Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:20 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
Another failure is spent fuel rod storage. Basically it is located on 4th floor and because of cracks everywhere it constantly loose water. When it loose water it overheats, catch fire and radioactive smoke goes into atmosphere.
I don’t want to use word “stupid”.. but combination “4th floor, water, earthquake” asks for the 1-st floor.
Also I would like to add word “greedy”. Those spend fuel rods should be recycled. Apparently somebody saved money on recycling, waiting.. for what? For possibility to cheaply sell it or dump it or something, I don’t know. Other “money saving thing” is absence of separate storage facility. Why to store it in the same nuclear plant? It should be stored in separate building!
My suggestion is to make whoever saved money on it go and remove those spent rods from there. They can use fancy Japanese robots, or use own hands, or commit hara-kiri..
Article about it: Why Fukushima’s “spent” fuel rods will continue to catch fire

Why Fukushima's "spent" fuel rods will continue to catch fire | MyFDL
What happens to Zirconium fuel rods that are constantly heated and cooled with water? They are in essence turned into Zirconium Oxide Rods that are very brittle.

Here is a demonstration from a Chief Nuclear Engineer on a Zirconium Fuel Rod minus the fuel of course.

Updates on Fukushima: | Fairewinds Associates, Inc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 12:11 AM

222 posts, read 581,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
well, it certainly was NOT the workers giving their lives.
Mexicans? Or to be specific guest workers (illegal immigrants in Japan from China)? Yes, they work almost for free and nobody cares what is going to happens with their health.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:46 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Very noble thing they are doing, but just to clarify, despite them increasing the threat level to a 7, this is no where near as bad as Chernobyl. The IAEA really needs to redesign their scale. While 7 is currently the highest, Chernobyl was equivalent to a 10 or 11.

kind of splitting hairs isn't it? oh you are going to die in 1 month vs you are going to die in 3 days... wow I can do so much more with my 27 days of skin falling off, and so forth....

DO NOT GO TO GOOGLE IMAGES AND SEARCH FOR RADIATION POISONING!

These people working at this plant are heroic. They will die a miserable death and quickly. Hopefully they will save others from the same fate so their efforts aren't in vain. Too many are placed in harms way as a few profiteers sell unsafe power to the world.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:56 AM

442 posts, read 553,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
Mexicans? Or to be specific guest workers (illegal immigrants in Japan from China)? Yes, they work almost for free and nobody cares what is going to happens with their health.
Wow, I hope you are being sarcastic.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:50 AM

222 posts, read 581,336 times
It is sarcastic, but it is true. Japanese call then "throw away workers" or "disposable workers". There is even special Japanese word for them. Mostly they are immigrants, homeless and even minors:

Quote:
According to ARD correspondent Robert Hetkämpfer the operating company of Fukushima has been sending in homeless and minors sends as "throwaway workers " in the nuclear power plant

ARD correspondent Robert Hetkämper brought up serious allegations against the operating company of the damaged nuclear power plant in Fukushima in Japan: Allegedly Tepco has been sending homeless people and migrant workers in the nuclear power plant in Fukushima for years.

"They are often homeless. There are many foreign workers, there are even minors there, to be there for years and then fired again if they have worked for a while and they have been exposed to a fair amount of radiation. Disposable workers they have been called here in Japan. "said Hetkämper.

http://www.welt.de/vermischtes/welt...rierte-AKW.html (broken link)

Old 01-12-2012, 11:57 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Default Is there an update on these workers?

Very touching events...I certainly remember when it all went down...

But all updates seem to have ended around mid summer, as to the condition of these workers...

I'm just curious to know their current conditions...how many made it or are making it, and how many didn't...

It bugs me when stories like this suddenly end, just stop, and there's no follow through story or update...

I tried looking on the web, but again, all updates on their health status just seemed to end when the big news channels lost interest in reporting on it and the next big news item came along...

Old 01-13-2012, 05:18 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
This is really little difference than a soldier giving his life so executives at Haliburton can become millionaires. These brave workers give their lives so GE and government officials can live a good life. It is rarely the 1% asked to sacrifice and even rarer when they do so voluntarily.

What a shame we don't value the lives of all equally.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:06 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Very noble thing they are doing, but just to clarify, despite them increasing the threat level to a 7, this is no where near as bad as Chernobyl. The IAEA really needs to redesign their scale. While 7 is currently the highest, Chernobyl was equivalent to a 10 or 11.
I would disagree. The government and mainstream media is telling you this but its not true. The Fukushima experience total meltdown of 3 reactors with explosions sending radiation into the jet stream which far exceeds the release of radiation from Chernobyl. Fukushima has not even been contained yet like was done at Chernobyl where they encased the reactor with cement.

Fukushima Reactor Four Exploded Core End Of Days Time To Run 17/042011 - YouTube

Old 01-13-2012, 10:12 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Gee, thanks for the you-tube info...especially with the dispassionate scientific "end of days" in it's title. Just screams credibility.

FYI- Some of the first responders at Chernobyl died within DAYS...but one guy lived a year despite 1000REM exposure.

This link follows a discussion amongst some much more knowledgable people than us on the topic.
How painful is it to die from acute radiation poisoning? [Archive] - Physics Forums

Old 01-13-2012, 01:26 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
That's all I was looking for was a update on those workers...which I can't seem to find...

I would like to know what condition they're int 'today'...are they still alive? did they die?

Did some recover?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies