Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 05:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Maybe I'm just old school... whatever happened to working your way through college?

I did and the rest of my family did also... no loans or help from parents... there were no tax deferred education plans like today and student loans were certainly less of the equation.

It may take a little longer... but this too can be a good thing.

I hate to say it... I know way too many young adults that have dropped out of college and money was the least of their concerns... parents, grandparents and even a few had scholarships and still dropped out.

Maybe, like with most things... you really don't have the same appreciation when something is given to you as opposed to earning it yourself.
Exactly. These students go to college so they can make more money than those who don't. So let them pay their own way, it's their future incomes - let them work for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 06:28 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times
Ignorance to facts (tuition rising faster than wages, thus making it less likely to graduate on work alone...unless you focus more on work than school) is bliss.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:25 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
So it's hopeless then?

The people, through our Government have been spending money we do not have for too long...

It doesn't take a genius to figure out this is not sustainable.

Today I just bought a new battery for my car... 10 years ago, the exact same battery from the same store cost me $41 and today it was $135... more than 300% increase in just 10 years...

I need some 1/2 inch copper water pipe... can't even get a price in advance because it is now sold at market price adjusted daily at the wholesale house... same with copper wire...

Fact is people still go to school and many schools are overwhelmed with applications... so, somehow, even in this time of financial crisis... there is not shortage of students.

Maybe those I know are atypical.

A young man got a full sports scholarship for swimming and another young lady for tennis... know several that row crew and also have significant athletic scholarships.

Then there are those with academic scholarships... one is getting a full ride at UCLA for her Doctorate and another is getting her Masters in Chemistry at the University of Iowa... some areas, like Chemistry have more women scholarships then qualified applicants.

In addition, there is the very generous GI Bill... a path for many over the years...

I have only scratched the surface... the Portuguese Society offers two full scholarships that I'm aware and Native Americans have many tribal resources.

Those going into medicine can agree to have much of their student loans forgiven by working in under-served communities.

I work in medical and we have several Nurses that received tuition through Kaiser Hospital in exchange for working there... another example of working your way through college.

Each generation believes none that came before had any obstacles to overcome... it is part of the growing-up process.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-14-2011 at 10:44 PM..

Old 05-14-2011, 10:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Everyone go to college for the third time: Michelle said so.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:40 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
So they will be working at Wal-Mart and Home Depot for the rest of their lives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Exactly. These students go to college so they can make more money than those who don't. So let them pay their own way, it's their future incomes - let them work for it.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:39 PM

251 posts, read 767,808 times
i had to pay out of state tuition and thought i paid a lot of money, now i will have to pay even more being in the state i graduated high school from.

i just wonder if it was worth coming back just so i can graduate with a degree.

either way, it will suck and i'm sure they will impose a hike in tuition. they've been raising fees for at least two years straight.

if it's expensive for in-state students ... i can only imagine how much more international students will have to pay.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:05 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times
Quote:
So it's hopeless then?

The people, through our Government have been spending money we do not have for too long...

It doesn't take a genius to figure out this is not sustainable.

Today I just bought a new battery for my car... 10 years ago, the exact same battery from the same store cost me $41 and today it was $135... more than 300% increase in just 10 years...

I need some 1/2 inch copper water pipe... can't even get a price in advance because it is now sold at market price adjusted daily at the wholesale house... same with copper wire...

Fact is people still go to school and many schools are overwhelmed with applications... so, somehow, even in this time of financial crisis... there is not shortage of students.

Maybe those I know are atypical.

A young man got a full sports scholarship for swimming and another young lady for tennis... know several that row crew and also have significant athletic scholarships.

Then there are those with academic scholarships... one is getting a full ride at UCLA for her Doctorate and another is getting her Masters in Chemistry at the University of Iowa... some areas, like Chemistry have more women scholarships then qualified applicants.

In addition, there is the very generous GI Bill... a path for many over the years...

I have only scratched the surface... the Portuguese Society offers two full scholarships that I'm aware and Native Americans have many tribal resources.

Those going into medicine can agree to have much of their student loans forgiven by working in under-served communities.

I work in medical and we have several Nurses that received tuition through Kaiser Hospital in exchange for working there... another example of working your way through college.

Each generation believes none that came before had any obstacles to overcome... it is part of the growing-up process.
Scholarships are limited, thus not EVERYONE will get the money required. Also, full rides are rare indeed.

Scholarships may address individual solutions, but not a systematic one.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:12 AM

50,297 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm just old school... whatever happened to working your way through college?

I did and the rest of my family did also... no loans or help from parents... there were no tax deferred education plans like today and student loans were certainly less of the equation.

It may take a little longer... but this too can be a good thing.

I hate to say it... I know way too many young adults that have dropped out of college and money was the least of their concerns... parents, grandparents and even a few had scholarships and still dropped out.

Maybe, like with most things... you really don't have the same appreciation when something is given to you as opposed to earning it yourself.
If we had jobs, even part time, and made it through school I am hopeful today's youth can too.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:26 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
What do you expect? People cut subsidies to college education, some one's got to pay for it. Payment comes from one of two places, people can't cut one place and complain about the payment going up in the other. I swear I wonder if people can't see simple cause and effect anymore.

Doesn't hurt me, this in fact helps me. When smart people can't go to college (and grad school) because of cost, the supply of labor in my job class goes down...increasing my wages. My wages allow me to sock away even more money for my kids tuition in order to make sure they are well educated, because the supply of labor with these degrees are going down.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:06 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Scholarships are limited, thus not EVERYONE will get the money required. Also, full rides are rare indeed.

Scholarships may address individual solutions, but not a systematic one.
The same can be said for higher education... not everyone meets the admission requirements...

I wonder how beneficial it is for many to go back to school if it means incurring lots of debt?

Husband of a friend was laid-off when the Toyota plant closed... he has not been in school for 30 years and is now attending... he has to if he wants to avail himself of the maximum severance package offered.

There are nearly 5000 of his co-workers in the same position...

My father taught High School and firmly believed a High School Diploma was essential... believing this, he had students that did quite well for themselves without the benefit of a 4 year or more college degree.

They became police officers, nurses, plumbers, electricians and one even became the mayor of a local town and another is a very successful restaurateur.

Higher Education is just one path of many.

The man I bought my first home from was a UC Berkeley graduate and spent his career as a letter carrier and tutored high school students nights and weekends for 50 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies