Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 03:45 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Because liberals dont want to travel all of the way to the ghetto to have a 'rich cultural experience' like getting mugged.
Lol, you don't have to travel to a ghetto to get mugged. Muggers are more than happy to make their way to rich affluent neighborhoods.

By the way, a lot of liberals live in the ghetto.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:44 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
my guesses are: 1. it's a costly safeguard to establish in advance in order to fight discrimination lawsuits if they arise (i.e., if you don't have pro-diversity propoganda published beforehand, it's already "score one" for the plaintiff); 2. to increase global sales (e.g. latin america, india, east asia, russia, etc.), possibly.
For #1, anti-discrimination laws are stupid, and are inherently discriminatory themselves. They are just an additional burden on businesses which make them less competitive and tend to raise their costs.

For #2, I can somewhat see it to a small extent. This helps to project a certain type of image to potential trading partners and markets. But, if you look at the case of Japan, they don't like diversity, they don't sell an image of diversity, and they don't really care if anyone knows about it. But they aren't exactly a failure on the international trading scene.

I do believe that Hollywood and the American media have a need to project diversity to seem inclusive, and to expand markets. And since the media and Hollywood tend to have a large amount of influence on American culture and values, it does make sense that diversity is so highly pushed here.

But 99% of the American trading economy is not driven by image. We don't need Egyptian farmers to sell wheat to Egypt. In fact, I sort of doubt we have any Egyptian farmers in this country at all. We don't need African-owned banks to make loans to Nigeria. We don't need Asian car dealers to sell Honda's and Toyota's. We don't need Saudi's in this country to get the oil we need. Etc, etc, etc.

When I think of the benefits of diversity, I always think of this quote....

Quote:
If diversity were a strength people would practice it spontaneously. It wouldn't require constant cheer-leading or expensive lawsuits. If diversity were enriching, people would seek it out. It is in private gatherings not governed by some kind of "civil-rights" law that Americans show just how much strength and enrichment they find in diversity. Such gatherings are usually the very opposite of diverse.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:04 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
I see it differently. It is a gradual development. Tens of thousands of years ago people used to kill and sometimes even eat each other in the course of their daily wars against each other. But the frequency of wars has greatly decreased as time passed on. Religion and other forms of superstition are gradually decreasing. We no longer believe in tribes and ethnic groups being favored by gods. To the contrary, genetics tell us that we are all closely related and thus very similar, much more so than it seems at first glance.
Now, thanks to intercontinental travel and migrations all those artificial and/or geographic obstacles are increasingly obsolete, which will automatically lead to humans mixing at an increased rate. Sure, there will always be people who don't like that, oftentimes people who consider themselves pure this or that, not knowing that they too are probably the result of mixing.
At the end of this millennium we will be a very mixed world, much more so than today, just think of what humanity looked 1000 years ago, there was much less mixing than today because travels took very long and thus there was little exchange, except for a few warriors etc.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:36 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
For #1, anti-discrimination laws are stupid, and are inherently discriminatory themselves. They are just an additional burden on businesses which make them less competitive and tend to raise their costs.

For #2, I can somewhat see it to a small extent. This helps to project a certain type of image to potential trading partners and markets. But, if you look at the case of Japan, they don't like diversity, they don't sell an image of diversity, and they don't really care if anyone knows about it. But they aren't exactly a failure on the international trading scene.
#1: Business that "struggle" with anti-discriminatory laws are better done with than be pampered. They have no place in a civilized society.

#2: Its not that the Japanese don't like prosperity, Japan doesn't make for an appealing place to immigrate to for several reasons. It is also that the Japanese tend to not continue with ethnic/racial profiling, like France (it is illegal in France to do so), that unlike America, they don't have Japanese Indians, Japanese Chinese, Japanese Koreans, Japanese Russians... they have Japanese citizens.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:41 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
I find th question interesting since nearly Everytime I see a thread on Diversity it is from someone from the right.
Personally I love diversity, each group brings its own set of unique talents and skills to the table and enriches us all. After having traveled much of the world myself I have found that when someone ignores the cultural differences, people, no matter their nationality, want the same things out of life as people everyone else.
Casper

Old 04-11-2011, 09:48 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
They want you to think they are for diversity. The trouble is, when someone says anything they don't agree with, they don't want to have anything to do with that individual rather than agreeing to disagree. And, above all, they hate Republicans.

So, therefore, the left does not really embrace diversity.
My friends who are most vociferous in their celebrations of diversity also have tons of money and live in the most homogenous places in large homes with gated properties and private police.

I don't agree with affirmative action, have neighbors who are foreign, of other religions and races and it works for all of us in our little homes a few miles but worlds apart from the above former group.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:50 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
By the way, a lot of liberals live in the ghetto.

Where do they park their limos? (I kid, I kid )

Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
#1: Business that "struggle" with anti-discriminatory laws are better done with than be pampered. They have no place in a civilized society.
That is stupid. Do you have any idea why they struggle? Because, they have to hire unqualified people to meet a certain required levels of "diversity" to make them seem to be racially inclusive.

If they have a 90% black workforce, no one cares, it is held up as a triumph of the progress we have made on racial equality. If they have a 90% white workforce, its because they are discriminatory in hiring, and need to be attacked, boycotted, fined, and sued. But most of the time, neither of these things are true. But to give an illusion of racial equality, you are burdened with having to constantly balance your businesses racial composition. I think this is an unfair burden on a supposedly "colorblind" society.

Quote:
#2: Its not that the Japanese don't like prosperity, Japan doesn't make for an appealing place to immigrate to for several reasons. It is also that the Japanese tend to not continue with ethnic/racial profiling, like France (it is illegal in France to do so), that unlike America, they don't have Japanese Indians, Japanese Chinese, Japanese Koreans, Japanese Russians... they have Japanese citizens.
No, Japan doesn't allow diversity. In fact, a foreigner cannot own land in Japan. It is almost impossible to become a citizen in Japan as a foreign national. And the Japanese police will constantly stop people who look foreign for their "identification papers". Because they don't want foreigners hanging out in their country, period. Even the politicians there still expouse the need for homogeneity.

Why the Japanese behave better than Westerners – Telegraph Blogs

Japan thinks racial diversity makes a country weak and that it increases hostility and crime. I agree.

The downside of diversity - The Boston Globe

"Robert Putnam -- famous for "Bowling Alone," his 2000 book on declining civic engagement -- has found that the greater the diversity in a community, the fewer people vote and the less they volunteer, the less they give to charity and work on community projects. In the most diverse communities, neighbors trust one another about half as much as they do in the most homogenous settings. The study, the largest ever on civic engagement in America, found that virtually all measures of civic health are lower in more diverse settings."

Old 04-11-2011, 11:59 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
That is stupid. Do you have any idea why they struggle? Because, they have to hire unqualified people to meet a certain required level of "diversity" to make them seem to be racially inclusive.
It is okay to have a disagreement with a law in the way it is framed/implemented, but stupid to disagree with the idea behind it.

Quote:
If they have a 90% black workforce, no one cares, it is held up as a triumph of the progress we have made on racial equality...
Well, thanks for highlighting once again, your attitude.

Quote:
But to give an illusion of racial equality, you are burdened with having to constantly balance your businesses racial composition. I think this is an unfair burden on a supposedly "colorblind" society.
People who tend to have issues with efforts for equality disregarding race, ethnicity, religion, sex etc are those who have the illusion of some form of superiority over others.

Quote:
No, Japan doesn't allow diversity. In fact, a foreigner cannot own land in Japan. It is almost impossible to become a citizen in Japan as a foreign national. And the Japanese police will constantly stop people who look foreign for their "identification papers". Because they don't want foreigners hanging out in their country, period. Even the politicians there still expouse the need for homogeneity.
If Japan didn't allow diversity, it cannot have citizens from other nationalities and ethnicities. Anybody who has been to Japan or is even vaguely familiar with the country can vouch that to be untrue. It is true that non-Japanese populace is very little in Japan but to claim that they aren't allowed would be a blatant lie or ignorance.

Another thing that you don't get is that Japan does not divide its populace into ethnicities and nationalities like we do. If you become a Japanese citizen (a friend of mine did), he is no longer an "American Japanese" or a "White". He is a "Japanese".

Are we grown up yet to do that?

Old 04-11-2011, 12:17 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Because they need to try and sway as many people as possible to come over to their side so they can win elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies