Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 12:18 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,617,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well that's all fine and dandy, but leaning Photoshopâ„¢ without extensive training in the entire Adobe Creative Suite of software and an intensive and structured program in photography, graphic arts, webdesign, and pre-press, and other occupations that are based around the software... I would consider that as money unwisely spent by the educational system.
Graphic Design Artist, CAD...may disagree with you. The average CAD operator not even degreed yet, starting pay, $22.50 an hour, part time...electrical engineer told me that in 1999.

If a person takes what they give them in high school and expands on that utilizing their resources, they will probably will not see poverty as an adult.

For me, I just have fun with the program at home. I love art work and program helps appease that creative side of me.

Business math was my last high school elective...cash management was my last job title. However, there is college that goes with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 12:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,108,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Graphic Design Artist, CAD...may disagree with you.
They might disagree with the specifics but they wouldn't disagree with the gist of my statement since a CAD designer needs Photoshopâ„¢ as one design component along with other software applications that it would be integrated into. So, if we are going to offer Photoshop in schools (which I do approve of) I would like to see it as not just an elective but as a requirement for some certification tracked vocational program.

Quote:
The average CAD operator not even degreed yet, starting pay, $22.50 an hour, part time...electrical engineer told me that in 1999.
Thank you for supporting my overall point.

Quote:
If a person takes what they give them in high school and expands on that utilizing their resources, they will probably will not see poverty as an adult.
No problem with that either.

Quote:
For me, I just have fun with the program at home. I love art work and program helps appease that creative side of me.
That's great but as a taxpayer I would hope that I would see a bigger return on my dollar (your son using that knowledge to obtain a good job) than to teach mom.(although I am glad that he did).

Quote:
Business math was my last high school elective...cash management was my last job title. However, there is college that goes with that.
Real Question: Do you believe that a college degree was necessary for your old job as a cash manager?

Old 04-09-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
They might disagree with the specifics but they wouldn't disagree with the gist of my statement since a CAD designer needs Photoshop™ as one design component along with other software applications that it would be integrated into. So, if we are going to offer Photoshop in schools (which I do approve of) I would like to see it as not just an elective but as a requirement for some certification tracked vocational program.

Thank you for supporting my overall point.

No problem with that either.

That's great but as a taxpayer I would hope that I would see a bigger return on my dollar (your son using that knowledge to obtain a good job) than to teach mom.(although I am glad that he did).

Real Question: Do you believe that a college degree was necessary for your old job as a cash manager?
No, because I was not able to get the certification because life jumped up and bit me in the buttocks. However, with the courses that I had taken shown on my resume, I was able to move forward, just not at the increase in salary...I had to climb the ladder from bottom up (which isn't a bad deal) just would have liked to have had the leverage the completion of a certificate program would have offered.

I say completion, because what the employer looks at, what a person does, how well a person does it, and did they complete, their mission?

What I am trying to say it this...public education is there and a person will get from that what they need if only they would recognize it and build on it. My sister (way back time '72) took typing in high school. She got pulled from the paint department of the store she worked at at age 20 and put into the office, because some one quit they looked at their applications of the employees they had and called her to the office with a job offer. Doesn't happen always...but it does happen. What does she do now...I don't even want to talk about, but I will say...she has done well in her life and yes I am jealous she is just built that way.

The public education does have these offerings, they always have...just the person..it is the person, who makes the choice what they will and won't go do...
then we have government aid programs that offer nothing of a plan. So people get on these and if that person has low ambition to begin with, it then becomes a millstone, not a stepping stone.

As for as my son, yes, I wish he would go on to college as he has an eye (Illustrator, it took him only an hour to do what I had been trying all day long to accomplish) for CAD. Again, though, high school education, if not for that, he couldn't help me. And yes, I would much rather see him do something else besides help mom. He worries me.

personal: we are not on assistance, all though we would qualify and our son, could draw the pell. I wonder how many CEO's drew their pell?

If a person can not get the experience (which is preferred) get the education so as to have something that can be a useful tool.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 04-09-2011 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: tenses...

Old 04-09-2011, 01:13 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,084,293 times
Is your idea of poverty and the government's definition of poverty different?

2004: "For most Americans, the word "poverty" suggests destitution: an inability to provide a family with nutritious food, clothing, and reasonable shelter. But only a small number of the 35 million persons classified as "poor" by the Census Bureau fit that description. While real material hardship certainly does occur, it is limited in scope and severity. Most of America's "poor" live in material conditions that would be judged as comfortable or well off just a few generations ago. Today, the expenditures per person of the lowest income one fifth (or quintile) of households equal those of the median American household in the early 1970s, after adjusting for inflation."

Facts about persons defined as "poor" by the Census Bureau, taken from various government reports:

Understanding Poverty in America | The Heritage Foundation

Old 04-09-2011, 01:17 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,084,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Who cares what 52% of the people think about this issue? That's not excatly the way the success of these programs should be measured.
No, but it was the impetus to ask the question here.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:17 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,944,391 times
Politicians must love poor people. They've made so many of them.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,612,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Is your idea of poverty and the government's definition of poverty different?

2004: "For most Americans, the word "poverty" suggests destitution: an inability to provide a family with nutritious food, clothing, and reasonable shelter. But only a small number of the 35 million persons classified as "poor" by the Census Bureau fit that description. While real material hardship certainly does occur, it is limited in scope and severity. Most of America's "poor" live in material conditions that would be judged as comfortable or well off just a few generations ago. Today, the expenditures per person of the lowest income one fifth (or quintile) of households equal those of the median American household in the early 1970s, after adjusting for inflation."

Facts about persons defined as "poor" by the Census Bureau, taken from various government reports:

Understanding Poverty in America | The Heritage Foundation
What an eye opener...

Classified as poor yet most own their own home, have air conditioning, a car, multiple TV's with cable and live in larger spaces then the average European with their kids eating better than middle class kids (super-nourished vs malnourished).

Wow..some classification of "American poor".

Again..what an eye opener of what our government considers "poor".

Old 04-09-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What an eye opener...

Classified as poor yet most own their own home, have air conditioning, a car, multiple TV's with cable and live in larger spaces then the average European with their kids eating better than middle class kids (super-nourished vs malnourished).

And they don't even see the thumb that is on their head.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:26 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,230,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What an eye opener...

It is a good move, the more people you can classify as poor, the more programs you can create for the poor, the more votes you know you will get.

Until the system implodes of course.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,612,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
It is a good move, the more people you can classify as poor, the more programs you can create for the poor, the more votes you know you will get.

Until the system implodes of course.
How can someone with a mortgage, car, cable and over-eating problems be labeled "poor" ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies