Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
I'm okay with this 52 60.47%
I'm not okay with this 33 38.37%
I'm mixed about this 1 1.16%
Not sure 0 0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 02:40 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times

Advertisements

Bill to Include Gay Rights Movement Info in California Textbooks Clears Hurdle - FoxNews.com

What do you think about this? Would you be okay with your children being taught about the gay rights movement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 02:54 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I think first of all, your title of your thread is inaccurate, and politically slanted. It isn't a "homosexual movement." The schools, theoretically, would include information about the civil rights of gay, lesbian, transgender, and bisexual people.

Having said that, I think it's unneccessary to have a seperate lesson just for that specific group. I think it puts too much emphasis on sexuality, and not enough emphasis on civil rights as a whole. What I -would- like, is to see it included as a *part* of an overall civil rights class.

In the state of California, this -is- an issue. Out here in New England, most people really don't care if their neighbor is gay, or if the manager of Costco is a lesbian, or Johnny has been playing with Jim, who thinks socks with lace on the cuffs are pretty and wants to look like Marilyn Monroe when he grows up. In California, for whatever reason, people actually care about this stuff.

And because they care, it's an issue. Which makes it historically relevent, which means it should have at least a mention in the history books.

Other than that, no I don't think it needs to be emphasized OR intentionally omitted. I really wish it would just be a non-issue, as it should be.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:59 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,935 times
AnonChick, I would rep you, but It won't let me. I also love the title "homosexual movement"

Old 04-06-2011, 03:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
In the state of California, this -is- an issue. Out here in New England, most people really don't care if their neighbor is gay, or if the manager of Costco is a lesbian, or Johnny has been playing with Jim, who thinks socks with lace on the cuffs are pretty and wants to look like Marilyn Monroe when he grows up. In California, for whatever reason, people actually care about this stuff.
Speaking as a native Californio I'd say it's the politicians who really care. And the drive-time talk radio guys.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:01 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
AnonChick, I would rep you, but It won't let me. I also love the title "homosexual movement"
I meant to put the word 'rights' in it. Just ignore it.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:02 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I meant to put the word 'rights' in it. Just ignore it.
Well that's much better

Old 04-06-2011, 03:57 PM

378 posts, read 576,983 times
I am guessing parents against the gay rights movement have their own ideology they wish to teach their children?
As long as neither side tries to force ideology down the other's throat.
I don't want my kids taught their ideology and they don't way their kids taught my ideology.

Gay rights supporter here.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:03 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,402 times
oh im sure to get hate about this one, but the right wing religious scares me WAYYYYYYYYYYYY more than any kind of equal rights education for any demographic does! and this coming from a southern conservative (fiscal, not social)

so i guess im with smed up above me

Old 04-06-2011, 04:17 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
I read the article and it seems fine by me. Of course Fox posts this, knowing that it will rile their viewers and keep them coming back for updates And the quotes from the "anti gay" guy seems to explain why this would be good for schools. He seems to want parents to teach their children that gays are bad, evil people, blah, blah, blah. And then sort of suggests that kindergarteners are going to be learning about gay sex. Please. You don't learn about or care about an civil rights or historical issue at that age! He's just stirring the pot and trying to scare people.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:18 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Fine by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies