Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:30 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times

Advertisements

The headline was taken directly from the article and it isn't a lie.

There's nothing to "defend". Facts are facts. The votes of the people of Benton Harbor have been nullified by the State. It's Fascism at its finest. That so many here approve of it is sickening and frightening for the future of this country. How many times do you want me to post that? I have nothing more to say on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 10:30 AM

52 posts, read 44,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Has anyone else notice Jill posted a lie headline and never came back to defend?
What lie headline? This is very much true. go to mlive.com

Old 04-17-2011, 10:38 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittzStar View Post

Thanks for the tip. I went there and this is what I found:
Five years after riots, Benton Harbor is a city on the rebound | MLive.com

"Five years after rioting in a small area of the city briefly focused the nation's attention on Benton Harbor's economic woes, signs of progress are everywhere. Reports of many serious crimes are down, in some categories by half or more. Educational and job-training opportunities have grown. Hundreds of new homes have been built, and hundreds more are planned."
Of course, then the Bush near-depression recession happened, and cities just like this all across America were hard-hit. But let's blame it on the black folk who are too stupid to know how to vote. Makes me want to vomit.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Benton Harbor has financial problems that the elected officials did not want to deal with.
When the EFM took over they balked. They didn't like "their power" taken away.
Yet they did nothing to fix their deficits.

And the local government was not fired as the OP indicates. The elected officials are still in office.

States are intervening with EFMs because cities and counties are NOT dealing with their budget problems. We are broke and no one wants to step up and fix their local problems.

Jan 2011:
Benton Harbor Commissioners try to 'take back' their city - WSBT-TV
"According to the state's website, an EFM has the authority do nearly everything it takes to run a city except impose new taxes and change existing labor contracts without negotiation. And, according to the website, the EFM must "consult" with the local unit of government but the EFM does not need its approval."

Old 04-17-2011, 12:01 PM

52 posts, read 44,719 times
Happy Texan you are correct BH has been in trouble for a long time and its not all financial.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:17 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post

"Five years after rioting in a small area of the city briefly focused the nation's attention on Benton Harbor's economic woes, signs of progress are everywhere. Reports of many serious crimes are down, in some categories by half or more. Educational and job-training opportunities have grown. Hundreds of new homes have been built, and hundreds more are planned."
Of course, then the Bush near-depression recession happened, and cities just like this all across America were hard-hit. But let's blame it on the black folk who are too stupid to know how to vote. Makes me want to vomit.
I think EFM'ers have been placed by Snyder to take control of something the city possesses. It is a darn shame that the Snyder has no respect for the residents of MI that he has to take their rights away. EFM'ers were not elected by the people. Now who wants to live under a dictatorship in the USA?

There are rumors that takeovers will soon be coming to Flint and Detroit.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
I think EFM'ers have been placed by Snyder to take control of something the city possesses. It is a darn shame that the Snyder has no respect for the residents of MI that he has to take their rights away. EFM'ers were not elected by the people. Now who wants to live under a dictatorship in the USA?

There are rumors that takeovers will soon be coming to Flint and Detroit.
New York State has done that as well with Nassau county, Long Island NY back in March 2011.

Cities, counties and states are NOT like they Fedgov. They MUST have a balanced budget.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:26 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
Don't know how I missed your Told you so thread.

Gov. Snyder is a junior scott walker. There is plenty of recall talk on this man aka the nerd as he calls himself. Supposedly the governor has many financial managers in training for takeovers of several cities in MI.

Tried to rep you but gotta spread the wealth around. I especially liked your post #3 on the Told you so thread.
Rick Snyder is a one term governor.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:31 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittzStar View Post
Really. we are discussing the article Jill posted. Show me where it says they were fired.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 04-17-2011 at 02:40 PM..

Old 04-17-2011, 02:36 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post

So, now it is Bush's fault some little town can't finance itself?

Did you ever think some of your posts makes people want to vomit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies