Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:47 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times

Advertisements

You know, I wonder if his supporters actually HEAR his words anymore, or if it's just a rote response, having to support him at all costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 06:44 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,370,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
That speech the other night wasn't supposed to change any minds, it was supposed to update the American public on the conditions of our troop deployment, reiterate the reason we took part in the coalition action, and how we would be moving forward.

It wasn't a campaign speech.

I wonder why you think he thought it was.

Because when he's not community organizing, he's campaigning.

How long was his last campaign?

2 years +

Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
It wasn't a campaign speech.

I wonder why you think he thought it was.

Because it sounded like one. It was vague, non informative, and had long sound bites like this, to describe why the United States needed to intervene militarily against Libya:

"To brush aside America's responsibility as a leader and - more profoundly - our responsibilities to our fellow human beings under such circumstances would have been a betrayal of who we are. Some nations may be able to turn a blind eye to atrocities in other countries. The United States of America is different"

"And as I have said before, our strength abroad is anchored in our strength at home. That must always be our North Star - the ability of our people to reach their potential, to make wise choices with our resources, to enlarge the prosperity that serves as a wellspring of our power, and to live the values that we hold so dear."

"We have done so because we know that our own future is safer and brighter if more of mankind can live with the bright light of freedom and dignity."

YouTube - Obama On Libya Sounds Like Bush Declaring War In Iraq

Oh, the poetic justice

Old 03-30-2011, 08:56 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Who knew that Obama had such favorability among likely Repub voters? I would have thought a good bit less. I guess they are tiring of the TParty also.
bob, those people don't call only Republicans. In fact, they never ask people which way they lean when they call them. Now that kind of thing would certainly happen if Media Matters did a poll, but this is not MM.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:00 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Because it sounded like one. It was vague, non informative, and had long sound bites like this, to describe why the United States needed to intervene militarily against Libya:

"To brush aside America's responsibility as a leader and - more profoundly - our responsibilities to our fellow human beings under such circumstances would have been a betrayal of who we are. Some nations may be able to turn a blind eye to atrocities in other countries. The United States of America is different"

"And as I have said before, our strength abroad is anchored in our strength at home. That must always be our North Star - the ability of our people to reach their potential, to make wise choices with our resources, to enlarge the prosperity that serves as a wellspring of our power, and to live the values that we hold so dear."

"We have done so because we know that our own future is safer and brighter if more of mankind can live with the bright light of freedom and dignity."

YouTube - Obama On Libya Sounds Like Bush Declaring War In Iraq

Oh, the poetic justice
Most of his supporters can't see that he promised weapons a couple of weeks ago before the UN gave him permission to get involved. Just think, he didn't ask permission from Congress but jumped right in when the UN said to get in there and support the UK, France, and Germany.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:21 PM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Not nearly as pathetic as the "Hate Obama at all costs" group.

Would that be opposed to the "Love him no matter what he does or how many times he lies to you Club"?

Old 03-31-2011, 01:40 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You know, I wonder if his supporters actually HEAR his words anymore, or if it's just a rote response, having to support him at all costs.
I'm reminded of the novel "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. The sheep chanting their own rote, "Four legs good, two legs ba-a-a-d." In 2008, similar "sheeple" chanting "Hope and Change...Hope and Change...Hope and Change".

At the end of the book, the sheep changed the chant to "Four legs good, two legs better", and were so disillusioned they didn't even notice. Whatever the "Hope and Change" rote is going to evolve into in 2012, you can bet the sheeple will just go on bleeting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies