Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 01:20 PM

659 posts, read 1,760,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
The homosexual community is the main group that comes to mind. Uou can't speak about homosexuality for more than a minute or two without someone saying you're intolerant... unless of course you 100% agree and openly support homosexuality and whatever agenda they might be pushing at the time.

It's been proven by vote after vote and poll after poll that huge blocks of our society doesn't approve of homosexual marriage BUT if you speak against homosexual marriage you're labeled as intolerant.

I personally have no problem with gay marriage but I'm not going to spend mt time fighting for or against it because in my opinion there are much more important things that I need to pay attention to.
Good thing you didn't use a distracting hot-button issue as your example.

Seriously though, I think you might be talking about the distinction between tolerance and acceptance... which we could start a whole other thread about.

If you go by the textbook definitions of each word, you could (theoretically) have tolerance without acceptance. Using your example to further explain my point - a Christian/religious person who tolerates homosexuality, but does not completely accept it or agree with it because they feel that it is ultimate a sin that violate's their God's law. So that person might be in favor of gay marriage legislation (tolerance), but still ultimately (privately) view homosexuality as a sin (non-acceptance).

Of course, there are many who see tolerance and acceptance as indivisible; hence my comment about starting a whole other thread just on those semantics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 01:22 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
dude, you should know by now. only conservatives can be intollerant.

we are intollerant not because of what we believe so much as because we are wrong.

Liberals cannot be intollerant even if they have people fired from their jobs for not believing correctly.

There is a simple explination. Liberals are right therefore they cannot be intollerant.

This is true because liberals are smarter and better educated than conservatives.

this video is proof that liberals are smarter than us conservatives:

YouTube - Obama Is Going To Pay For My Gas And Mortgage!!!

Watch it, your intolerance is showing.

Congratulations, you just made an example of yourself.

Ladies and Gentlemen, an object lesson.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:26 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I meant the op...

It just took on sort of a life of it's own.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:32 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
A great country should not be forced to tolerate commies, atheists, gays, peace activists, people who don't speak English, all those of other religions, etc.
Is it about time that these enemies be rounded up and put behind bars?

Old 04-07-2011, 01:41 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I have said once and I will say it again. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOLERANCE!! What you think is tolerance doesn't fly in other parts of the world! People have become so ignorantly PC today that they same to believe that what they believe is right and everyone else is wrong. Such as feminism, liberalism, and gay rights. These things don't exist in half the countries across the world!! And these people are hypocrites anyway because ask them if there should be tolerance towards pedophiles and beastiality and they don't know what to say! So I'm going to say it again, tolerance doesn't exist. ANYWHERE!! Ignorant people like to throw that word around because they have no education or knowledge on the rest of the world and their values. If your not tolerant towards EVERYTHING and EVERYONE of every lifestyle, religion, and culture, then your not tolerant PERIOD!!
Yes, but the entire concept of American Exceptionalism is that we hold ourselves to a higher ideal than other countries of the world. This is the land of the FREE, where all are FREE to pursue life, liberty, and opportunity as long as it does not injure or denigrate the rights of others. Oddly enough, there is a point almost lost there among your ranting: absolute tolerance for any and all behavior does not exist, it is limited by the social morays and norms of our society at large. Who gets to dictate those morals when individual groups within society have different tolerances? A hundred years ago, intolerance against homosexuals was the norm and was excepted in society. Now it's fast becoming the minority view. I would like to think that we are evolving into a more enlightened society, but I am not so sure.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:57 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Yes, but the entire concept of American Exceptionalism is that we hold ourselves to a higher ideal than other countries of the world. This is the land of the FREE, where all are FREE to pursue life, liberty, and opportunity as long as it does not injure or denigrate the rights of others. Oddly enough, there is a point almost lost there among your ranting: absolute tolerance for any and all behavior does not exist, it is limited by the social morays and norms of our society at large. Who gets to dictate those morals when individual groups within society have different tolerances? A hundred years ago, intolerance against homosexuals was the norm and was excepted in society. Now it's fast becoming the minority view. I would like to think that we are evolving into a more enlightened society, but I am not so sure.
Talking about America, lower your expectations. And you will not be disappointed.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:14 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Right wing nutter: "You're intolerant because you won't tolerate my intolerance!"

Reality: LOLWUT?

Old 04-07-2011, 03:56 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Just wondering how intolerance teaches, tolerance?

YouTube - Trolling for trouble Fall 2009.wmv

Old 04-07-2011, 08:18 PM

164 posts, read 103,888 times
“The highest result of education is tolerance.” ~ Helen Keller

Old 10-06-2015, 11:58 PM

197 posts, read 86,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I have said once and I will say it again. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOLERANCE!! What you think is tolerance doesn't fly in other parts of the world! People have become so ignorantly PC today that they same to believe that what they believe is right and everyone else is wrong. Such as feminism, liberalism, and gay rights. These things don't exist in half the countries across the world!! And these people are hypocrites anyway because ask them if there should be tolerance towards pedophiles and beastiality and they don't know what to say! So I'm going to say it again, tolerance doesn't exist. ANYWHERE!! Ignorant people like to throw that word around because they have no education or knowledge on the rest of the world and their values. If your not tolerant towards EVERYTHING and EVERYONE of every lifestyle, religion, and culture, then your not tolerant PERIOD!!
I don't believe in tolerance. I only believe in acceptance.
I'm gay, and I'm not ashamed of who I am. People who accept me can become my friends. People who don't accept me can be my neighbors. I'm tired of people who say "I respect your homosexuality, but I disapprove your lifestyle." That is just a sugar coating of "I think you are wrong for being who you are, and you should be condemned." Please! If you don't like me, if you think I'm disgusting, say it to my face. I won't sue you or cause you any trouble. Don't pretend to like me in front of me and hate me behind my back.

I really dislike the word tolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies