Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:30 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
No, it took our military and intelligence 9 years to capture and kill OBL.

No, actually it took 4 years from the time they got the name of the courier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 06:30 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,445,226 times
Lightbulb Why is George Bush trying to take credit for UBL's death?

Because he knows there's an audience for it.

True believers

Old 05-03-2011, 06:33 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,320,466 times
When your record is as bad as Bush's you have to try to claim credit for other people's accomplishments whenever possible. Bush sure seems to think so anyway.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:33 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I do not routinely watch Fox News. They turned me off a long, long time ago. I do not know who is on at what time or anything of the sort.

After reading some threads on CD where some posters tried to directly link GWB to the capture/killing of OBL, I decided to tune in Fox News to see if this narrative was coming from them. Let's face it: some posters have a habit of regurgitating what they see on TV or hear on the radio but they lack what I call the "spinning skills" the professionals have and end up sounding like poorly informed fools.

When I purposely tuned into Fox last night, Hannity just happened to be on. I say purposely because most of the time I just surf the channels. I admit that I did not watch his entire show only the first few minutes. What I did see with my own eyes was an inordinate amount of old GWB footage intertwined (and at times inserted) into the footage of Obama's announcement. GWB is not in office. He did not give the order to go into Pakistan and kill OBL. GWB did not go on TV to announce the capture/killing of OBL. So, why insert so much footage of GWB? Why interrupt the replay of Obama's announcement? Maybe you did not notice because you watch it all the time and have become used to it or desensitized to it.

To me, it came across as a blatant manipulation of the message in order to influence my opinion. Sorry, but in my line of work I deal with manipulative people all the time. I can see this behavior from a mile away, and I don't appreciate it. If Hannity wanted to recap the search for OBL from the beginning, he should have included Tora Bora. Battle of Tora Bora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. But he didn't. Not in the first few minutes that I saw.

I changed the channels after Rudy Giuliani started to extoll the virtues of "enhanced interrogation" techniques. They can use all the euphemisms they want: it's torture anyway you look at it. It doesn't matter to me if it is effective or not. The moral compass instilled in me by my family and the nuns who educated me tells me it is wrong. I can't help that. It churns my stomach.

In retrospect, perhaps GWB did have something to do with the capture of OBL. Namely, he showed Obama how not to go about it..

Perhaps the OP perceived things in a similar light as I did. I don't know if GWB has deliberately tried to link himself to OBL's capture, but it sure looks like the people who have been carrying water for him for years are doing just that.

Because it was the BUSH DOCTRINE and his policies that got UBL. Barry gets "credit" for allowing the intel programs to continue.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:34 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,139,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Because he knows there's an audience for it.

True believers

He didn't try to take credit genius. Do you read at all or look into anything before you start yapping?

Old 05-03-2011, 06:34 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
No, it took our military and intelligence 9 years to capture and kill OBL.
That's pretty pathetic.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:35 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,139,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
When your record is as bad as Bush's you have to try to claim credit for other people's accomplishments whenever possible. Bush sure seems to think so anyway.
See my above comment. Same applies to you

Old 05-03-2011, 06:35 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
No, actually it took 4 years from the time they got the name of the courier.
NO, actually it took 8 years from the time the NY Times disclosed that the CIA was tracking Bin Laden's cell phone. He ditched it and went underground and started using the courier system.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:36 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,952,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Why is George Bush trying to take credit for the operation that killed Bin Laden.
George Bush had 7 years to do it, and he couldn't do what Obama accomplished in 2 years.

What's more hilarious is the 1000s of time that I had to hear "George Bush is not president anymore"

'Blame Bush' Strategy Wears Thin as Obama Enters Second Year - FoxNews.com

Karl Rove: The Blame-Bush Game Plan Won't Work - WSJ.com

Poll: Public wants Obama to stop blaming Bush | Matthew Sheffield | Beltway Confidential | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2009/05/poll-public-wants-obama-stop-blaming-bush - broken link)
Why are you posting lies? Bush never claimed credit for the operation that killed Bin Laden. He DID, however, lay the groundwork that made it all possible.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:37 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Because it was the BUSH DOCTRINE and his policies that got UBL. Barry gets "credit" for allowing the intel programs to continue.

Actually,no, it was the Bush doctrine that got us into an unecessary and costly war in Iraq.

So, for that I WILL give Gee Dubya the credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies