Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 02:51 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Congratulations on the following states for already legalizing gay marriage with little controversy, over the past decade:[/list]Never:
  • Idaho
  • Utah
  • North Dakota
  • South Dakota
  • Nebraska
  • Kansas
  • Oklahoma
  • Texas
  • Arkansas
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Ohio
  • Kentucky
  • Alabama
  • Georgia
  • Florida
  • South Carolina
  • Virginia
hey--Georgia just passed a bill that will allow a referundum on Sunday alcohols sales---we are progressing.

I can verify that gentrification is 'real' in Atlanta, GA. Slowly influencing the outlying territories.

Move GA up a bit on the 'Never' list. lol

Old 05-01-2011, 02:55 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,557,244 times
For being a Jew arguing against people on the Bible you really don't have much knowledge of it.
Quote:
Abomination is a mistranslation. In Hebrew, the word is To'evah. A to'evah was a taboo or cultural faux pas. Wearing mixed fabrics or eating shellfish was a to'evah. It doesn't have nearly the evil connotation the English abomination means.
the word toavah appears in the verse in Deuteronomy chapter 25 verse 16 in a context that is talking about false weights and measures used when buying and selling (in short robbery) or is that also only a "taboo or cultural faux pas".

Quote:
As for your holocaust rant, I'm pretty disgusted that a fellow Jew doesn't seem to have a problem with gays being thrown in concentration camps for being gay. The fact that you treat people you do not understand with such disdain is very sad.
you do know that gays were amongst the worst to the jews as kapos in concentration camps in Germany and weren't placed at all in to death camps.

I also never said that what was done to them was right in order to give a punishment the person who does it can't be a murderer otherwise the reason their doing it is not really a justice.

Quote:
And in 30 A.D., the Sanhedrin abolished the death penalty.
and do you know why? next learn the gemara and the mipharshiem and then talk. see the ran on the gemara.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:28 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
hey--Georgia just passed a bill that will allow a referundum on Sunday alcohols sales---we are progressing.

I can verify that gentrification is 'real' in Atlanta, GA. Slowly influencing the outlying territories.

Move GA up a bit on the 'Never' list. lol
Yeah, Atlanta has the 3rd largest gay population in the country so i could see that influencing Georgia.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:33 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Yeah, Atlanta has the 3rd largest gay population in the country so i could see that influencing Georgia.
lol--We have had some interesting discussions in the Atlanta forum.

Social issues---somehow --someday. My own little neighborhood has moved forward. Whatever goes on in the rest of the city--proximity to a university---that helps.jmo.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:30 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Probably because you are only looking at those studies that support your position. But as it is, yes, I do. Here is one:

Timothy J. Dailey Ph.D. -- Homosexual Parenting: Placing children at risk

There is just one...although I know you will likely reject it on one ground or another...

But we can trade studies all the live-long day. At some point though, just common sense ought to enter into it. I am actually one of those conservative Southern Baptists who mostly believes a person cannot help their sexual orientation. Like I said earlier, I have some openly gay friends and I don't care that they are. I'll stick up for them as friends. But that doesn't mean I accept any idea of a marriage between them and their partner as being the moral equivelent of marriage between a man and woman. And certainly not that a gay couple could possibly adopt a child of the opposite sex and expect that child to grow up in a normal way. Even with the best of intentions it isn't possible.

Like said, how can two men possibily really relate to a girl experiencing her first period and growing breasts and undergoing changes. Likewise with two gay women with a boy child starting to reach puberty and all that involves. A girl needs a mother/woman, and a boy a male/father to explain these things to her/him. How can two men honestly play dolls with the girl and explain to her about womanhood...and two women talk to a boy about things that only another man can understand?

And this is to say nothing of the ridicule those poor kids will suffer from their peers when they find out Heather has two mommies and their daddies sleep together...
That is NOT a study. It's an opinion piece full of misrepresentation of actual studies. Tim Dailey's only qualifications are in Theology and he writes books about the Bible. He has a conservative religious extremist anti-gay agenda.

How about something a little more objective from a reputable source like the American Academy of Pediatricians?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
it doesn't use that word in Leviticus
It does in Deuteronomy where all the laws with a death penalty in Leviticus 20 are repeated almost word for word, except for Lev. 20:13.
Instead there is the condemnation of qadesh and qadesha. (Deut 23:17)
Why do you think that is?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
so I guess relations with an aunt meant you can't rape your aunt because it use's the same word there.

love your neighbor as your self only appears in the torah in between the to places that ban homosexuality so if all all of Leviticus is barbaric, and outdated then I guess you think that is outdated too

look at the punishment which clearly shows the difference
And look at some of the commandments in the same chapter (Lev 19) as the commandment to "love your neighbour". They are barbaric by today's standards.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:48 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Congratulations on the following states for already legalizing gay marriage with little controversy, over the past decade:
  • Massachusetts
  • Connecticut
  • New Hampshire
  • Vermont
  • Iowa
  • District of Columbia
Did the people in these states vote to legalize gay marriage, or did some activist judge decide the matter on his/her own?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
a did you did you get that quote from the mishna from wikipedia (I'm asking because in order to show you why you are wrong I need to no your knowledge level which based on what you keep saying show your am haratus)

first of all under jewish law a ones is patur (in case you don't understand if you were raped you are not punished) see bava kamma daf 28B
if you still don't understand everything you said above isn't true.
second did you ever learn the gemra in sanhedrian that actualy discuses the prohibition from a halich point of view because if you did you would never say what you did.

Your religious beliefs are an attack on other people's FREEDOM TO LIVE as they are.

We do not and should not dictate freedom based on the pages of the Bible, Torah or Koran, anymore than we use Aesop's fables or Grimm's fairytales as sources of morality and law.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:54 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Did the people in these states vote to legalize gay marriage, or did some activist judge decide the matter on his/her own?
Who cares how it happened. Without "activist judges" we'd still have fountains for "coloureds" in the deep south.

(Which I suspect many a "conservative" C-D poster actually would support "majority will" segregation...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies