Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:08 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
peruse to your contentment..
Stormfront > News > Politics & Continuing Crises > Tea Parties

Tea Parties - Stormfront
Can you not read my questions? Show me the KKK recruiting people at a Tea Party event. Show me anyone from the KKK speaking at a Tea Party event. I don't really care what some crazy website like Stormfront does or says, I care about facts. I wouldn't trust a link to a crazy site like Democratic Underground or the Daily Kos, why should I browse Stormfront for info?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:09 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I doubt that a 10 to 15% flat tax rate would be sufficient, could be wrong though.

Bush's and Reagans problem was that they did this while increasing spending. Remember, Ronney increased taxes after his initial lowering.

JFK was so long ago, and the world was such a different place that I don't think its relevant to todays budget debates.
correct, the tax cuts WITH an increase in spending is just stupid...and the spending in the last 3 years (bush AND obama ) is really studpid......having 2.1 trillion comming in yet spending 3.7 trillion is beyond stupid..its criminal

but all of those tax cuts (to include JFK (it wasnt really that long ago)) raise the INCOME (revenue) coming into the country

as far as the flat tax , I have heard so many numbers ranging from a low of 10% to a high of 35%...I believe with zero loopholes it could easily be in the 10-15 range...

Old 03-28-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I doubt that a 10 to 15% flat tax rate would be sufficient, could be wrong though.

Bush's and Reagans problem was that they did this while increasing spending. Remember, Ronney increased taxes after his initial lowering.

JFK was so long ago, and the world was such a different place that I don't think its relevant to todays budget debates.
If 15% of every American's income can't cover our costs we're spending too much money, period.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
correct, the tax cuts WITH an increase in spending is just stupid...and the spending in the last 3 years (bush AND obama ) is really studpid......having 2.1 trillion comming in yet spending 3.7 trillion is beyond stupid..its criminal

but all of those tax cuts (to include JFK (it wasnt really that long ago)) raise the INCOME (revenue) coming into the country

as far as the flat tax , I have heard so many numbers ranging from a low of 10% to a high of 35%...I believe with zero loopholes it could easily be in the 10-15 range...
I have to say that I don't think the Obama administration would have had reason to spend that much money without the blunder of the Bush years. And while it still continues, its like saying you want to give up pulling your car out of a ditch, instead of spending more to keep trying. We can't just give up on the economy.

I think there were better ways to save the economy, rather than bail outs and other things that were done, but all of that was done because of the increase in spending while cutting taxes. Especially on the two wars.

I think that 1960's America was radically different than today. We were still the majority producer of all goods in the world, and our economy was still growing. Not to mention the cold war, which I understand the military spending for.

As far as the flat tax, I feel that 35% would be much more realistic. We'd have to give each and every person a 20,000 dollar tax free income to even get it to the floor of the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
If 15% of every American's income can't cover our costs we're spending too much money, period.
I think that you are right, but where would you like to cut? 70% of Americans support social security in its current form, same thing with medicare and unemployment. That really only leaves defense, and Republicans haven't had the stomach to mention real cuts in defense spending since Reagan was in office. We have a military that costs 4 times what the entire rest of the world combined spends. Thats just stupid. Putting boots on the ground is to expensive. I think we should combat terror with small specialized groups like the rangers, with air strikes and no fly zones like we are doing in Libya to force dictators to quit killing their own people. I'm not against America being a world leader, but putting 200,000 troops on the ground for 10+ years is just stupid when there is no vital strategic interest to the country. Iraq may have oil, but whoever is in control there is still going to sell oil. They have nothing else to sale.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:34 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
As far as the flat tax, I feel that 35% would be much more realistic. We'd have to give each and every person a 20,000 dollar tax free income to even get it to the floor of the house.

35% is very high

I make 60k...are you saying 20k FEDERALLY on top of the 4k to the state..on top of the 12k to my local property tax is more realistic??? all on top of the 9% state/county sales tax I already pay. on top of the 18c/gallon federally and 51c/gallon on gas??? on top of the ss/medicare tax???

10-15% is more than enough, especially with zero loopholes...

Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
BINGO.

If Democrats elected a person who was socially liberal but fiscally conservative (and I mean for real, not just in talking points) that person would gain a huge number of the Tea Party voters that I know including myself.
You've just described a libertarian
And Ron Paul, was our libertarian candidate in

I even switched to the Republican
party in 2008 so I could vote for Paul in the primary.

The biggest draw to Paul in 2008 was his
anti nation building, anti militarism of US.
Paul, like us libertarians, also wants to end the "war on drugs" - it isn't working.

Now, I've switched back to the Libertarian
Party, but if Paul would run in 2012 as a Republican, I'd switch back again.

This time if he won -
it could be pay back for all the grief I have
had to endure by being putting on Republican
mailing lists
and getting postcards from Sarah Palin

And yes the tea party of 2008 was hijacked -
everyone knows it.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:43 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
35% is very high

I make 60k...are you saying 20k FEDERALLY on top of the 4k to the state..on top of the 12k to my local property tax is more realistic??? all on top of the 9% state/county sales tax I already pay. on top of the 18c/gallon federally and 51c/gallon on gas??? on top of the ss/medicare tax???

10-15% is more than enough, especially with zero loopholes...
If you're paying 20,000 to federal out of 60,000, then you're around 33% already.

One added benefit of keeping taxes at 35% would be that all other federal taxes could end. Gas taxes, utility taxes, etc could all be cut. So while you may be paying more to Uncle Sam once a year, the other stuff that you'd see instant rebates on would make up for the added 5%.

You'll continue to pay local and state taxes, thats just reality.

And SS, medicare I am considering part of the flat tax also. I'm not saying that we continue with all federal taxes and then increase income tax to 35%. The goal of the flat tax would be to simplify the system. We spend 1 trillion dollars annually on tax enforcement. With a flat tax we could considerably lower that.

And one other great benefit, we'd pay the national debt down faster. As the national debt is lowered, the dollar increases in value on the world market. This allows you and me to buy more with the few dollars we have. So instead of paying 4 dollars a gallon for gas, we'd be paying 1.50 a gallon because all federal taxes were gone from that, and the dollar would increase in value, which would lower the cost of oil per barrel, which lowers gas at the pumps price.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I think that you are right, but where would you like to cut?
Everywhere.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Did you know that I've been hearing the same tired political rhetoric spouted by Tea Partiers my entire life (I'm 34), and I think it's lame? Did you know that I don't think Ronald Reagan was the second coming of Jesus Christ, and I don't think that there is a liberal conspiracy against the United States, and I don't think that all government is evil?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
exactly

I would vote for Collin Powell in a heatbeat...I worked with him(for him, I retired in 2005 as a First Sergeant)) in the military
Powell could have opened his mouth before the
Iraq War instead of selling the American people
a bill of goods. I have no respect for him, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies