Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:50 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Science disagrees with you. Should we also ban single parents from raising children?
No, I'm just saying statistics show that children grow up best with married parents. From a personal experience, I would agree with that. My parents divorced when I was only 4 and I know what it's like to be raised with divorced parents. Having to deal with my mom and dad arguing and bickering over child support and when my dad could see me, etc is exhausting. My mom also struggled financially (my dad did too, but I live(d) with my mom.) and it was difficult dealing with financial stresses. I changed a lot after my parents divorced, in bad ways, not good. I guess I grew up okay, but I would have grown a heck a lot better if my parents were married. As I was growing up, I was always wishing my parents would make up and get remarried, my friends who also have divorced parents felt the same way.

That's why I want to find the right girl and be married when I have children and when I raise them. I don't want to let my kids grow up in the way I did and dealing with all the messes I dealt with.

If children grow with an exclusively single parent, as in just the mother or the father without ever seeing the other parent again, I would imagine this could cause children to long for the other parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 02:54 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,705 times
Marriage is nothing but a piece of paper. Plenty of dysfunctional families with married parents.

Bad parents are the problem, not divorced ones. Your parents couldn't let there dislike for each other be set aside. Marriage means nothing. Doesn't mean you're a good parent. Doesn't mean you even love your spouse. Means you're married.

Maybe w should let homosexuals marry. That'll fix the problem.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:06 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
I could care less about gay people adopting kids if they provide them a good home and treat them with love and raise them right. Homosexuality is great for population control! I'd rather have two successful gay men or women raise 3 kids than some illegal mexican family trying to raise 3 on minimum wage.

My gosh i actually agree with you on something. surpirse surprise. I rather the same thing happen, too many kids, are just a number in the system. These poor kids just want a loving hime, don't think they care truthfully after never having a home or love, if the two people from the same sex are raising them. I much rather see that, then these kids abused. Many children are abused today, and treated very cruely, from their own parents who are straight.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:09 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,705 times
Like that couple in Roanoke va who boarded there kids in a room covered in feces and urine so they could do drugs.

He'll, the straight mom lost two other kids after passing out at some trailer and her kids walked onto the interstate.

Bad parents are the problem. Or bad parent. Either way.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:12 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
No, I'm just saying statistics show that children grow up best with married parents. From a personal experience, I would agree with that. My parents divorced when I was only 4 and I know what it's like to be raised with divorced parents. Having to deal with my mom and dad arguing and bickering over child support and when my dad could see me, etc is exhausting. My mom also struggled financially (my dad did too, but I live(d) with my mom.) and it was difficult dealing with financial stresses. I changed a lot after my parents divorced, in bad ways, not good. I guess I grew up okay, but I would have grown a heck a lot better if my parents were married. As I was growing up, I was always wishing my parents would make up and get remarried, my friends who also have divorced parents felt the same way.

That's why I want to find the right girl and be married when I have children and when I raise them. I don't want to let my kids grow up in the way I did and dealing with all the messes I dealt with.

If children grow with an exclusively single parent, as in just the mother or the father without ever seeing the other parent again, I would imagine this could cause children to long for the other parent.

There are all sorts of dysfunctional families, including those with married parents. Fact of the matter is the most important thing for a child is a loving home environment.

Aside from that by banning gays from adopting or single parents from adopting you really aren't going to have more kids being adopted into homes with a mom and dad, the only thing you are going to do is have fewer kids adopted in more kids being raised in foster care.

I think even you can admit being in a loving home with one parent or two same sex parents is surely better than either a non-loving home or foster care.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:30 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
GOOD>>>>>

http://www.365gay.com/news/ark-court...gay-adoptions/

But of course some groups will challenge it and waste millions of taxpayer and private dollars......like Florida's governor intends to do here.

And before someone posts something incredibly dumb>>>>>
From the American Psychological Association>>>>>
Lesbian & Gay Parenting: Theoretical & Conceptual Examinations Related to Lesbian & Gay Parenting

Old 04-07-2011, 03:35 PM

29 posts, read 70,700 times
I live in Arkansas YAY, stripping people of their civil rights while not caring for kids who need it. I hate this state, bunch of morons.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:37 PM

7 posts, read 6,013 times
Thats a shame!! thats like saying they are better off in the system, where,( lets be honest have you seen some of these foster homes??) too often the adults are doing it just for a check in the mail, then to be with families who would love them instead and Sooo, if a man fathers children, and later lives his life as a gay man, does this automatically means hes off the hook for financial support?? Or do all of his parental rights get taken away?

Old 04-07-2011, 03:47 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post

When I read what you've written, it seems that your parents did not get along. While it's nice to think that if you're parents had married, they would have worked things out, it's also unrealistic. People who are forced to live together who don't get along don't magically start to get along. They actually start to hate each other. I know of children whose parents stayed together "for the children's sake", and almost everyone of them wish that their parents had gone their separate ways instead. Even when the bickering was kept minimal, the parents were terribly unhappy, and though the choice was made by the parents, the children feel the burden of the years their parents endured an unhappy relationship.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:50 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadelynfrmNY View Post
Thats a shame!! thats like saying they are better off in the system, where,( lets be honest have you seen some of these foster homes??) too often the adults are doing it just for a check in the mail, then to be with families who would love them instead and Sooo, if a man fathers children, and later lives his life as a gay man, does this automatically means hes off the hook for financial support?? Or do all of his parental rights get taken away?
Just to make clear the court struck down the ban, so gays will be allowed to adopt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies