Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 02:09 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Then maybe you should use your next hundred posts to condemn him and his ilk who are by far more responsible for the killing.
I don't have that kind of energy.

I do think he's probably more scared of the Taliban than us.

It's pretty cowardly though. I put him in the same category as Pastor Asshat: willingly sacrificing the lives of others for the sake of some publicity. Karzai did this to suck up to the Taliban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I am up for anything that is legal but I don't think "tar and feathering" falls into that category.
Certainly, but what jury would convict you?

"OK Mr. TRUEGRITT, here is a $10 fine, go and sin no more, and can I buy you a drink?"

I guess you could get unlucky and pull a jury full of handlebar mustached charismatic preachers...

Old 04-06-2011, 02:14 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,505,717 times
How is he staying off the hit list? That one woman on the radio who wanted a draw Muhammad pic contest had to go into hiding.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:21 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
How is he staying off the hit list? That one woman on the radio who wanted a draw Muhammad pic contest had to go into hiding.
Can I interest anyone in my latest product? It's the "Faces of Mohammed" toilet tissue! Order now - operators are standing by!

Old 04-06-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
He's on the hit list.

But a car full of armed and angry Muslims would look pretty conspicuous in Gainesville, Florida.

There are muslims there of course, and I've met them. They are very nice and not likely to kill this...asshat.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:32 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_double_d View Post
Yes, as I and many others have said multiple times, just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you should. I have the right to mock a handicapped person that doesn't mean I should (or would) do it. We aren't being bullied into silence by the extremists, we're fighting them everyday over there under the DIRECT threat of murder. So why are civilians back in their safe homes in the States doing things to make them even more enraged making the fight escalate that much more for troops over there than it already is when said civilians don't have to deal with the DIRECT consequences of their actions like the troops do? Yes, yes, they have a right to, but you'd think they'd care enough about the consequences for the troops over there now to not do anything unnecessary like burning this book was. There was no point to it except to earn him publicity. There is a way to use your rights to get your point across without doing what the pastor did.

Also you mention the extremist Muslims, yes they are the ones we are already fighting and working on NOT allowing them to get away with this kind of stuff. The ones we already know will resort to using this as an excuse to further murder people. However, maybe as a civilian this doesn't occur to you but our job over there isn't just to get rid of the extremists, it's also to work with the civilian population who are NOT extremists over there in such a way as to bring them on our side so they do NOT become a part of the extremists' side in the future and make more enemies for us. So hopefully we won't have another incident like 9/11. By doing something as unnecessary as this pastor did, it's only making them see us as the enemy. This book means a lot to them, a lot more than people who don't believe in it can understand. They aren't extremists, they don't murder, they live ordinary lives in their villages, but this book still means the world to them. Next time said extremists come to their village in order to try and get some civilians to join them, those people who were hurt by what the pastor did may start to think these extremists have a point, esp. those who are younger and more impressionable which is exactly who they're seeking out because they know they can smooth talk them. We don't need more enemies.
I will just say that I agree with most of this statement but I just cannot figure out what you want to do to Jones who had the right to do what he did.

Where is the outcry for the real criminals that did the actual killing.

Where is the backlash against Karzai and why aren't people marching in the streets to get our troops the hell out of there.

All I hear is about Jones.

Quote:
Our relationship with Karzai has clearly been rocky. Don't you think people in the military tried to reason with him just as they tried to reason with the pastor? This isn't an easy struggle we find ourselves in and just as the pastor was in the wrong, so was Karzai.
They both exorcised their free speech rights, who did the killing?

Old 04-06-2011, 02:33 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,204,423 times
Quote:
That is why we are friends.

I do not want to be presumptuous but I do not think you have stated what you really want. I think you are like Strel and others who would like to see some punishment dolled out for perceive irresponsibility the same as you would do with a child that disobeyed, am I right?
The only "punishment" that I would like to see doled out to this man would be for him to see his "flock" (both his congregation and his countless supporters in the general population) diminish in size so that he finds himself marginalized and the tide of public opinion turned against him and that contributions to his "ministry" and purchases from his website dry up. Now that would be "justice".

However, I can still fantasize about the "tarring and feathering".

Old 04-06-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I don't have that kind of energy.

I do think he's probably more scared of the Taliban than us.

It's pretty cowardly though. I put him in the same category as Pastor Asshat: willingly sacrificing the lives of others for the sake of some publicity. Karzai did this to suck up to the Taliban.
This is a real good start...keep up the energy.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Certainly, but what jury would convict you?

"OK Mr. TRUEGRITT, here is a $10 fine, go and sin no more, and can I buy you a drink?"

I guess you could get unlucky and pull a jury full of handlebar mustached charismatic preachers...
Worse than that, a jury of evolutionists. Just joking Strel.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
He's on the hit list.

But a car full of armed and angry Muslims would look pretty conspicuous in Gainesville, Florida.

There are muslims there of course, and I've met them. They are very nice and not likely to kill this...asshat.
A little doubt there I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies