Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 12:01 PM

521 posts, read 860,206 times

Advertisements

In the times we live in I find it hard to believe we still follow this considering how it even looks to hire somebody less capable of doing the job just because of the color of their skin. That alone screams racism.

I ask this because I believe that, in fact, with our melting pot society, true caucasian individuals and not those of mixed ethnicities or different races are, if not now, quickly becoming the minority in this (USA) country.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 12:03 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Suppose everyone agreed with that proposition. Can you imagine what kind of teeth-pulling would be necessary to put an end to it?

Old 09-02-2011, 12:36 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,892 times
Given that AA has mostly helped white women, and has not fixed the issue of discrimination against minorities in hiring, I agree. We need to think of better solutions than just claiming "we treat everyone equally".

Old 09-02-2011, 01:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
We have the laws on the books to battle descrimination. The problem is monitoring and/or enforcing the laws, which leads to things like "quotas" which everyone denies is the goal but is the only real way to prove anything. I don't have a solution but what we are doing now isn't working big time.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:47 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't have a solution but what we are doing now isn't working big time.
I agree, but IMO this will be a generational change, and as long as race-mongers like Sharpton are telling black Americans they're victims, there won't be any change.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:56 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
In the times we live in I find it hard to believe we still follow this considering how it even looks to hire somebody less capable of doing the job just because of the color of their skin. That alone screams racism.

I ask this because I believe that, in fact, with our melting pot society, true caucasian individuals and not those of mixed ethnicities or different races are, if not now, quickly becoming the minority in this (USA) country.

What are your thoughts?
Affirmative Action was needed but should've been tapered off several decades ago. The gap in the field should be solved by focusing on the programs that have impact on children's lives. Affirmative action is the result of everyone working on the wrong side of the system.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:13 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,839 times
YES, it is way past time to end it.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:17 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
Should have never been implemented in the first place and should be replaced by a program called 'Finish High School, Dumbass'.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:21 PM

589 posts, read 756,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Given that AA has mostly helped white women, and has not fixed the issue of discrimination against minorities in hiring, I agree. We need to think of better solutions than just claiming "we treat everyone equally".

Can you show proof that "minorities" face discrimination in hiring in recent times [from 2000 to today] ? You are just pulling that assumption out of thin air without anything to back it up.

Also, what says that a "minority" owned business cannot discriminate the majority in terms of hiring practices ? I would find it hard to believe that a [successful] black owned business with a all-black staff never had a white person apply if it were located in a major city. But they do exist. Wouldn't a non-black person be a minority in that situation if he applied for a job at such a establishment. Of course he would be.

Bottom line is, Discrimination, just like racism is far more complex than the simple "minority" vs White people perspective that the Media likes to portray it as. Hispanics, blacks, Muslims, Asians, Jews are all equally likely to discriminate each other as a white person is. So Affirmative action is meaningless today, especially since the current majority is well on its way to becoming just another minority.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:27 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Time to End Affirmative Action?

Yes definitely! It should have ended years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies