were granted, reminder calls about the test, wake up calls, and door to door van rides on test day. That is pretty solid if you ask me.

So anyway, here I (and many others) am who have just reached or well passed the age of 29; the cut-off for when you can apply. Now unless we get the city to grant an age extension, which we are actually making some headway with, we will be SOL to apply for the new exam because of this insulting policy. Yes I said insulting and I mean it. And I can tell you that plenty of the black candidates who had their dreams shat on by this judge feel this way. Many of them are fighting for this age extension right along with me. These are dedicated and intelligent guys (and girl) who want nothing out of life aside from getting on the job just like anyone else has.

So that's basically it. I tried to break it down as well as I could without rambling. And I would have posted some links, but my phone is getting drained of the battery. I'll post some later.

Oh and to the latino fraternal organization's credit: The president of the org. has publicly stated that they want nothing to do with any lawsuits or racial quotas. The extent of anything he wants is more recruiting. Stand up guy IHMO.
Well I guess life just isn't fair.

Long story short: Several years ago I (Black woman, professional) was looking for house/apartment to rent in an upscale neighborhood. Driving to a friend's house after work, I saw a sign on the lawn that said "House for Rent". I parked my car (a Mercedes) to write down the number and while taking down the number a couple came out of the house. I politely asked the couple if they were the owners. They replied that yes they were the owners but the house was already rented. Thanked them for their time, hopped back into my car and drove away. After I drove away, my gut told me that they were lying, but oh well.

When I arrived at my friend's (who happend to be White), a few blocks away, I told her what happened and my gut feelings about it. We decided to go back to see if my gut feelings were correct. She drove her car and followed behind a few minutes behind. She gets to the house for rent, the sign is still in the front yard, the couple is still at the house. So my friend inquires about the house for a "friend" and the couple lets her know that YES IT IS STILL AVAILABLE. She tells them that's great and her "friend" will be here in a minute. And when I walked back up to the house where my friend was chatting with the couple. When they say me they looked as if they had seen a ghost. Then came the backpeddling on what they had told me previously because what they had done was illegal.

I was denied because my skin color. Life isn't fair sometimes. Move on.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:15 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,908,346 times
I took Affirmative Action for the mindless government racism that it was and moved on with my life ..

Old 03-27-2011, 04:20 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,610,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
The OP stated that he took the test 4 years ago.
And he missed the first cut. So no, he was not qualified enough to make it the first time. He blames missing the first cut on minorities, family of deceased fire fighters, and vets (but supports the vets getting in first). Never does he own individual responsibility for not doing better to actually make the first cut.

Had he made the first cut this thread would have never been made.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:21 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,644,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
We do not know what the others scored (including the minorities). Obviously he did not make the first cut/list. He should have studied more and been on the first list. 2nd place is first loser.
After reading your post, I think we all know who the first loser is.............

Old 03-27-2011, 04:30 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,766,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

Long story short: Several years ago I (Black woman, professional) was looking for house/apartment to rent in an upscale neighborhood. Driving to a friend's house after work, I saw a sign on the lawn that said "House for Rent". I parked my car (a Mercedes) to write down the number and while taking down the number a couple came out of the house. I politely asked the couple if they were the owners. They replied that yes they were the owners but the house was already rented. Thanked them for their time, hopped back into my car and drove away. After I drove away, my gut told me that they were lying, but oh well.

When I arrived at my friend's (who happend to be White), a few blocks away, I told her what happened and my gut feelings about it. We decided to go back to see if my gut feelings were correct. She drove her car and followed behind a few minutes behind. She gets to the house for rent, the sign is still in the front yard, the couple is still at the house. So my friend inquires about the house for a "friend" and the couple lets her know that YES IT IS STILL AVAILABLE. She tells them that's great and her "friend" will be here in a minute. And when I walked back up to the house where my friend was chatting with the couple. When they say me they looked as if they had seen a ghost. Then came the backpeddling on what they had told me previously because what they had done was illegal.

And like in those romantic comedies you ended up being best friends and married their son, right?

It is really a difficult subject. I must confess that sometimes I just don't like someone's face (no matter which color) and would thus not rent my apartment or house to them for that reason alone. And I feel like I want to reserve the right to my subjective judgement. Renting is different from selling in this respect, obviously, as the owner continues to be linked to their property.
On the other hand I can understand affirmative action, trying to make sure minorities find the accommodation they want and need. In your case it was obviously justified.
No easy answers there...

Old 03-27-2011, 04:31 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,899,078 times
OP I assume you are white. If so, do what I do: Just check off hispanic. After 7 months of not finding a job (or INTERVIEWS), I started to say I was hispanic .. 2 interviews, 1 offer ... all in 2 weeks.

I wonder if the PC crowd would say I am being dishonest in taking a job from someone who is actually hispanic.. lol

AA is such a joke.
What if a fire department was 100% white. All applicants who were white were much more qualified than everyone else who applied. This would be some kind of racism, right? Give jobs to people because they are of color, that's not racism right?

Some of you DO realize that focusing on someone's race -- positive or negative -- is still some kind of racism, right?

If I didn't want to be someone's friend simply because they are black, I would be considered racist.
If I INTENTIONALLY made friends with someone because they were black, I would be "diverse" or "cultured.

We need to pass the "Color Blind ACT of 2011", which abolishes AA and allows all us to look at each other as people and not by elasticities. We'll never live in a society free of racial tension until we get rid of special treatment for all minorities... be it AA, grants for college (BASED on being whatever they are), grants for first time homeowners (BASED on being whatever they are..).. etc

-sigh-

Old 03-27-2011, 04:56 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,762,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You poor baby.

That's the best you could come up with ???????

Old 03-27-2011, 04:56 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,220,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

That's freakin terrible. And I am by no means in favor of what these people did. I think it's despicable. And yes I know life isn't fair.

That said, you're situation really has no bearing on what I am talking about. I'm talking about a mass hiring of people of all colors that are being irrationally held in limbo with very different circumstances than what you spoke of. It's quite a different situation. Thanks for explaining to me that racism exists with some people though.

And no, WE won't just "move on". This judge and these race-baiters need to understand how many people they have affected.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
And he missed the first cut. So no, he was not qualified enough to make it the first time. He blames missing the first cut on minorities, family of deceased fire fighters, and vets (but supports the vets getting in first). Never does he own individual responsibility for not doing better to actually make the first cut.

Had he made the first cut this thread would have never been made.
Yeah, because I said I blamed vets and deceased family members

Because I said I blamed anyone for not getting in the first class

Until either of you remotely begin to understand what you're talking about, it seems useless to try and converse with you.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:01 PM

I've gotta go make dinner and hang with the lady instead of cruise the internet. I'll be back later. I'll leave you with this video that a few members from our group made. Soak it in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IzJGgNrpJ_E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies