Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 05:36 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

Buzzards27 thinks he/she is so smart to save so much money every month on gas...and it could be if he/she paid cash for the car.

But most people who have changed are driving cars with higher car insurance due to being newer and more at risk for damages.

Their car loan monthly payment is way higher, but what the heck...they only count in what they pay at the pump...just like Obama does. What Obama is tyring to bring across is to keep people stupid and don't think any further for the future that is hwy we have to trade him, otherwise our grand kids have debt on top of debt.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 05:47 AM

37,218 posts, read 19,210,527 times
[quote=jkbatca;18650820]What we need is a focused president which has a master plan to transition us from the wasteful infrastructure we have now to a more self supporting, more efficient infrastructure. We need to transition to a fully electric infrastructure with NEW MODERN designed nuclear plants which takes lessons learned into account (not the 50 year old crappy designs like what failed in Japan) as well as other ideas.

What we don't need is the moronic environmentalist's view of jacking up gas prices to artificially economically force us to a more efficient infrastructure, because at the risk of sounding like a broken record, that method is extremely short sighted and will cause way too much needless economic pain.

The problem is the last time a government solution to oil was tried, we wound up with CAFE standards which led to the rise of the SUVs and the Energy department, which did exactly what to help us the last 50 years?[/quote]
The CAFE standards were implemented under Jimmy Carter and were progressive enough to have legislated us into fuel semi-independence by now. As soon as Ronald Reagan took office, he gutted them, probably at the urging of his lap-dog-***-VP George H.W. Bush who was in the oil business.

If Reagan had never been elected we quite probaboly would have developed viable alternatives by now. As to the detractors, people said that the automobile was a passing fancy, but it's hard to find a good buggy whip manufacturer any more. All things shall pass.

Note: I see that the board edits out Latin words as well as profanity.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:53 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
And this, the left considers leadership!

Where are the congressional hearings about high gas prices?

Oh, that's right....it's no longer the POTUS responsibility.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrtx View Post
Actually Cueballd I would not send in my Army and steal it.

Park a couple of Boomers off the African coast with 28 nuclear warheads each should do it. No blackmail, no stealing, no junkies. Say King give us your oil or pick which cities will be vaporized, if not I will pick them and it wouldn't be pretty.
This would do what the Khans and no one else has accomplished yet.

Thank you,

your President
If you would steal it to support your habit you have aligned yourself with junkies who will steal to support their habits.

No difference whatever between oil and heroin.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:01 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The man has no clue! When a person asked about high gas prices, this was his answer; "trade in your car"...does he really think that will save you money?

He has no clue that most times you first loose money and in the end it will take a long time to get that back...similar when you buy a hibrid...

Calculate how long it will take with the higher price to buy that car, to get really a break and start saving on gas....that takes years!

I say; "Trade in this president!"

Good one. Maybe we could call it the "cash for a clunker" program.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
And this, the left considers leadership!

Where are the congressional hearings about high gas prices?

Oh, that's right....it's no longer the POTUS responsibility.
It is not the place of the government to interfere in free enterprise and set prices for oil and petroleum derivatives, unless, of course, you are suggesting that the U.S. take over the oil companies and run them like PEMEX in Mexico. After all the whining when GM was supported and kept from going under, I doubt that government ownership of the oil companies is a palatable idea for a lot of people.

If you need to blame someone for four-dollar gas, blame the speculators on Wall Street who buy oil futures and drive the price up artificially. The oil companies set their prices based on what the projected price of oil will be when they have to make a buy so that they can cover costs and make a profit. Eliminate the speculators and you eleiminate rising prices. But there again, remember that you are asking the government to interefere in business.

Do you want more or less government intervention in your life?

Old 04-09-2011, 06:06 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
[quote=cuebald;18651584]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
The CAFE standards were implemented under Jimmy Carter and were progressive enough to have legislated us into fuel semi-independence by now. .

You are dreaming, right? Fuel "semi-independence?" We've gone from 28% imported oil in 1972 to over 50% today. I wouldn't call that "semi-independence".

And all CAFE did was push more sales of pick-ups and SUVs which are exempt from the standards.

We don't need CAFE at all. We just need to let market prices drive consumer behavior.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Buzzards27 thinks he/she is so smart to save so much money every month on gas...and it could be if he/she paid cash for the car.

But most people who have changed are driving cars with higher car insurance due to being newer and more at risk for damages.

Their car loan monthly payment is way higher, but what the heck...they only count in what they pay at the pump...just like Obama does. What Obama is tyring to bring across is to keep people stupid and don't think any further for the future that is hwy we have to trade him, otherwise our grand kids have debt on top of debt.....
I pay $230 per month for my brand new Toyota Corolla. I paid over $200 per month feeding my old F150. At my current 35 mpg I will more than recoup. My insurance did go up, $15.00 per month more.

You don't have to have an exorbitant payment to drive a fuel-efficient automobile, and in the long run you will be financially rewarded for doing so. If you want to drive a school bus to work or a Sherman tank, go for it. Just don't expect anyone else to pay for its operation. That's your responsibility. Now - Your point?

Old 04-09-2011, 06:08 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
Quote:
I say; "Trade in this president!"
please tell us u didn't vote for him

Old 04-09-2011, 06:11 AM

[quote=Roadking2003;18651689]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post

You are dreaming, right? Fuel "semi-independence?" We've gone from 28% imported oil in 1972 to over 50% today. I wouldn't call that "semi-independence".

And all CAFE did was push more sales of pick-ups and SUVs which are exempt from the standards.

We don't need CAFE at all. We just need to let market prices drive consumer behavior.
The CAFE standards implemented by Jimmy carter required ever increasing gas milage performance of American automobiles. Reagan did away with the requirement as soon as he took office, and everyone bought SUVs. Lay the blame squarely at the feet of Ronnie. He is the reason you have four-dollar gas at the pumps today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies