Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:10 AM

79 posts, read 249,874 times

Advertisements

We will NOT leave Iraq.
Don't matter who wins the election, nothing will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 07:05 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,669,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
There is over 10.000 people in support of the war,
I'm guessing they all live in Texas too, don't they? The other 299,990,000 of us want OUT!!! Why did we instigate a war to begin with against Iraq, which had no credible connection to 9/11? Where exactly are these "weapons of mass destruction?" More than 3,000 brave men and women, many from PA, have paid the ultimate price to rectify President Bush's mistake. The last I heard Osama bin Laden was believed to be in Pakistan or Afghanistan, yet we're concentrating our military efforts in Baghdad. Why? Shouldn't we be devoting 100% of our resources towards hunting down the man responsible for killing over 3,000 civilians on our own soil nearly six years ago? The second I'm drafted into this war, I'm headed for Toronto!

Old 08-06-2007, 07:12 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,089,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I'm guessing they all live in Texas too, don't they? The other 299,990,000 of us want OUT!!! Why did we instigate a war to begin with against Iraq, which had no credible connection to 9/11? Where exactly are these "weapons of mass destruction?" More than 3,000 brave men and women, many from PA, have paid the ultimate price to rectify President Bush's mistake. The last I heard Osama bin Laden was believed to be in Pakistan or Afghanistan, yet we're concentrating our military efforts in Baghdad. Why? Shouldn't we be devoting 100% of our resources towards hunting down the man responsible for killing over 3,000 civilians on our own soil nearly six years ago? The second I'm drafted into this war, I'm headed for Toronto!
I think you misunderstood. I was talking about civilians that are working over there on our military bases.

The last I heard, Osama was dead. But why hunt one person?

Old 08-06-2007, 07:47 AM

68,340 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Quote:

Good question. To which I would add why did we focus on overthrowing one person?

Al qaeda is the true enemy and is spread throughout many countries, it's no longer a case of waging war against a nation state and will require new strategies and tactics to succeed. To focus on one man or one nation is not likely to eliminate the threat of al Qaeda.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:14 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,669,252 times
Quote:
I think you misunderstood. I was talking about civilians that are working over there on our military bases.

Oops! I think I need to learn to thoroughly read EVERYTHING before I comment. LOL!

Old 08-06-2007, 08:18 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,089,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Good question. To which I would add why did we focus on overthrowing one person?

Al qaeda is the true enemy and is spread throughout many countries, it's no longer a case of waging war against a nation state and will require new strategies and tactics to succeed. To focus on one man or one nation is not likely to eliminate the threat of al Qaeda.
Or, another way to look at it is we were hunting one person but 40,000 got in the way.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:17 AM

68,340 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Quote:
Or, another way to look at it is we were hunting one person but 40,000 got in the way.

There's little doubt that Iraq was on the Bush agenda long before 9/11, I believe the failure to refocus on al Qaeda as the true enemy after 9/11 was a terrible mistake. Mistakes don't get corrected until they're admitted to be mistakes. I think the failure to focus on the true enemy will be the legacy of this administration long after Iraq is no longer the primary focus of US policies.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Libertarian View Post
Incorrect. You have been reading Daily Kos too much. The urban legends have gone to epic proportions.

According to Saddam Hussein's own U.N. Declaration the majority of the chemicals used to kill the kurds came from European Countries NOT the United States!

Saddam Hussein purchased "dual-use chemicals" that could be purchased for agriculture use and then be turned into chemical weapons.

CNN.com - Gulf War veterans suing companies for chemical exports - Jan. 17, 2003

A PRIVATE U.S. company sold Bell Helicopters to Iraq and the company was under specific ordes that they could not be configured for military use:,

PDF of sales contract here:
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/iraq55.pdf

On top of that an eye witness said the chemical weapons were delivered by RUSSIAN Mig-23 aircraft not helicopters.

Halabja poison gas attack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has been reported that Iraq then purchased chemical sprayer conversion kits from another European Country to convert those helicopters. That's the United State's fault?

NO It's SADDAM HUSSEIN'S FAULT.

ON top of that people like you ignore the fact the top weapons suppliers and who really ARMED SADDAM HUSEIN were Russia, France, and China.

I added up all the numbers from when Saddam Hussein actually became President of Iraq in 1979.

Top Weapons Suppliers to Saddam Hussein 1979 to 1990($m).
#1. RUSSIA 26,102
#2. CHINA 5,736
#3. FRANCE 5,111
#4. CZECHOSLOVAKIA 2,095
#5. POLAND 640
#6. BRAZIL 617
#7. EGYPT 350
#8. DENMARK 351
#9. AUSTRIA 190
#10. ROMANIA 186
#11. U.S. 75
#12. GERMANY 52

http://www.sipri.org/contents/armstrad/TIV_imp_IRQ_70-04.pdf (broken link)

After the 1988 gassing of the Kurds the US and UK stopped all radar and helicopter sales to Iraq.

But RUSSIA, FRANCE, & GERMANY (AMONG MANY OTHERS) continued to sell Saddam weapons!

1988 to 1990
#1: RUSSIA 1,570
#2: France 363
#3: Poland 218
#4: Egypt 47
#5: Czechoslovakia 45
#6: Germany 31
#7: Brazil 25
#8: China 23
#9: Switzerland 8
#10: Spain 2

I wonder why Russia and France were against Diplomacy and U.N. Resolutions to tell Saddam to comply or be removed by force?????

Maybe because France and Russia were owed the most money by Saddam Hussein because they were the countries who ARMED Saddam Hussein??????

CNN.com - Russia vows to block resolution - Mar. 10, 2003

Ya think?

You Liberals with your hate America talking points and blameing all evil in the world on America make me puke.
Nicely said.......

Old 08-06-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Look, you may be a real nice person and one who cares for the nation but I cannot understand why so many Americans have switched off their common sense button.

The population of Iraq that we are concerned for DO want us there, for the most part anyway.

It's not that we instigated a War as much as we did what we said we would do. That's go after nations that harbor terrorists.

Iraq DID AND DOES have Al-Qaeda training camps.
That makes them at least partially responsible.
Sadam DID support terrorism; he paid families to have their children become suicide bombers.
Even though he is gone it is irrelevant. Terror lingers.
We are in fact fighting Iran there too.
We are offering democracy (and trying real hard to force it too) to a nation that is a starting point for the grand plan.

The US wants to spread democracy; this is the way to fight terrorism which stems from either dictatorship, Religion and as usual suppression. Not to mention all of the above.

We've been in Korea for 50 years, partially for that very reason.

If we do nothing we loose because they WILL attack us again.
They've tried a few times but we foiled it.

The other way is to wipe them off the face of the earth but that's just not cricket as the English would say, it's not humane.

There is no other choice. Please don't say pull out of Iraq because that will not happen no matter who is in power.

If there's another way tell me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies