Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:47 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
smash

have you actually read about the fairtax

take some time...research into it...I was like you fro a while thinking it would hit the poor harder...but that is not the fact..

for me it would be a wash...I earn 60k..and got everything (to incude payroll taxes back)...with the fairtax..I would keep ALL OF THAT, plus get a 7k prebate

try it

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation
As Eienstein's Ghost pointed out those at the bottom (or even the working and middle class) use almost all of their income to pay for things that they needed. Increasing the sales tax would result in them paying more because the sales tax would be at a higher rate than what they are actually paying in income taxes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 02:04 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
sorry, I'll pass. I learned long ago to avoid games where the house mades up the rules, because the house always ends up winning. The wealthy interests behind the "fair" tax wouldn't be pushing it if it didn't have favorable consequences for them. You are acting as a shill for their latest scheme to rob the middle class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
smash

have you actually read about the fairtax

take some time...research into it...I was like you fro a while thinking it would hit the poor harder...but that is not the fact..

for me it would be a wash...I earn 60k..and got everything (to incude payroll taxes back)...with the fairtax..I would keep ALL OF THAT, plus get a 7k prebate

try it

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation

Last edited by buzzards27; 04-19-2011 at 02:17 PM..

Old 04-19-2011, 02:10 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
Do you favor a flat tax on income if we exempt the first 15K?
No. We should abolish income taxes, and start taxing people as a % of their assets.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:13 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Why do you say that? Are you planning on doing the minimum effort for your entire life? Can't improve your skills? Can't sacrifice to save money? You have to live somewhere, why not work hard, save hard and own a home?

I'm unskilled, unemployed, and over 50. Don't think there's a whole lot I can do now to get ahead.

At my last job everyone was paid within a few cents of minimum wage (the ones getting more than minimum wage were lifers who had been with my employer for more than ten years) and most worked hard but there was no relationship between effort or performance and compensation.

And that wasn't minimum effort, that was a difficult high-volume retail job. I remember only one slacker the whole time I worked there, and the only reason she lasted as long as she did is that her cousin (who recruited her for the job) was a star employee.

Actually I'm self-employed, I started with nothing, and I'm gaining some momentum, but I don't see being able to buy a home in the foreseeable future.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:17 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Zero income tax and a flat 15% sales tax on everything but food and medicine. That's the only way to successfully tax the rich. Tax their consumption.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:22 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Zero income tax and a flat 15% sales tax on everything but food and medicine. That's the only way to successfully tax the rich. Tax their consumption.
Poor people spend a much higher percentage of their income than rich people do. It's an unfair tax on lower income earners. If you make less than 25K, you are probably spending all of your money.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:22 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Not only do the working poor spend most of what they earn but they spend most of what they borrow. a consumption tax would be a hidden tax on what they borrow.

and the wealthy would just find ways to aquire their toys without paying the tax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Poor people spend a much higher percentage of their income than rich people do. It's an unfair tax on lower income earners. If you make less than 25K, you are probably spending all of your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies