Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Office space may be a larger cost than say, pencils (supplies), but the major cost of any organization is: labor.
yes the biggest cost is labor

but housing and equipment come in 2nd and 3rd

how do we fix that???

should we limit doctor and nurse pay to minimum wage???

you cant really lower the ACTUAL COST of care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 09:03 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
what ever in the world are you going on about? rejected, starving??? medicare? makes no sense whatsoever. None.

an addition 20K in taxes? try not getting your info from chain-emails....

and talking about "fair tax" is it fair that Exxon, Chevron, GE, and so many others pay NO TAX to the US Gov't?

I wouldn't even define them as american companies anymore.
Where do you get your informatio that those companies pay no tax?just yesterday the numbers they pay were released in the senate by Laundro a demcrat.The fact is it was you democratic control, senate and house that formul;aed the heathcare bill and even then its not really paid for.This bill has no chance of passing. If medicare is so well run anf funded then you perhaps need to look at the CBO reports and its own wrnings to the last two presdient o going broke as require by law. Then you need to look at democrats proposal to save it which is higher medicare taxes on workers. You seem to live in a dream world where money grows o trees. This has zero chance of passage. Its meedicaid that ios a single payer system ;nopt medicare.Want to bet it never gets to the floor ?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:31 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
sure medicare 'overhead' is a lower percentage

but what does that have to do with the cost of CARE

if I go to a doctor and he/she charges me $100 and I pay $100 ..what percenatge went to the insurance or government for 'overhead'....NOTHING

why

why sould I pay taxes for a health care..when I dont go to a doctor???

I want incuranse (corporations) AND the government (antother corporation) out of the health care business

my health care and its cost should be between ME and MY DOCTOR....not some insurance or government shill
Cut it out WCH, you're killing me!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:00 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Most Progressives, myself included, felt the Obama plan didn't go far enough. The intention was good, and there are some genuinely important pieces in it, but once the Public Option came off the table (in another cave to the GOP) it essentially became a handout to the Insurance Companies.

Mandates without a public option are merely handouts to the same insurance companies that have been denying coverage and very often flat-out-screwing people once they become sick.

l don't think this legislation has a prayer of passing but I applaud my Senator Bernie Sanders and Rep. Jim McDermott for at least trying.
It must be great to be a progressive nowadays, with so many politicians thinking we can keep providing everything in life to everyone for free. Why I guess the only thing to figure out is how to pay for things so we can keep giving you guys more and more..

ooh wait, nope, no need to pay for it either.. We'll just bankrupt our children so we can have things now..

How selfish!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I agree....and Sanders is awesome, he actually fights for average middle class Americans!. Heard him speak many times and it's always the voice of reason and practicality.
When did giving you welfare, become a figbt for middle class americans?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Well, if you want to split hairs like that, you're right. But the 80% part is single-payer, and they do it with a much lower overhead than the private insurances.
Actually you are wrong.. private insurances do things MUCH cheaper than governments and their "single payer" systems. Thats why government NOW contracts out healthcare costs for things like medicaid, prisoner healthcare, even medicare..

Old 05-12-2011, 10:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually you are wrong.. private insurances do things MUCH cheaper than governments and their "single payer" systems. Thats why government NOW contracts out healthcare costs for things like medicaid, prisoner healthcare, even medicare..
Provide a link to show the above is true.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Provide a link to show the above is true.
Which part?
BlueSalud Medicaid Health Insurance Plan ? Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico
BlueSalud is a health insurance plan that is part of New Mexico’s Salud! Medicaid program

Anthem Blue Cross And Blue Shield Selected For Indiana Medicaid Contract
The Indiana Family and Social Services Administration (FSSA) has selected Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield (Anthem) in Indiana for contract negotiations to provide health care benefits to enrollees in the Hoosier Healthwise Medicaid

I'm pretty sure EVERY state contracts out healthcare to private industries now..

Wexford Health Sources: Homepage
Wexford Health Sources, the nation's leading innovative correctional health care company, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality

Old 05-12-2011, 10:10 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Provide the numbers to back up your claims.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Provide the numbers to back up your claims.
Read the thread before responding. I already did post examples. There isnt one state (that I know of) in the country that doesnt contract out healthcare for things like medicaid..

Its why big insurance companies got behidn the current plan, they all knew that this would mean more business for THEM, not government competition, because government would pass these contracts onto private industry.

Another example of liberals who supported something, and didnt even know what they were supporting..

Old 05-12-2011, 10:16 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Read the thread before responding. I already did post examples. There isnt one state (that I know of) in the country that doesnt contract out healthcare for things like medicaid..

Its why big insurance companies got behidn the current plan, they all knew that this would mean more business for THEM, not government competition, because government would pass these contracts onto private industry.

Another example of liberals who supported something, and didnt even know what they were supporting..
Which specific thread have you provided the numbers to prove your point? I have not seen any. The one point on the subject I see is that you've listed one of the MCOs, a practice the state has engaged in since the 1990s? I'm asking for evidence that demonstrates lower costs through private enterprise. I would say that a major problem with Medicare costs (besides the high risk clientele) is the public-private venture... capitalize profits, socialize losses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies