Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 05:02 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Long story short: I took the FDNY exam a little over four years ago. I scored very much in range to be hired. One class went through when the list was established. The economy took a dive and hiring stopped for a bit. When the city decided the time was right to hire at least a couple more classes, an extreme radical federal "judge" ruled that our test was discriminatory simply due to "disparate impact". Neither the judge, nor the dept of justice, or the African American Fraternal organization (the latter two in conjunction brought the case against the city) could find one single question on the test that was deemed discriminatory. The simple fact that not enough blacks and latinos (no other races count according the suit; yes I'm serious) passed high enough to their liking, was enough for the list to be tossed. The ONLY way the city could hire off the list was if racial quotas were used the judge decided. The city refused, and has since refused.

Now mind you, the city has bent over backwards like you wouldn't believe in order to recruit absolutely nobody except these two racial groups. Application fee waivers were granted, reminder calls about the test, wake up calls, and door to door van rides on test day. That is pretty solid if you ask me.

So anyway, here I (and many others) am who have just reached or well passed the age of 29; the cut-off for when you can apply. Now unless we get the city to grant an age extension, which we are actually making some headway with, we will be SOL to apply for the new exam because of this insulting policy. Yes I said insulting and I mean it. And I can tell you that plenty of the black candidates who had their dreams shat on by this judge feel this way. Many of them are fighting for this age extension right along with me. These are dedicated and intelligent guys (and girl) who want nothing out of life aside from getting on the job just like anyone else has.

So that's basically it. I tried to break it down as well as I could without rambling. And I would have posted some links, but my phone is getting drained of the battery. I'll post some later.

Oh and to the latino fraternal organization's credit: The president of the org. has publicly stated that they want nothing to do with any lawsuits or racial quotas. The extent of anything he wants is more recruiting. Stand up guy IHMO.
If that's all it takes to kill your dream then are you sure that's what you really want?

Old 03-27-2011, 05:06 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,313 times
Now mind you, the city has bent over backwards like you wouldn't believe in order to recruit absolutely nobody except these two racial groups. Application fee waivers were granted, reminder calls about the test, wake up calls, and door to door van rides on test day. That is pretty solid if you ask me.

Links to your assertion???

Old 03-27-2011, 05:09 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,388 times
Quote:
And no, WE won't just "move on". This judge and these race-baiters need to understand how many people they have affected.
What was the name of your case? If we are going to see how they've affected you, we need to see the judge's opinion and exactly why it's terrible.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:12 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
this is just another legislative judge. the judge should be removed from the bench and have his butt sued off. maybe when judges start getting removed from the bench for not doing their jobs, the USA can stop having legislative judges.
One thing you should keep in mind is that the New York Fire Department has historically had issues with racial discrimination especially as it has applied to hiring and promoting Black Americans and Latino Americans. Had they address those issues earlier in all probability the New York Fire Department would not be under court under today.

FDNY's Black Firefighter Problem

Quote:
There’s no question that there is something very wrong with how the FDNY adds new employees. For nearly 40 years, various courts have issued injunctions to correct the miserable record of non-white hiring. New York’s fire department may, in fact, be the whitest large institution run by a major city in the United States. Your chance of becoming a firefighter in New York if you aren’t white, Irish, or Italian, and come from a family of firefighters has traditionally been very slim.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:25 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
That's freakin terrible. And I am by no means in favor of what these people did. I think it's despicable. And yes I know life isn't fair.

That said, you're situation really has no bearing on what I am talking about. I'm talking about a mass hiring of people of all colors that are being irrationally held in limbo with very different circumstances than what you spoke of. It's quite a different situation. Thanks for explaining to me that racism exists with some people though.

And no, WE won't just "move on". This judge and these race-baiters need to understand how many people they have affected.
Actually, I understand where your frustration is coming from but I am here to tell you that the ONE incident that you experienced happens numerous times a year (in large and small ways; in subtle and overt ways) to me and most other Black Americans.

Let it go. Move on.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:25 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Quote:
Yeah, because I said I blamed vets and deceased family members

Because I said I blamed anyone for not getting in the first class

Until either of you remotely begin to understand what you're talking about, it seems useless to try and converse with you.
Your intent on telling everyone you got screwed but you didn't. Had you been in the top 99% and did not get the job I would agree with you. But you were not and that makes you not the best qualified for the job. Sure, you met the requirements but that does not make you the best qualified. Tell me your scored in the top 99% and then we have a real issue with Affirmative Action. Your mad because you are a 2nd tier candidate and expected to go in with the 2nd wave. Things obviously changed because a judge made a ruling. Had you scored top 99% you would be in, right? And this would be a non issue.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:35 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Actually, I understand where your frustration is coming from but I am here to tell you that the ONE incident that you experienced happens numerous times a year (in large and small ways; in subtle and overt ways) to me and most other Black Americans.

Let it go. Move on.

Oh yeah....right....except the ones with the sub par test scores who are applying to the FDNY, Dayton PD, or just about any college in the country.

I just love the replies from the resident Black posters who have continually claimed that AA does not discriminate against other races. Now this....go figure.

Quote:
Let it go. Move on.
If only you and many others could take your own advice

Old 03-27-2011, 06:07 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
If that's all it takes to kill your dream then are you sure that's what you really want?

If you noticed in the title, it said "all BUT killed.."

And you may have also missed the part where I (we) won't be able to take a new test because of age cut-off.

Watch the vid I posted.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post

Links to your assertion???

Not an assertion. I physically saw an official FDNY van show up at the testing site carrying a van full of certain people with a recruiter leading them into the building. The African American friends that I have made throughout this process told me about everything else I stated. There is no link, because it is unspoken.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Your intent on telling everyone you got screwed but you didn't. Had you been in the top 99% and did not get the job I would agree with you. But you were not and that makes you not the best qualified for the job. Sure, you met the requirements but that does not make you the best qualified. Tell me your scored in the top 99% and then we have a real issue with Affirmative Action. Your mad because you are a 2nd tier candidate and expected to go in with the 2nd wave. Things obviously changed because a judge made a ruling. Had you scored top 99% you would be in, right? And this would be a non issue.

You're beyond reaching, friend...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies