Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 04:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
they let their agenda get in the way of the truth!
BS! The one who let their agenda get in the way of the truth is not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 05:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
BS! The one who let their agenda get in the way of the truth is not me.
And what agenda would that be? If you are going to accuse me of having one, please fill me in on what it is..

Its not an agenda to post FACTS that government currently contracts out healthcare services to private industries.. Well, ok, maybe one could accuse me of having a fact finding agenda.. Ooh no.. we dont want people to post facts, do we?

Old 05-12-2011, 05:55 PM

8,420 posts, read 7,425,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
wow, I thought I was long winded

but you really cant very much at all

the average hospital has an average monthly ELECTRIC BILL of $400,000...thats nearly 5 million a year...just on electric....not to mention laundry, custodial, sanitation, food service, etc

most people never see the nuts and bolts of a thing, just the outside
But one very telling point in Mircea's very long post was that clinics are more efficient than hospitals at delivering health care.

It doesn't matter that a hospital has an electric bill of $400K each month.

Tear down the hospital and replace it with one or more clinics.

The fact that the more cost efficient clinics aren't reducing the number of hospitals seems to indicate to me that the health care industry doesn't run according to free-market principles.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:00 PM

8,420 posts, read 7,425,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You cant IGNORE future cost liabilities and proclaim you have a profit..
All corporations do exactly that when they have bonds outstanding.

From an accounting perspective debt is different than expense - liabilities go on the balance sheet and not the income statement.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:01 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,898,659 times
I am so fed up with healthcare in this country. It's pure robery.

For those who are against any type of reform, or change, let me ask you about my personal situation:
I have asthma. I am on advair and it does help keep my asthma under controll. I takes it twice a day, and I get it monthly.

Without insurance, it costs ~$260

I am currently on my partner's health insurance at work. He pays $140 per pay. That's $280 a month. The prescription plan is pretty good, as I purchase advair for ~$23.

So, during the months I don't get sick or need to go to the hospital.. we pay $280 a month, so I can spend $23 on advair instead of $250?

This is so pointless.
I am all for the free market and the government staying out of our lives, but jeeze.. this is our health. I'm not asking for it to be free. I want it to be affordable. This IS a need, this is not a want.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
All corporations do exactly that when they have bonds outstanding.
No they dont. All corporations are required to disclose the amount of bonds outstanding.
Quote:
From an accounting perspective debt is different than expense - liabilities go on the balance sheet and not the income statement.
And the Social Security liabilities appear NO WHERE on a balance sheet.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I am so fed up with healthcare in this country. It's pure robery.

For those who are against any type of reform, or change, let me ask you about my personal situation:
I have asthma. I am on advair and it does help keep my asthma under controll. I takes it twice a day, and I get it monthly.

Without insurance, it costs ~$260

I am currently on my partner's health insurance at work. He pays $140 per pay. That's $280 a month. The prescription plan is pretty good, as I purchase advair for ~$23.

So, during the months I don't get sick or need to go to the hospital.. we pay $280 a month, so I can spend $23 on advair instead of $250?

This is so pointless.
I am all for the free market and the government staying out of our lives, but jeeze.. this is our health. I'm not asking for it to be free. I want it to be affordable. This IS a need, this is not a want.
The $280 a month you pay is for ALL medical coverage. The fact that you ONLY need it for advair most of the time doesnt mean that you wont have an accident or some other medical emergency.

Its like complaining because you have home insurance or car insurance, and never need it.

As for your prescription problem, Glaxo Smith Klein might help you pay for your prescription http://www.gskforyou.com/

Old 05-12-2011, 06:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
But one very telling point in Mircea's very long post was that clinics are more efficient than hospitals at delivering health care.

The fact that the more cost efficient clinics aren't reducing the number of hospitals seems to indicate to me that the health care industry doesn't run according to free-market principles.
You nor the person you referenced seem to have a grasp of how health care works these days. Health care has been moving out of the hospitals for decades. No one goes to the hospital for "tests" any more, like my father did in the late 60s, back when "insurance was only for hospitalization". Very few people go in to the hospital the night before surgery, like they did when I did hospital nursing in the early 70s, back when "insurance was only for hospitalization". New moms don't stay for five days after delivery any more, like they did when "insurance was only for hospitlalization". No one spends a week in the hospital after an appendectomy, like they did back in the day. New diabetics aren't hospitalized for education and stabilization, like they were back in the day. Most care is either ICU or home care. People come home "quicker and sicker".

Old 05-12-2011, 09:35 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,898,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The $280 a month you pay is for ALL medical coverage. The fact that you ONLY need it for advair most of the time doesnt mean that you wont have an accident or some other medical emergency.

Its like complaining because you have home insurance or car insurance, and never need it.

As for your prescription problem, Glaxo Smith Klein might help you pay for your prescription Prescription Drug Coverage and Prescription Assistance Programs at GSKForYou.com
I understand that! But my partner a few months ago went to get an MRI done due to severe pain in his abdomen. Yet, we still received a $500 bill. But I guess that's ok, too.

I also have to pay $30 just to go see the doctor.
It just seems pointless to pay fees, just to get "reduced" priced services.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:40 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:

clinics are more efficient????

you mean crappy assembly line care

that's what the government and the insurace wants to give you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies