Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 01:12 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,622,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
obama was brought up in Hawaii, which IS part of this country.
Which according to some one I've heard on the radio who was also raised in Hawaii, they don't cover U.S. History in schools, but the history of Hawaii, instead.

Dunno---just what I've heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 01:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,006,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
obama was brought up in Hawaii, which IS part of this country.
I believe the poster to whom you respond was referring to his earlier years in Thailand. While those may not be a primary influence in his life he has referred to his experineces there enough not to discount those years entirely. IIRC, during the 2008 campaign Obama even cited his experiences living abroad as uniquely qualifying him to become POTUS in regard to foreign policy and nullifying his complete lack of experience in other areas. So yes, it is relevant.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:55 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,573,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I believe the poster to whom you respond was referring to his earlier years in Thailand. While those may not be a primary influence in his life he has referred to his experineces there enough not to discount those years entirely. IIRC, during the 2008 campaign Obama even cited his experiences living abroad as uniquely qualifying him to become POTUS in regard to foreign policy and nullifying his complete lack of experience in other areas. So yes, it is relevant.
Indonesia.....FYI

Old 04-30-2011, 03:03 PM

18,418 posts, read 19,075,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Which according to some one I've heard on the radio who was also raised in Hawaii, they don't cover U.S. History in schools, but the history of Hawaii, instead.

Dunno---just what I've heard.
you heard wrong. we may not have a highly rated school system and in addition to teaching hawaiian history, hawaii does indeed teach it's students US history and world history

Old 04-30-2011, 03:04 PM

6 posts, read 8,248 times
Hes half white.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:06 PM

18,418 posts, read 19,075,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
the post I replied to said obama was not raised in america nor did he have american roots. the facts are he was raised in america, has american roots. traveling and spending a few years outside the country does not change that fact it only makes the man more well rounded

Old 04-30-2011, 03:47 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,484,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
But that's not (all of) what she is....that is what some perceive her to be. Perception is not reality. Perception is opinion and viewpoint but not necessarily fact.
That is the point I am making. Perception isn't reality, but people react based on their perceptions, which then becomes their reality and becomes yours if their reality affects your in any way (employer, mother-in-law, whatever). If someone perceives you as black and decides you deserve/don't deserve the job based on their perception, it becomes your reality.

The fact isn't that she is only black or only not black or whatever. That isn't what I am saying either. The fact is that people perceive her as black. And the fact is that how people perceive her is what they base their actions off of, and is what in turn affects her.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:49 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,484,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
What do you think social construct means

America is still stuck on one drop rule. It is so ingrained, it seems many have accepted it without question. I think if they actually gave thought to this, they would realize how ridiculous it is.

Judging people by the color of their skin simply supports that rule. It's all about keeping "black" blood out of the "white" race.

There is no scientific basis for what we call "race". So it's feeble to claim we must categorize people into nonscientific skin color categories, particularly when society always defaults to the minority "race". Why is it that when a "white" person produces offspring with any other "race", the offspring defaults to the minority "race"?

The reason for defaulting to the minority "race" is due to a country persistent in one drop rule, white folks trying to keep that "race" "pure" --- as well as the proclivity to categorize people into nonscientific "racial" categories. It's senseless.
Exactly. I am not agreeing that the one-drop rule should be followed, but merely observed that most people today do still follow it. My post was in direct response to the posters who claimed the one-drop rule is obsolete. It is not obsolete because while it's no longer on the books, it is still very much real in the minds of many.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:53 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,213,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
What kills me is some of you that are saying he's half white will not be saying that if he runs the country into the ground!

IF?????????

The cockpit and first class section are already in shreds, and coach will soon be too, as we crash into the ground as I type.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:55 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,345,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
When they do good or are in a position of power, they're biracial. When they **** up, suddenly they're black.

We know the truth...

They can argue and debate it all they like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies