Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 03:16 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,472,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Somehow, I don't think that someone who is being denigrated for taking too much responsibility has a problem owning up to things.

Not so different from Bush declaring himself the 'decider.'
Bush's speeches were not all about him.
It took Obama 16 hours to "make the decison" to make that call. Everything that he has publicly avocated for or against, he turns around and does the opposite. This man denounced waterboarding, but yet allowed it to be used to get this info.
He wanted the other terrorists to be tried in a court here, instead of a military court. And yet has OBL killed, instead of captured.
He pushed for the release of the pictures of Abu Grab, while knowing full well, that it would hurt our troops, but yet he will not release pictures of OBL. He allows pictures of our troops, dead, out for print, by not OBL?
He has no idea what he is doing. That is why he should not get nearly as much glory as he is giving himself.
Obama is afraid of the terrorists. Plain and simple. He should show the pictures, and say this is what you will get if you mess with America.
Muslim terroists hate us, no matter what we do or don't do. It is their mission in life to destroy us, so showing the photos, will not make any difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 03:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,966,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
One guy's opinion. Cannot say I agree.
Ditto.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:20 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,396,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well, it IS all about him. It was all "I","I","I" in the announcement of OBL's death.

RealClearPolitics - Video - Father Of 9/11 Victim: Obama "Putting Too Much Spotlight On Himself"

Of course. Both obama and his machine and his media lapdogs are desperate to turn the tide on his rotten job performance.

They will do anything to prop him up and protect him.

He loves to preen and prance about, patting himself on the back. His minions care about one thing - optics and image and tamping down any criticism or dissent in the media.
Statistically, I guess it was inevitable there'd be one Winger in the crowd!

Personally, I thought the way this event was handled was really moving. It is a great day for the country, not any particular political party. There is plenty for everyone to feel proud about.

But, the Right Wing brain just doesn't work that way. Its always zero-sum, I win/ You lose, no compromises. It is an attitude that is endangering our democracy.

I just wish Bush had been there, to get some closure for himself, and help project an image of national unity and strength to the world.

But I guess he had something better to do.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:20 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,472,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Obama's Approval Rating Jumps After Raid - NYTimes.com

"Obama's approval numbers jumped 11 points in a new New York Times/CBS News survey out Wednesday morning after the raid that killed Osama bin Laden. The president’s approval rating now stands at 57 percent, up from 46 percent in the most recent survey. Will it last? After Saddam Hussein, the former ruler of Iraq, was captured during the presidency of George W. Bush, Mr. Bush got an 8-point bump. But it only lasted a month."

Enjoy it while you can Folks weren't really thinking
that much about OBL before Obama announced he
had been killed. Give it 6 months, and folks won't
care that much, even though Obama will keep
bringing it up.

Come election time - they'll be voting with their
wallets, not with a Big Fish Tale
11 points isn't much. Not much to get all excited about. Once he drops back down, then he will release the photos to try to boost his rating.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:35 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,250,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Give the "ok" from his desk 7k miles away?

LMAO....that's a strange way of putting it. The man was presented with a plethora of options, in person, not 7 thousand miles away.... and HE CHOSE the option that was carried out at a pretty good risk to his presidency.

If this operation had failed, like it did in Jimmy Carter's case, he'd be taking ALL the blame from you guys. But since success has more fathers than failure does, you want to deny him his rightful paternity in this case.
I guess not all of us have ACTUALLY seen military service, and some have obviously never even had a discussion with anyone who served. BTW, if the operation failed (as countless others did), nobody would even have known it was attempted--unless someone at a low level leaked the news, and the mainstream media (which does NOTHING without the express approval of government nowadays) for some strange reason decided to publicize it.

Under this type of misconception, I suppose the CEO of General Electric is the person the Plant Manager calls when they have a particularly complex technical problem at one of the production plants. Pretty much all adults who have worked in even a mid-sized business know this is far from the case. There's a reason that the Robber-Baron CEOs can go from one to another totally different companies (from a software company to a toothpaste producer, for example) with NO time spent learning the business. It's because the actual business is run by the lower-level staff. It would run fine--in most cases, far better--if upper management never showed up at all.

All the CEO and his "Traveling Management Show" does is come up with brilliant ideas like "Cut the workforce 10% again this year!" so he can then pocket the former worker's compensation in addition to his own massive chunk of the profits. After all, he deserves many millions for having the genius to figure out how to "increase productivity" while "cutting costs."

Federal government is no different than a gigantic mega-corporation (with the exception of being able to take their "income" by force, and not being required to give anything in return--a legal version of the Mob).

Old 05-05-2011, 03:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,276,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I guess not all of us have ACTUALLY seen military service, and some have obviously never even had a discussion with anyone who served. BTW, if the operation failed (as countless others did), nobody would even have known it was attempted--unless someone at a low level leaked the news, and the mainstream media (which does NOTHING without the express approval of government nowadays) for some strange reason decided to publicize it.

Under this type of misconception, I suppose the CEO of General Electric is the person the Plant Manager calls when they have a particularly complex technical problem at one of the production plants. Pretty much all adults who have worked in even a mid-sized business know this is far from the case. There's a reason that the Robber-Baron CEOs can go from one to another totally different companies (from a software company to a toothpaste producer, for example) with NO time spent learning the business. It's because the actual business is run by the lower-level staff. It would run fine--in most cases, far better--if upper management never showed up at all.

All the CEO and his "Traveling Management Show" does is come up with brilliant ideas like "Cut the workforce 10% again this year!" so he can then pocket the former worker's compensation in addition to his own massive chunk of the profits. After all, he deserves many millions for having the genius to figure out how to "increase productivity" while "cutting costs."

Federal government is no different than a gigantic mega-corporation (with the exception of being able to take their "income" by force, and not being required to give anything in return--a legal version of the Mob).
I did see military service, but that's here nor there.

Keeping a failed operation under wraps is tough. We found out about the attempt to save the hostages in Iran. We certainly know about Black Hawk Down.

At the same time, if those sailors had failed in Pakistan, we'd know. They would've likely been taken prisoner by some group and displayed prominently. There was inherent risk in this operation on the part of the Seal's AND the Obama administration. And just like the Iranian Hostage rescue attempt sank Carter's presidency, this operation would've certainly sunk Obama's....and if it didn't, it damn sure would've hurt it pretty damn bad.

Obviously, President Obama didn't pull any triggers, and ultimately, the glory goes to the brave sailors who knew their sh*t and carried it out. I'm not confused, nor will i get it twisted. I know who to give proper credit too. But still, for some people to get bent out of shape because Obama is at the wheel while this operation was put in place is stupid and petty.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:43 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:

If this operation had failed, like it did in Jimmy Carter's case, he'd be taking ALL the blame from you guys. But since success has more fathers than failure does, you want to deny him his rightful paternity in this case.
I give Obama administration credit for OBL but I don't
think there was the risk factor element, Jimmy Carter had to deal with. Carter's involved 52 American
civilian lives. It was quite the public crisis.

If Obama's operation had failed, how would we even know
about it. It was done in total secrecy.
It involved no American civilians - just our Navy Seals who take life/ death risks all the time, and OBL and his little gang - who now, they are saying were unarmed.

We might not of even been told about it
right away, if they didn't have to leave that helicopter behind for the Pakistan government to find the next
day.

We only know what they tell us. It didn't even
involve cooperation with another country.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,276,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I give Obama administration credit for OBL but I don't
think there was the risk factor element, Jimmy Carter had to deal with. Carter's involved 52 American
civilian lives. It was quite the public crisis.

If Obama's operation had failed, how would we even know
about it. It was done in total secrecy.
It involved no American civilians - just our Navy Seals who take life/ death risks all the time, and OBL and his little gang - who now, they are saying were unarmed.

We might not of even been told about it
right away, if they didn't have to leave that helicopter behind for the Pakistan government to find the next
day.

We only know what they tell us. It didn't even
involve cooperation with another country.
You'd know...especially if the failure was catastrophic. Contrary to some belief, the Pakistani's have no love for us. A helicopter DID fail. What if multiple helicopters failed? Or if the people on that compound was heavily armed? Those sailors went into that place fairly blind....of that i'm sure.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:54 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,767,096 times
I also thought of one other thing. Obama that night reminded me of the King John character in the recent Russel Crowe movie, "Robin Hood".

In the final battle sequence, he tells Russ and the other experienced generals, "I'll lead, it's my first time". The childish energy of a young king, suddenly beefed up having been flanked by daring compatriots.

It's simply the inexperiencedness of the human subconscious that came to the fore for Obama that night, perhaps. He was so thrilled and energized on his first ever achievement in the chair and he came across like he would make the most of this opportunity against an army of nuts who have been criticizing him for inaction, inexperience and even his birth. It was truly his most triumphant night and the kid in him came outside.

Nothing wrong in that. It's just that the office he holds is always known for statesman-like restraint and mild yet powerful language. Or in all honesty, the one who wrote that speech for him was either over-excited or wanted to give his energetic best for his boss.

Well, whatever the case, I hope he fixes up jobs in the coming months. That's what we all truly want, including the partisan nuts

Old 05-05-2011, 04:00 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
You'd know...especially if the failure was catastrophic. Contrary to some belief, the Pakistani's have no love for us. A helicopter DID fail. What if multiple helicopters failed? Or if the people on that compound was heavily armed? Those sailors went into that place fairly blind....of that i'm sure.
I don't think anyone over there "loves" us.

I think the opposite. I think the CIA whatever had
watched, knew who, how many, etc months before they attempted this kill IMO.

I'm not saying no risk was involved. That's what Navy
Seals do best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies